Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Game week: NIU

NIU game notes are up, still an "or" between the QB's, but we know the game plan: JP, JP, Nunn catch, JP, Lefebvre catch, Marks, Marks, Nunn catch, JP TD

Great to see Jake Klenk and Jovany Ruiz get their chances, and Finegan back, of course.

https://ubbulls.com/documents/2020/10/30/gamenotes_niu_2020_.pdf

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly
Edit

7 hours ago, ChicagoBull said:

Athlon ranks Buffalo #1 in almost all defensive groups and Northern Illinois #9 or #10 in all offensive groups.  The spread seems rather low to me.  

It is up to 13/13.5 depending on the site but yes, I would've expected in the 17-18 range, similar to the Western over Akron line. NIU in a rebuilding year...we should hold them to 14-17 points.

58 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Overall I think we played alright.  JP looked strong as usual.  The game was a lot closer than the box score because we got lucky with a few defensive touchdowns.

NIU moved the ball well in the 2nd and 3rd quarters...yes, we were fortunate to get some scoop and scores but NIU also scored some garbage time td's late. I think the finla spread of 19 is about right.

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Not too sure if that game was definitive as to if we are really good or if NIU is really bad. But I am pretty certain we are getting a bowl bid, especially if we can get healthy and remain that way.

We were getting gashed by the passing attack. That and the stupid aggression penalties we need to fix.

3 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Not too sure if that game was definitive as to if we are really good or if NIU is really bad. But I am pretty certain we are getting a bowl bid, especially if we can get healthy and remain that way.

Agreed...tough to really judge the offense when having only 23 minutes of possession due to all of the defensive scores in the 2nd half then the backups getting in late. The outside zone running will still be incredibly effective against any opponent...KV looked solid other than the one interception that he just chucked up to Nunn. A few odd play calls in the middle of the game when the score was still close but I will chalk it up to being the season opener in an odd season.

Gabbert was injured in the game last night for Miami...Mayer played well in relief as they came back from down 21-10 but very nearly blew a 31-21 lead late and were fortunate to avoid OT. Mayer is a different type of QB than Gabbert so that may effect the game plan. Similar to Nunn, Sorensen is their main weapon at WR but Miami does not really have a dynamic RB.

I thought UB mostly dominated in the trenches...NIU hit on some nice passes down the middle when their QB had time  (inexperienced DB's?).  NIU ran 80 plays to our 51, mainly because of the Defensive TD's and having to keep giving the ball back to the NIU offense.

I know the offense wants to get Marks in the game, but that kind of threw the offense off for a couple series....(that and trying to mix in a few passes that failed or were dropped).

Overall, very happy with the W, some great defensive plays to put it away... I feel like they can improve a lot, especially on offense.  Vantrease is steady...if he can't give you the eye popping downfield passing game, he needs to be accurate with the short/medium stuff.  I think he's more than capable of that. 

I watched the entire game.

I think that when UB scored twice early, they took their foot off the gas a bit.

NIU played hard and who knows what would have happened if we didn't get 3 defensive scores.

I wasn't as impressed with UB as I thought I would be.  They weren't dominant.  Whether that was because of injury, because the team took the foot of the gas, etc., I don't know.  They will need to shore things up, especially in the secondary, moving forward.

By the way, McNutty (h/t to Wire fans) is automatic now.  He also needs to put the ball deep in the endzone every time on k/o.  I don't trust our k/o coverage.

The things we did at the end of the half...crazy, but expected by now.  I have said it before (for many years) and I will say it again:  I have no faith in Kotelnicki.  It is clear that UB has some superior athletes (relative to some of the competition), but that doesn't guarantee success.

Think about the Game 1's that a lot of P5 teams played....a lot of them did not shine.  It takes a while to get the rust off and the rhythm going against "live" competition.  On balance I thought UB looked very good; they come away with a road "W", and now get to stay home for a while and beat Miami. 

The seas did not part for the scoop and score(s), nor the pick six.  Guys had to be in the right place and make plays.

Great opening win for UB against a foe they have enjoyed limited success with, imo.

1 hour ago, verandaman said:

Think about the Game 1's that a lot of P5 teams played....a lot of them did not shine.  It takes a while to get the rust off and the rhythm going against "live" competition.  On balance I thought UB looked very good; they come away with a road "W", and now get to stay home for a while and beat Miami. 

The seas did not part for the scoop and score(s), nor the pick six.  Guys had to be in the right place and make plays.

Great opening win for UB against a foe they have enjoyed limited success with, imo.

Limited success, that is putting it mildly.  The last time they beat them LBJ was president (Johnson not James).