Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

12 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Nate Oats ends the speculation by tweeting that he's staying at Alabama. Good for him!

No big shock there. He is better off where he is. Making a fortune and can be a legend if they get a championship while he's there. He's made Bama into a basketball school and not just football anymore. Especially with Saban gone, he's the big man on campus unless the new football coach can do what Saban did. 

34 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Nate Oats ends the speculation by tweeting that he's staying at Alabama. Good for him!

Wow. I get it, but it's going to be a challenge to get Bama consistently to the level that Cal had Kentucky. The resources, facilities, NBA connections, etc are just different.

Aside from Brandon Miller, Oats hasn't really sniffed the best talent in the country yet. Maybe this Final Four run will change that, but it's the next step needed to consistently challenge the blue bloods. Let's see if his recruiting cranks up now with his new contract and success.

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Wow. I get it, but it's going to be a challenge to get Bama consistently to the level that Cal had Kentucky. The resources, facilities, NBA connections, etc are just different.

Aside from Brandon Miller, Oats hasn't really sniffed the best talent in the country yet. Maybe this Final Four run will change that, but it's the next step needed to consistently challenge the blue bloods. Let's see if his recruiting cranks up now with his new contract and success.

Since NIL Oats has been much better than Kentucky every year. There comes a point of diminishing returns with money. Oats will be fine. 

11 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Since NIL Oats has been much better than Kentucky every year. There comes a point of diminishing returns with money. Oats will be fine. 

Is that a two year sample? Because Kentucky was significantly better than Bama in 2022. Kentucky's "struggles" have mostly resulted from Cal slowing down, some bad luck in the tournament, and CBB being full of 25 year olds since covid.

Combining everything that Kentucky has to offer WITH everything that Oats himself brings would have been frightening for the rest of the country. As a Duke fan, I'm happy he's staying at Alabama. It's still a football school and always will be - there's a good chance Oats enjoys that situation and the lack of pressure.

Edited by MuchMany

53 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Hurley is 51 years old. The farthest he’s been from Jersey City is where he is now. He’s not going anywhere. Oates just assured Bama that he’s staying put. Billy Donovan?

Billy Donavon has to be the top choice if they can't get Hurley but how long would they wait for Donavon? NBA season goes a bit longer and the bulls should be in the play in game 

Even after a final 4 run Oats faces the same problems most coaches do. Griffen played very well all tournament and wants to bounce. Perhaps someone got in his ear and said he can make more money elsewhere. Today’s state of the game folks.

22 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Even after a final 4 run Oats faces the same problems most coaches do. Griffen played very well all tournament and wants to bounce. Perhaps someone got in his ear and said he can make more money elsewhere. Today’s state of the game folks.

It really doesn't matter who you are or where you are. Players are going to leave even if it's a great situation for them on a really good team. Someone will offer something more. Just crazy, but I guess this is what it is.

51 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Another Alabama guy in the Portal, 6'10 Freshman Sam Walters. Even a Final 4 appearance doesn't guarantee consistency year-to-year. College basketball is a wacky world.

There’s definitely layers. Some tampering going on and/or Nate probably thinking it’s easier/cost efficient to bring in a new player than retain a rostered player. I can see agents/reps or other coaches telling a player, transfer and you’ll be a starter or roll player here.

I guess even the aura of Nate Oats, all the NIL money in the world and a Final 4 doesn't make a team immune from turnover. Nick Pringle has said "Peace Out". If this is the new world order, what hope do we have to find and develop any talent.

Just now, UBinMD said:

I'm on board! Does Yao have a college eligible son yet? 

Also, don't forget about McVeigh

image.jpeg.4b490068faf3847c58902f8814dc273a.jpeg

Lol @ McVeigh, how could I forget.

Crazy what Bama is seeing right now. My Dukies are experiencing the portal ever so slightly and people are freaking out. Maybe Jeremy Roach ends up in Oatsland.