Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum
Sign in to follow this  
961819

Transfer Speculation

Recommended Posts

I fully expect to get some hate for this. I’ll start this by saying I don’t want this situation to happen, however there are some interesting signs pointing to it’s possibility. Recently UNLV fires their coach. This caused one of their players, Amauri Hardy, to enter the transfer portal. Amauri Hardy is an interesting player, he’s from Detroit and has connections to Nate Oats. UB also offered him a scholarship when he was in high school. He is a 4 star PG with previous connections to our coaching staff who showed previous interest in our school during his original recruiting process. Jayvon Graves also followed Hardy on twitter about an hour after Hardy announced his transfer intentions.

This is purely speculation, but Segu got absolutely zero meaningful playing time during the tournament, the time he did get was garbage time. This is really inexplicable especially when Jordan and Caruthers ran into foul trouble. I have a feeling he may have told the coaches he wants to transfer or did something to get on their bad side. If this is true, which it probably isn’t but IF it is, we would surely be in contention to land Hardy as his replacement. Personally I like the potential Segu has and see a bright future for him and wouldn’t want this to happen, however Hardy brings a stronger scoring presence. He averaged 13.1 ppg on 43.9% shooting, 34.1% from 3. Multiple 20 point games. 

Again this is all speculation and primarily due to boredom at the lack of recent news about the team lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I fully expect to get some hate for this. I’ll start this by saying I don’t want this situation to happen, however there are some interesting signs pointing to it’s possibility. Recently UNLV fires their coach. This caused one of their players, Amauri Hardy, to enter the transfer portal. Amauri Hardy is an interesting player, he’s from Detroit and has connections to Nate Oats. UB also offered him a scholarship when he was in high school. He is a 4 star PG with previous connections to our coaching staff who showed previous interest in our school during his original recruiting process. Jayvon Graves also followed Hardy on twitter about an hour after Hardy announced his transfer intentions.

This is purely speculation, but Segu got absolutely zero meaningful playing time during the tournament, the time he did get was garbage time. This is really inexplicable especially when Jordan and Caruthers ran into foul trouble. I have a feeling he may have told the coaches he wants to transfer or did something to get on their bad side. If this is true, which it probably isn’t but IF it is, we would surely be in contention to land Hardy as his replacement. Personally I like the potential Segu has and see a bright future for him and wouldn’t want this to happen, however Hardy brings a stronger scoring presence. He averaged 13.1 ppg on 43.9% shooting, 34.1% from 3. Multiple 20 point games. 

Again this is all speculation and primarily due to boredom at the lack of recent news about the team lol

I think there could be something to it, especially with half the MAC transferring and NCAA basically getting a free agent period now. 

I'd have to imagine Segu wants starting minutes and has a tough road still with Antwain Johnson in front of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this isn't the case as I always like to see a core stick together but if the coaching staff knows something we don't, I trust them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The landscape of college basketball has changed. Transferring is no longer looked at as a negative thing. In fact you are seeing now...players on mid majors have a good season or two then look to transfer to big programs. Or bc of coaching changes players bolt. Look at the kid from Ohio that just transferred. He is now at Xavier. It’s just another way to find talent aside from high school recruiting and JUCO ranks. 

I hope no one transfers. Especially Rondo. But if he were to I think his stock is pretty low...would he be able to do better than us?

Edited by DooleyBull06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'd have to imagine Segu wants starting minutes and has a tough road still with Antwain Johnson in front of him. 

I think he just maybe want minutes in general and next year he will definitely get them if he proves to not be a liability on both ends of the floor. I would think he's gonna be the first guard to come off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hope no one transfers. Especially Rondo. But if he were to I think his stock is pretty low...would he be able to do better than us?

What do you mean by this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hope no one transfers. Especially Rondo. But if he were to I think his stock is pretty low...would he be able to do better than us?

If he wants minutes, then lower.  Be an all star on a low major.

But there's a ton of minutes that are graduating too.  Last year I was worried that Graves would transfer, but he got a decent amount of minutes and has started with Wes' graduation.  Segu could start next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I dont buy it. Again, I know this is speculation but Rondo seemed very happy on this team and will clearly play a big role this coming year (based on the minutes he was getting before the NCAA tourney). I would assume the coaching staff made it clear that he didn't get any minutes in the 2 games because we were deep at guard. He just wasn't ready and no one can argue he should have taken minutes over CJ, Graves, Jordan, Crathuthers, Harris. I don't see it. 

