Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Central Michigan hame

Chet

There is absolutely no excitement or anticipation regarding today's game. I'm not surprised considering the team's inconsistencies so far this season. I suspect it doesn't help playing the last place team in the conference. Regardless, it's all so disappointing. Not much leadership to be found right now. This is a must win game. Go Bulls!! 

I think a big problem also has to do with these long breaks. I mean how many times have we had 5-7 days in between games this season. I think once we start playing games more consistently, things will pick up. 

I get it’s quiet, but what is there really to talk about over the last six days?

30 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

I think a big problem also has to do with these long breaks. I mean how many times have we had 5-7 days in between games this season. I think once we start playing games more consistently, things will pick up. 

I get it’s quiet, but what is there really to talk about over the last six days?

Agreed. These breaks are crazy, especially considering there still is one game with CMU that hasn't been rescheduled yet.

Considering all of the haters of the staff on here, what about Bona? They were ranked and now are .500 in league. Maybe Schmidt should be canned. He's making nearly 3x as much as our coach also.

Regardless, 8 days off, time to make a run like they did last year after being in a similar spot at this time of the season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Very eerily quiet especially with only Skogman being the only somewhat bright spot with Jack, Brewton very disappointing and no freshman helping. The women are the bright spot with promising freshmen Woolley and Wilson who is getting some playing time contributing now with the season ending injuries to McEvans and Adeyeye causing a very thin bench. Fair, Woolley and Hemphill are worth coming to see especially with home games on Monday and Wednesday. Are any students other than a handful going to show up?? Our family will be there to support the team!! Go Bulls!!!

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Agreed. These breaks are crazy, especially considering there still is one game with CMU that hasn't been rescheduled yet.

Considering all of the haters of the staff on here, what about Bona? They were ranked and now are .500 in league. Maybe Schmidt should be canned. He's making nearly 3x as much as our coach also.

Regardless, 8 days off, time to make a run like they did last year after being in a similar spot at this time of the season.

All the days off and I wonder what this coaching staff is working on?? More one on one ball with no ball movement?? Do agree a very frustrating season on so many fronts with our team not to mention Bona who with the entire starting five back and the forecasts for being the top team in conference under performing at every level. Also Alabama taking a nose dive in conference. Coaches can have the better players on paper but if they can’t get them to perform they are no better than the lower teams in any conference. Hope both our UB teams can get on runs the rest of the year. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

There is absolutely no excitement or anticipation regarding today's game. I'm not surprised considering the team's inconsistencies so far this season. I suspect it doesn't help playing the last place team in the conference. Regardless, it's all so disappointing. Not much leadership to be found right now. This is a must win game. Go Bulls!! 

CMU is 2nd to last in the MAC (ahead of WMU) according to Kenpom at 323 (UB is 124). And somehow they’ve managed to jump ahead of us at 4-3 in the MAC. This is a game on paper that UB should win by double digits, at this point I’ll take a win and start stacking them up like we need to.  That being said, it would be nice to see us hit 50% on FG’s and maybe even 40% from 3 so we don’t have to sweat through this one. Go Bulls!! 🤘

The women are tied at the half with lowly Cmu. They had a challenging time with them at home as well, before finally taking the W. Nice to see Gaba back on the bench (hasn't gotten in the game). Hopefully they can win this half and get ready to come back home for Monday's game in front of some students (maybe?).

22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The women are tied at the half with lowly Cmu. They had a challenging time with them at home as well, before finally taking the W. Nice to see Gaba back on the bench (hasn't gotten in the game). Hopefully they can win this half and get ready to come back home for Monday's game in front of some students (maybe?).

Fair is struggling again, there is obviously something off. She's been shooting low 30% the last several games. She jacks the most shots, but the success rate is not good. Hopefully she can get herself straightened out because there is no Plan B.

4 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Fair is struggling again, there is obviously something off. She's been shooting low 30% the last several games. She jacks the most shots, but the success rate is not good. Hopefully she can get herself straightened out because there is no Plan B.

I think Wooley and Hemphill are solid plan Bs. Wilson showing some force down low as well. This team is limited in numbers, but a high ceiling.

