Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

On 1/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, UBinMD said:

Looks like our special teams coordinator has left for Memphis. Our ST improved significantly this year. Could be a big loss, especially with McNulty graduating.

Would be great to pick up a new ST coach who can tighten up the KO/P coverage.  Teams have been ripping off way too many yards every return.  Great to have #16 back for another record setting season!!!

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I just got a temporary twitter ban due to a tweet I sent, they said I was "targeting" an individual. I guess I got 15 yards and an ejection. The only thing I can think of is the algorithm saw the word "shot" and now I'm a crazy gun toting psycho.

image.png.86eea67ef9e7371c059b763bcc626da9.png

Probably Elon banning you because you were suggesting he needed a Covid "shot". 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, UB65Son said:

Talked to some players at the fair yesterday.  Really impressive young men. Respectful, well mannered, well spoken. Great job coach. Really rooting for these young men

That’s great to hear. There are some solid dudes on this team. Max Michel does a lot for the community and has a not for profit with Ruiz. Sidney Walker is doing something similar. McNulty has a lot of positives with his life. Great seeing these guys succeed as men and represent UB well off the field. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

This team is so bad, Mo deserves to be let go. I know it's not happening, but he deserves it. 

I can’t believe Mo blamed Snyder for lack of production and “yips” after the BG game. The offenses was disgustingly vanilla ever since. You put TOs behind you and move on. Today they are letting him sling it or he said fuck it, it’s my last game and I’m just going to throw it around. This is a complete dumpster fire. Will be good for this to be over and hood for the best in spring practice 

14 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

No surprise here, but TBN has confirmed via ADMA that Coach Mo will return in 2024.

I assumed that, and I'm not going to rip the guy too much.  I'm sure he knows what the problems are here.  But one thing is for sure, Mo cannot come back next season with an offense like this.  Snyder regressed, the QB rotation thing was a joke.  Mo needs to spend every second of his time and resources on finding a viable QB, or QBs and add some speed to the offense.  If he has to do that through the transfer portal so be it.  Whatever it takes.  We see QBs at the FCS level all over the place that are way better than what we have at UB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clodney said:

How are we paying $675k to Mo who had no head coaching experience, while lowly Jacksonville St manages to get Rich Rod for $500k? They’re 8-4 and going bowling in their first year in FBS and we’re losing to flippin’ Fordham. 

That is not his base salary.  His base salary is less than Rodriquez.  The figure includes bonus money related to going to and winning a bowl game last year.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1

So what really went wrong with the Mo hire?  What skill is he really missing that has lead to such a disappointing start.  With a search committee, you would think that their decision criteria would include more than 'recruiting expert".  That is the less important trait of a great Head Coach.

With little information, it is hard to tell, but his complete lack of leadership experience, journeyman / gypse training, internal issues with UB / SUNY leadership, his recruiting style / approach, etc.

Only someone with close ties (BrooklynBull) would know, but "Donors" cannot really be happy with the downward trend of the athletic department over the past 3-4 years.

If this was the stock market, UB Athletics would be a "Strong Sell".

Edited by Sportsfan

6 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

Only someone with close ties (BrooklynBull) would know, but "Donors" cannot really be happy with the downward trend of the athletic department over the past 3-4 years.

There are some things that I learn about afterwards in generalities, like the basketball coach search was not the chaos that it appeared to some here, that are not public.  The "leaks" were from outside of UB.  There was only one exception to this when I received a phone call saying that someone was leaving UB.  It may have been when Warde Manuel left for UConn, but I am not sure, if that was the one heads up I ever got.

I have no knowledge of the hiring process and what goes into the hiring of a coach.  I am sure that it is not much different at UB than at any other school.  As soon as there is an opening people will reach to the school or have their agents do it for them.  The school will reach out to people to see if they have interest.  Interviews are eventually set up, an agreement reached in principle and then an announcement.

If I was ever on search committee (I have never been asked), people would know I was on it because of a press release that would list my name.  That is all that I would ever say.  Even if there was not a non-disclosure agreement signed to be on a search committee, nothing would ever be earned from me about how the search went.

The only thing I "knew" about before it was made public was the selection of Mark Alnutt as Athletic Director.  I was able to learn from sources within UB, outside of Athletics, some information in general terms about the finalists.  With a little surfing the night before (more accurately in the early morning hours on the day of of the announcement) I was able to figure out who I believed the new AD would be.  What gave me the confidence to post it was that he had just been followed on Twitter by Nate Oats.

As a donor, winning is nice.  But to me what is more important are athletes leaving UB with a useful degree and being able to do something productive when their athletic career ends.  I have said this many times if I have a choice between 13-0 plus whatever happens after winning the MAC Championship and being known as a mill that does not care about athletes and just brings them in as rent-a-body to win or being 0-12 with a high APR and graduating athletes with useful degrees, I will take 0-12 every single year.

• Like 3

Seems most of today's college players see college academics in a bit different way then in bygone eras.  

They see if first as a training ground, pay for play, path to making money in sports.  Coaches see it the same way, as there is just toooo much money in college football to believe that they are attending school for their degree.

The NLI and Portal has eliminated the aspect of "student" in Student / Athlete (except for Olympics sport).

UB needs to decide their future in athletics, or the end result might be a rent-a-body school with a 0-12 record.  Like them or not you have to play the game by the rules of today, not yesterday.

Edited by Sportsfan