Edited by UBminicre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

I dont buy it. Again, I know this is speculation but Rondo seemed very happy on this team and will clearly play a big role this coming year (based on the minutes he was getting before the NCAA tourney). I would assume the coaching staff made it clear that he didn't get any minutes in the 2 games because we were deep at guard. He just wasn't ready and no one can argue he should have taken minutes over CJ, Graves, Jordan, Crathuthers, Harris. I don't see it. 

He should’ve taken minutes when Caruthers had 4 fouls, when Davonta and Caruthers needed a quick break. But instead he got zero playing time, even if he got 5 minutes it would’ve really helped him to see what p5 competition is like for future tournament appearances. But instead he got put in with Brock and Fagan in the last 30 seconds of two blowout games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

What do you mean by this?

I mean a few things...

Segu is listed at 6’0 160. That’s a listed height/weight. It would shock me if he actually was that. If he were to transfer, a program might view this a con and not take him on. 

His play on the floor left a lot to be desired. I’m from the camp that his better days are ahead of him once he fills out physically and develops on the court. But if he were to transfer teams will say he was a big defensive liability, couldn’t hold his own against taller guards, has no outside shot, got pushed around when driving to the rim often. To me more flaws in his game were uncovered that if he were to transfer his options would be limited. 

So a program out there has to consider would it be smart to take on a would be sophomore with flaws or give that scholarship to a high schooler with more upside. 

And I know what you might be thinking...there’s ton of programs out there, he could def help this school or that school. But ask yourself this...usually when players transfer they want to go to higher profile schools. So if he wants to go to a P5 it ain’t gonna happen. If he wants minutes sure he can go to BS State Univeristy out of the no one cares conference. 

So if Segu just wants minutes sure he can go get them from a lesser school than us but a better school than us could be out of the picture based on his performance and height deficiencies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were rotating 8 players in a due or die game. There were no minutes left even with the foul trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

We were rotating 8 players in a due or die game. There were no minutes left even with the foul trouble. 

So when we were up by 20 something against a struggling ASU team he didn’t deserve a single second of playing time? Nothing to get him more experience? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right - He didn't. He wasn't ready. I dont care how many points we are up or down by, this is not a time to experiment. Williams would also have gotten 0 minutes except we had zero depth at the position. We actually needed his body in place of McCrae who was extremely bad, Perkins and Harris who we used as a PF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he transfers, he was the 9th man on a team that is graduating 5 Seniors. Next year he will probably up his MPG to around 15 mins and then will be in line for a starting spot when Jordan and Johnson leave a year from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Right - He didn't. He wasn't ready. I dont care how many points we are up or down by, this is not a time to experiment. Williams would also have gotten 0 minutes except we had zero depth at the position. We actually needed his body in place of McCrae who was extremely bad, Perkins and Harris who we used as a PF. 

I’m definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I’m definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one

That's fine - but i am glad you are not the coach. Not sure why you think any minute of an NCAA tourney game is one to allow an inferior player to be on the court except for the last minute of the game...

Edited by UBminicre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

That's fine - but i am glad you are not the coach. Not sure why you think any minute of an NCAA tourney game is one to allow an inferior player to be on the court except for the last minute of the game...

Perhaps due to the fact that Davonta and Caruthers, as good as they may be...get ready because this is going to be mind blowing to you....they also get tired. Segu doesn’t need to go out there for 15 minutes, he should go out there to let Jordan and Caruthers get a quick rest in so that they can continue their high level of play. Completely mind blowing concept, I know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TT Game: Caruthers played 18 minutes because he was in foul trouble. Jordan was arguably the best player on the court vs. TT and he got 35 minutes. Your point doesn't even hold up because Graves got 18 minutes, so if anyone would have got additional minutes it would have been him. However, he wasn't playing well so Nate clearly stuck with what he perceived would work, Jordan/CJ. Harris got 36 minutes and he was pretty bad but again we have no depth at his size. That plus Perkins actually getting tired due to his size and experience with minutes and Mcrae being bad overall, that is why Williams got 9 minutes. It's pretty obvious. 