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I think Wooley and Hemphill are solid plan Bs. Wilson showing some force down low as well. This team is limited in numbers, but a high ceiling.

I meant as far as putting her on the bench for a bit, just don't have any bodies that would cause any better results likely.

34 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Nice 4th quarter by the women to pull out a 10 point win. A win on the road is always a good thing. Hopefully 2 for 2 in a couple of hours with the men!

Do agree. Any road win is a good win even though CMU is not even close to the teams they have had the last four plus years. Great to see nice ball shot distribution from other players other than Fair and Woolley. Hemphill and Camp with 13 shots each and Wilson with 10 shots means that teams will not be able to press and double team Fair and Woolley. Interesting stat that since Wilson has started playing some meaningful minutes we have out rebounded teams in the last two of three games and only lost the rebounding battle by four in the other game. Still a concern with a very thin bench and for the most part usually three to four of our starters have to play the entire 40 minutes. The players seem to realize not to get into foul trouble and I would think this would be an emphasis of the coaching staff. Do agree that Fair is still struggling with her outside shots but can still continue to drive to the basket with her speed and quickness. Woolley continues to be a revalation and shows and plays more like a veteran than a first year player.  Hope fans can show up on Monday to show their support to this very exciting team. Go Bulls!!

Getting back to the men's team, laying 11.5 on the road, even though it is CMU, seems like a lot.   Any road game against any team is going to be a challenge at this point.

Regardless of the outcome, I'd like to see Skogman and Jones have games today where you can see their development.

11 minutes ago, John said:

Do agree. Any road win is a good win even though CMU is not even close to the teams they have had the last four plus years. Great to see nice ball shot distribution from other players other than Fair and Woolley. Hemphill and Camp with 13 shots each and Wilson with 10 shots means that teams will not be able to press and double team Fair and Woolley. Interesting stat that since Wilson has started playing some meaningful minutes we have out rebounded teams in the last two of three games and only lost the rebounding battle by four in the other game. Still a concern with a very thin bench and for the most part usually three to four of our starters have to play the entire 40 minutes. The players seem to realize not to get into foul trouble and I would think this would be an emphasis of the coaching staff. Do agree that Fair is still struggling with her outside shots but can still continue to drive to the basket with her speed and quickness. Woolley continues to be a revalation and shows and plays more like a veteran than a first year player.  Hope fans can show up on Monday to show their support to this very exciting team. Go Bulls!!

I think Wooley's international experience and playing against much older opponents as a young player has helped provide that veteran presence. I think this first part of the year she was holding back a bit see what her role was and deferred to the older players like Fair and Hemphill. Once she got some chances to be more of an aggressive offensive player, she has been able to show what she is really all about.

6 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Getting back to the men's team, laying 11.5 on the road, even though it is CMU, seems like a lot.   Any road game against any team is going to be a challenge at this point.

Regardless of the outcome, I'd like to see Skogman and Jones have games today where you can see their development.

Jones seems to get more confident every game, still very raw but it’s promising to see him grow as a player 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I think Wooley's international experience and playing against much older opponents as a young player has helped provide that veteran presence. I think this first part of the year she was holding back a bit see what her role was and deferred to the older players like Fair and Hemphill. Once she got some chances to be more of an aggressive offensive player, she has been able to show what she is really all about.

Good point. Eight/nine games in we still had a decent bench with Young, McEvans, Adeyeye, Christie and Coach Jack rotating both Keita and Jordan. With Young leaving the team and the injury to McEvans and Christie looking lost on the court and then not showing any improvement from Keita and Jordan Coach Jack was almost forced to play Woolley and as she became more comfortable and confident really could be the turning point for us. It is hard to fathom where we would be if Woolley turned out to be just a good role player with very little experience. In the early games Woolley was just primarily a three point shooter but her game has become an all around game with drives to the basket and pull up jumpers together with her passing ability and also because of her size is a decent rebounder. It is a joy to watch basketball and see players give their all and become very good and even to become great players. Go Bulls!!!

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just gotta survive their hot start. It’s early. Mballa already with foul trouble. 

I think teams have figured out our tip-toe play along the baseline. We have had several in the last few games where the other team just stays in good position and lets our players step out of bounds.