Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Kent St. | Tue. 2/27 @ 7pm | ESPN+

Why on game 28 is Fulcher out of nowhere trying to make these circus passes? That's two directly leading to turnovers so far I'm not sure we've seen that all year.

Sullinger needs to chill. That guy is some player.

This board has given this team a lot of credit for not quitting... but I'm afraid that's not an accolade we can give these guys so far tonight. The last 5 or so minutes of that half were a team that looked like they quit, in my opinion.

And I feel for them. I really do. Gotta remember these are kids. They're a 4 win team a few days out from the season being over. Can't imagine it's easy to get up and be motivated to play under those circumstances.

I feel for Sy, who is likely playing his last competitive basketball on US soil. I feel for the freshman who I'm sure didn't imagine year one of college ball feeling this way. I don't really feel for everyone else because I'm sure they've got one eye on the transfer portal at this point, lord knows I would. Except for Zaakir, whose hill I will die on until he graduates or transfers 😅

And it's a shame, because really all we have to look forward to as fans right now is effort, growth, semblance of culture... and the way this season has gone, well, that's a near impossible ask to get from this group, in this day and age of NIL and it's impact on mid-major conferences.

Not really sure what else there is to say... Go Bulls 🤘

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eyjee said:

This board has given this team a lot of credit for not quitting... but I'm afraid that's not an accolade we can give these guys so far tonight. The last 5 or so minutes of that half were a team that looked like they quit, in my opinion.

And I feel for them. I really do. Gotta remember these are kids. They're a 4 win team a few days out from the season being over. Can't imagine it's easy to get up and be motivated to play under those circumstances.

I feel for Sy, who is likely playing his last competitive basketball on US soil. I feel for the freshman who I'm sure didn't imagine year one of college ball feeling this way. I don't really feel for everyone else because I'm sure they've got one eye on the transfer portal at this point, lord knows I would. Except for Zaakir, whose hill I will die on until he graduates or transfers 😅

And it's a shame, because really all we have to look forward to as fans right now is effort, growth, semblance of culture... and the way this season has gone, well, that's a near impossible ask to get from this group, in this day and age of NIL and it's impact on mid-major conferences.

I wish there was some culture or identity or something we could point to as a start for next season. I cannot find it. Looks like ground zero next year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eyjee said:

Not sure there is *a lot of credit being given for not quitting. This team is plain old bad. 

4 minutes ago, squire17 said:

UB is bad, but I think that they have improved from the start of the season at least. This game would be a lot closer if Chatman was having an average game and Sullinger wasn’t sinking 40 footers.

Pretty spot on. Was going to post almost the exact observation.

Bulls finally hit the 40% mark from 3 at 6/13 but Kent with the 22-8 advantage on pts off turnovers was the difference.  Trying to find some positives… Sabol has found his stroke the past couple games, Wilson with 8 pts, and Boldin back on the court.  Bench contributed 15 pts and 14 rebs.  Maybe we surprise Toledo on Saturday, but something tells me they’ll be ready after falling to NIU at home tonight.

Edited by Bluebird96

Let me ask UB Bulls fans something that defend George Halcovage and this teams effort. Here is the bottom line do you see the UB Bulls basketball winning the MAC and going to the NCAA tournament? If the answer is no maybe 10 to 15 wins next season? Ok if that is the answer then what the hell is the point of going forward with head coach George Halcovage for another season? How do you sell tickets for that crap. Hey Bob UB Bulls really try hard last game. It’s ridiculous UB Bulls have become Canisius University and Niagara University with low standards. This is the New York State flagship university and they are rolling out crap and aren’t going to change a thing because of money. Sorry that isn’t big time or a New York Public Powerhouse that is Canisius and Niagara. The same programs many of you thought you were superior to you have become as a basketball program. There is no way George Halcovage should be brought back under any circumstance he needs to be fired. I don’t care if the UB janitor takes over the men’s basketball team next season. There is zero, zero chance of ever winning anything big with George Halcovage. At least with the UB Janitor as the 2024-25 UB Basketball head coach I have hope for UB Bulls basketball because the UB Janitor maybe can coach George Halcovage I know can’t coach in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

8 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

At least with the UB Janitor as the 2024-25 UB Basketball head coach I have hope for UB Bulls basketball because the UB Janitor maybe can coach George Halcovage I know can’t coach in my opinion.