ASU Game: Crauthers has a pretty good game and Graves had an amazing game and they each get 19 and 31 respectively. Jordan has a meh game and he is down to 31 minutes. Again it is clear that they have too much depth at G position. Crathuers would have gotten every last additional minute if needed for this game.

Further TT and ASU both only did 7/8 man rotations themselves.. essentially the same thing we did.

I think you need to learn more about what teams do in the playoffs. They shorten their bench and go with who they think is the best players on the court. They do not play around with freshman who is the 9th best player on your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

TT Game: Caruthers played 18 minutes because he was in foul trouble. Jordan was arguably the best player on the court vs. TT and he got 35 minutes. Your point doesn't even hold up because Graves got 18 minutes, so if anyone would have got additional minutes it would have been him. However, he wasn't playing well so Nate clearly stuck with what he perceived would work, Jordan/CJ. Harris got 36 minutes and he was pretty bad but again we have no depth at his size. That plus Perkins actually getting tired due to his size and experience with minutes and Mcrae being bad overall, that is why Williams got 9 minutes. It's pretty obvious. 

ASU Game: Crauthers has a pretty good game and Graves had an amazing game and they each get 19 and 31 respectively. Jordan has a meh game and he is down to 31 minutes. Again it is clear that they have too much depth at G position. Crathuers would have gotten every last additional minute if needed for this game.

Further TT and ASU both only did 7/8 man rotations themselves.. essentially the same thing we did.

I think you need to learn more about what teams do in the playoffs. They shorten their bench and go with who they think is the best players on the court. They do not play around with freshman who is the 9th best player on your team.

Wow I really got under your skin huh? Thank you for the essay, I’ll be sure to pay very close attention to anonymous internet criticism lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anyway back to the whole point of this topic, this is a definite possibility. Doesn’t mean I want it to happen, but there’s a chance it does 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confused as to why you are a tool. Now I see why you were fighting with people in the other thread. I guess you don't like talking about the facts, instead you like to contemplate and guess.

Sort of like how you are jumping to the conclusion that this is a "definite possibility" which btw, makes zero sense itself. Forget about the fact that you have 0 evidence and only speculation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I don't think he transfers, he was the 9th man on a team that is graduating 5 Seniors. Next year he will probably up his MPG to around 15 mins and then will be in line for a starting spot when Jordan and Johnson leave a year from now.

Right, but we have two grad transfers ready to take significant minutes. Plus, McRae didn't exactly register a ton of minutes.

Guard will be as competitive as last year, I'm not saying the top-end ability of CJ/Harris, but you are now adding Rojas, Grant, Cadwell, Johnson and Noah Williams to Graves and Jordan. 

Allen/Hawkins(most likey)/Fagan/Williams are already fighting for essentially 2 spots of minutes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

@961819 you really riled up some folks on a simple theory LOL

I guess having an imagination is frowned upon by some people hahahah

 

6 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Confused as to why you are a tool. Now I see why you were fighting with people in the other thread. I guess you don't like talking about the facts, instead you like to contemplate and guess.

Sort of like how you are jumping to the conclusion that this is a "definite possibility" which btw, makes zero sense itself. Forget about the fact that you have 0 evidence and only speculation.  

I’m going to suggest taking a seat and counting to 1000, maybe it’ll help you calm down. Relax man is speculation, you’re literally on a topic titled Transfer Speculation. Meaning I am going to, I don’t know, speculate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issue with speculation and am happy to entertain it. I clearly acknowledged that in my first response. I am just telling you why I disagree. Rather than explaining why I am wrong, you moved to personal attacks on the stats I put up and asked me why I was mad (when I am certainly not). Judging from your last spat (that I was not involved with), its obvious that this is your MO. Good to know. 

Btw, speculation is fine but saying "definite possibility" makes no sense. 

Anyhow, I will patiently wait for you to actually debunk my reasoning for why your rationale doesn't hold up. 

Sunday Games - How many players did the team play?

Duke - 7 players with one of them only getting 9 minutes

UCF - 8 players with one of them only getting 6 minutes

OK - 8 players with one of them only getting 2 minutes

Virginia - 8 players with one of them only getting 2 minutes

TENN - 9 players with 2 of them getting 3 and 5 minutes

Iowa - 9 players with 1 of them getting 4 minutes

Need I go on?? Or do you dislike when people give you reasons against your speculation?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...