Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Kent @6:30 PM CBSSN (Alumni Arena - Buffalo, NY)

7 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Another Halcovage quote from Lenzi's report on the game:

UB men’s basketball drops eighth consecutive loss, 83-52 against Kent State

UB took too many outside chances, but also had too little inside production. The Bulls scored only 20 points in the paint, and had only seven rebounds to Kent State’s 21 in the first half. Kent State finished with 46 rebounds (including 14 offensive rebounds) to UB’s 22.

“We’ve got to learn how to mix it up with the guys out there, because we talk about it, a lot,” Halcovage III said. “We want to catch to shoot if we’re open, and if the shot’s not there, make the extra pass or get in the lane. We didn’t get in the lane enough. And sometimes, we got in there and we weren’t strong and tough with the ball, and we turned it over.”

giphy.gif

All decent quotes from Coach H. But and and big but what he is saying that if that is what he is telling his players they have not done that all year. Now all of a sudden he is talking like a coach. Give me a break. If some of these players are not listening take them off the floor, chew them out. Do something. The heat is really on now with losing some of UB’s  fans. I am sorry for my rants as I have been out of town for awhile and getting back and watching some replays and talking to my family and friends we are as frustrated and disappointed with what has happened over the last few years.I will close with staying off and just listening to other opinions.

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

Was Hodgson offered or did he turn us down?

I recall he was talking to them, but he had his own demands. At the same time as he was still on staff here officially, he was also seen in Tuscaloosa with Oats with Alabama stuff on.  It wasn't a good look.

He was and is a great recruiter - credit where credit is due.  His actual coaching resume was really thin (see his wikipedia page).

Edited by enrique14150

7 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I believe it was said that he needed a vet, an NBA player and the third seat could be whoever he wanted 

If I remember right Oats assistant coach hires were Donyell Marshall as the NBA Player, Whitesell as the vet with experience and Hodgson for his recruiting ties. Great Staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

I recall he was talking to them, but he had his own demands. At the same time as he was still on staff here officially, he was also seen in Tuscaloosa with Oats with Alabama stuff on.  It wasn't a good look.

He was and is a great recruiter - credit where credit is due.  His actual coaching resume was really thin (see his wikipedia page).

I actually haven’t a lot good things about him. I’m glad we passed on him imo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

The hope was we got a "Jay Wright", unfortunately, it took Jay a few years to have some success.

image.png.85afce0d62c81ae6c989c0ce94fef5d3.png

I’d take 10-18 for season 1 with a new HC.  With UB’s remaining schedule I’m seeing no better than 4-27 for GH3’s season 1.  If we could somehow sneak our way to 6 wins at least we could say they finished the season on a little bit of an upswing.  But seeing how we lack the “grit” to play strong defense or rebound, I don’t see that being very likely 😐

If I were the AD, tapping into UB’s Fund in Athletic Supreme Court Output would be at the top of my priorities. Pay off the fired coaches. Lure the best coaches with top salaries. And to forestall bickering concerning favoritism, FIASCO wouldn’t be limited to Basketball. All teams would have access, but primarily Basketball and Football. The money is there. Tripathi knows it. Do you want to be a laughing stock or an academic powerhouse? Please, do the right thing: Put the money where it will do the most good for the University’s reputation. Cut faculty salaries across the board by $5000. Funnel the proceeds to Alnutt’s department. Watch as UB regains the glory that has eluded its grasp

Zaakir is the only guy who plays consistently tough in the paint and it's not a coincidence it's because he is the lone guy who was here when some of our past culture was still employed.

Anyone on this roster even know how to take a charge?

15 hours ago, squire17 said:

If I were the AD, tapping into UB’s Fund in Athletic Supreme Court Output would be at the top of my priorities. Pay off the fired coaches. Lure the best coaches with top salaries. And to forestall bickering concerning favoritism, FIASCO wouldn’t be limited to Basketball. All teams would have access, but primarily Basketball and Football. The money is there. Tripathi knows it. Do you want to be a laughing stock or an academic powerhouse? Please, do the right thing: Put the money where it will do the most good for the University’s reputation. Cut faculty salaries across the board by $5000. Funnel the proceeds to Alnutt’s department. Watch as UB regains the glory that has eluded its grasp

One of the things I heard some donors with much deeper pockets than me grumbling about when Oats was here is that Tripathi won’t allow any coach to make more than him. No idea if there’s truth to that, but the money is there without cutting academic salaries. The President just won’t invest in our programs to be more than middling. 

16 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

One of the things I heard some donors with much deeper pockets than me grumbling about when Oats was here is that Tripathi won’t allow any coach to make more than him. No idea if there’s truth to that, but the money is there without cutting academic salaries. The President just won’t invest in our programs to be more than middling. 

There have been coaches with higher base wages than Tripathi.