You've got a reputation around here for having measured, sober-minded takes, but I'm sorry this one feels like outlandish hyperbole to me! 

Edited by MuchMany

6 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Depends who is retained and who is brought in, if we have a max exodus, we’re done.

Who that is retained vs leaving brings you hope into next year? Sy is done, Jo is surely leaving along with Adams. Sabol, Bolden, fulcher, McVeigh, Z, Wilson, graham + ??? gives off optimistic vibes? The "???" better be 2+ studs and 3+ strong role players because none of those potential returning guys are Alphas next year, and several aren't even strong enough to warrant time on a contending squad, sadly.

Fingers crossed for better days ahead.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, squire17 said:

UB is bad, but I think that they have improved from the start of the season at least.

Do we really think this? We started the season by beating Daemen, a strong D2 team that has even given some of our good teams trouble. Then we lost a close one to Fairleigh Dickinson who isn't an uber-talented team but retained a lot of the core that was last seen beating Purdue in the NCAA tournament. At the time, given the turnover, I was optimistic about being at least a middling MAC team as everything came together.

Since then we've seen individual improvement from Sabol and Boldin, and Graham got surprise eligibility and on-court results for the team have gotten worse. We lost by 19 to a terrible WMU team two games ago and people are saying we're improving?

Edited by trueblue32

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Do we really think this? We started the season by beating Daemen, a strong D2 team that has even given some of our good teams trouble. Then we lost a close one to Fairleigh Dickinson who isn't an uber-talented team but retained a lot of the core that was last seen beating Purdue in the NCAA tournament. At the time, given the turnover, I was optimistic about being a middling MAC team at least as everything came together.

Since then we've seen individual improvement from Sabol and Boldin, and Graham got surprise eligibility and on-court results for the team have gotten worse. We lost by 19 to a terrible WMU team two games ago and people are saying we're improving?

I am sure we have improved some...in that there are parts of the game (for minutes at a time) we are playing better basketball than we were during the first several games.  Of course, other teams have improved as well.

If a student fails an exam with a grade of 10 out of 100...then...after studying/training...takes the exam again and gets 20/100...you can say they improved a lot.  But...it's still 20.

38 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I am sure we have improved some...in that there are parts of the game (for minutes at a time) we are playing better basketball than we were during the first several games.  Of course, other teams have improved as well.

If a student fails an exam with a grade of 10 out of 100...then...after studying/training...takes the exam again and gets 20/100...you can say they improved a lot.  But...it's still 20.

On other teams improving: we have a first year coach, 283rd in minutes continuity, 305th in D1 experience. We had a multi-time transfer get eligibility mid-year. We should have had far more room for growth than most teams.

I guess my question is do we really believe we're scoring a 20% now? I don't know what result is leading people to that conclusion. We've gotten a few D1 wins, which maybe leads people to think we're improving, but I think that's much more a product of the strength of schedule falling off a cliff due to entering conference play in the worst MAC in ?? years. For reference, Niagara was probably our second worst OOC opponent, we lost by 6 to them. Analytics would slot them in as the 5th best MAC team this year, notably ahead of our best win, Central Michigan.

Edited by trueblue32

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Who that is retained vs leaving brings you hope into next year? Sy is done, Jo is surely leaving along with Adams. Sabol, Bolden, fulcher, McVeigh, Z, Wilson, graham + ??? gives off optimistic vibes? The "???" better be 2+ studs and 3+ strong role players because none of those potential returning guys are Alphas next year, and several aren't even strong enough to warrant time on a contending squad, sadly.

Fingers crossed for better days ahead.

Do you want us to have a whole new team? We need some pieces to stick around. Right now, I’m looking at my exodus yearly unless we have an NIL