Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo #25 NET

squire17

Rothstein dropped us out of his rankings altogether. These pollsters are silly. I guess 15 point road wins are bad. It will be interesting to see where we land tomorrow. In theory, we should move up 2 spots, in front of ASU and Wisconsin, but with guys like this voting, I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Rothstein dropped us out of his rankings altogether. These pollsters are silly. I guess 15 point road wins are bad. It will be interesting to see where we land tomorrow. In theory, we should move up 2 spots, in front of ASU and Wisconsin, but with guys like this voting, I won't hold my breath.

I saw that too and thought that was an absolute abomination. The criteria that half of these pollsters use to come up with their rankings is a complete joke.

That being said, Rothstein is one of the more informed experts out there. I was surprised to see him drop a 12-1 Buffalo squad with wins over West Virginia, San Francisco and Syracuse due to a 15-point win over a local rival. The logic there is lacking.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

On 12/30/2018 at 4:36 PM, squire17 said:

After the victory yesterday the Bulls lost 2 spots in the NET rankings. Toledo moved up from 69th to 43rd mainly on the basis of their blowout win against Penn yesterday. Have to take this one game at a time because I don’t trust these rankings to help their case in March.

Watch out for Toledo! They are on fire and much better than people thought heading into this season.

The MAC is the deepest it's been in years. Toledo, Kent State and Ball State are all very good. Ohio, CMU and Akron have had decent moments in non-conference play and that doesn't include a few other teams that have talent.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

54 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

UB has to just keep winning and can only control what they can control. It is great that we are in the discussion for rankings. The majority of these pollsters are not objective about any teams that are not the major conference teams. If we had them in a room and quizzed them about teams they could not give us intelligent rational answers. Go Bulls!!!!

On 12/30/2018 at 4:36 PM, squire17 said:

After the victory yesterday the Bulls lost 2 spots in the NET rankings. Toledo moved up from 69th to 43rd mainly on the basis of their blowout win against Penn yesterday. Have to take this one game at a time because I don’t trust these rankings to help their case in March.

The same Penn that 0-12 Monmouth just beat...

I've never followed the polls or rankings much as I thought it was stupid for the most part even though it is exciting with UB being ranked. But I wouldnt put much stock in any of them because with so many rating systems now and using road wins when its convenient for them come selection Sunday they'll use whatever system they can to justify putting in the 8th place ACC team or whatever power conference school. The hipocrasy of telling us it's all about the student athlete and then 'screw' the small school student athlete all in the name of money makes me crazy.

• Like 1

Today the Bulls have moved from 23rd to 28th. St John’s, which lost at Seton Hall, knocked off Marquette at home. This will be interesting to monitor throughout the season. The Bulls are 5 - 1 on the road. Most of the Power 5 plus the Big East teams have played 2 or fewer road games. Now they will be playing a road game every week. But the teams that are behind UB in this silly NET will be rewarded handsomely for home upsets. If the Bulls have only one loss going into conference playoffs, I’ll predict that their NET rank will be around 40...a bubble team in the eyes of the powers-that-be.

All these rankings are designed either purposely or not to favor the power conferences. They are not designed to ever reward mid majors. Its maddening. Like in football how can Central Florida go undefeated 2 straight years and not even have a chance to be champions? Why even play if you have ZERO chance to even play for a championship even by winning every game??? And they have the balls to tell us it's all about the student athlete.  Shameful. 

• Like 1

The Big 12 was Pomroy’s top ranked conference at the start in early November. This is Texas Tech’s first road game. They beat Nebraska and lost to Duke at neutral sites. Other than that they’ve feasted on bottom feeders at home. Hope they lose big. They’ve got a good chance of having at least two starters fouling out half way through the second half.

43 minutes ago, squire17 said:

The Big 12 was Pomroy’s top ranked conference at the start in early November. This is Texas Tech’s first road game. They beat Nebraska and lost to Duke at neutral sites. Other than that they’ve feasted on bottom feeders at home. Hope they lose big. They’ve got a good chance of having at least two starters fouling out half way through the second half.

We need West Virginia to win this game against Texas Tech

On 1/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, pottier25 said:

All these rankings are designed either purposely or not to favor the power conferences. They are not designed to ever reward mid majors. Its maddening. Like in football how can Central Florida go undefeated 2 straight years and not even have a chance to be champions? Why even play if you have ZERO chance to even play for a championship even by winning every game??? And they have the balls to tell us it's all about the student athlete.  Shameful. 

Except in basketball we do control our fate to some degree and if we win the conference championships and the next 6 we will be the national champions.

18 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

Except in basketball we do control our fate to some degree and if we win the conference championships and the next 6 we will be the national champions.

Right but I was referring to the old company line that it's all about the student athlete that the NCAA keeps telling us. It's all about money and I hate the hipocrasy. And there are plenty of mids that get screwed every year for and 8-8 power conference school.