Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

James Naismith Classic - UB vs Harvard (11/16 - 2:30pm ET)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic

It's a pretty big game. While our at-large chances are extremely remote, the game means more to just getting our feet back underneath us after last Friday. It will also build confidence in the fan base. I've heard from many locals who are already off the bandwagon after last week. It's disappointing and unjust to the current team. This would help put some positive back in that fan base. No matter what the fans say, the team could really use a well-played victory. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out. It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance the game draws. I'm going to guess it will be on the low end, both for UB fans and in general.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

It's a pretty big game. While our at-large chances are extremely remote, the game means more to just getting our feet back underneath us after last Friday. It will also build confidence in the fan base. I've heard from many locals who are already off the bandwagon after last week. It's disappointing and unjust to the current team. This would help put some positive back in that fan base. No matter what the fans say, the team could really use a well-played victory. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out. It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance the game draws. I'm going to guess it will be on the low end, both for UB fans and in general.

Agreed. I don’t even care about winning, I just wanna see some defense, play hard, and make the buckets you’re supposed to make. Buffalo could have beat Dartmouth but it Buffalo only beating themselves. They have the ability to be competitive. But, it’s up to the players to make the plays needed.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

This is why it was such a bad idea to raise season ticket prices which made a lot of people stop and reconsider who were ready to buy season tickets at the end of last year.  Should have been offering a discount to get people to jump into season tickets at the end of last season. 

Not surprising that people are flaking out.  Buffalo fans have never really bought in with UB.  The Bills and Sabres offer enough focus for most people.

Not to derail this thread more, but they raised my ticket prices 5%. When's the last time they raised them? Aside from keeping up with inflation, I don't see a buck a game increase as unreasonable especially when we're all clamoring for improved facilities, gameday experience, etc. Beer prices reminded unchanged I should note 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Not to derail this thread more, but they raised my ticket prices 5%. When's the last time they raised them? Aside from keeping up with inflation, I don't see a buck a game increase as unreasonable especially when we're all clamoring for improved facilities, gameday experience, etc. Beer prices reminded unchanged I should note 🍻

Selling unsold seats increases revenue while increasing engagement and the fan experience.

Every effort should have been to get new season ticket holders, including selling new season tickets at a reduced entry rate.

Raising the price reduces demand.  There were many people who looked into season tickets saw the rate, then were told that the new rate was higher and simply decided to hold off and would buy individual tickets as they wanted to attend games.  I doubt those people will attend many games now.

• Like 1

I bought two seasons even though I love far away. It's my way of making a donation while having tickets for games when I am in town.

Back to the main topic, I wasn't real happy with what I saw Monday. They still can't but a free throw. Shooting in general is poor. And they still look like playground ball at times with sloppy execution. 

I’m not gonna get into the economics of ticket pricing but if you’re telling me the local public is falling off the bandwagon after one loss and that they never really bought into UB and that the Bills and Sabres take enough of the focus then I say shame on the city of Buffalo. Are you kidding me! Can’t support these young men and women who are underdogs and often overlooked in the grand scheme of college basketball. Come on do better. 

I’m an alum from NYC  and I’ve always said the city of Buffalo is dying for a winner (don’t see the Bills and Sabres wining as often as UB last 5 years). UB’s been winning and still can’t get local support? That irks me. Rant over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not gonna get into the economics of ticket pricing but if you’re telling me the local public is falling off the bandwagon after one loss and that they never really bought into UB and that the Bills and Sabres take enough of the focus then I say shame on the city of Buffalo. Are you kidding me! Can’t support these young men and women who are underdogs and often overlooked in the grand scheme of college basketball. Come on do better. 

I’m an alum from NYC  and I’ve always said the city of Buffalo is dying for a winner (don’t see the Bills and Sabres wining as often as UB last 5 years). UB’s been winning and still can’t get local support? That irks me. Rant over.

They’re definitely going to have trouble selling tickets because the ticket office is holding out for season ticket holders behind the players bench. Second year in a row they are doing it and the only individuals you’re able to buy are nosebleeds and GA behind the net opposite student section.

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They’re definitely going to have trouble selling tickets because the ticket office is holding out for season ticket holders behind the players bench. Second year in a row they are doing it and the only individuals you’re able to buy are nosebleeds and GA behind the net opposite student section.

One of the things that bothers me is when teams get to bourgeois. Not saying UB is. But in general. Relating this to UB, for aesthetics and more of a home court we should have the student sections right behind the benches. I rather that than empty seats or fair weather fans. Visually it looks better too. Let the wine and cheese people sit on the opposite side where cameras don’t capture them. This might also help with student turnout too.

30 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One of the things that bothers me is when teams get to bourgeois. Not saying UB is. But in general. Relating this to UB, for aesthetics and more of a home court we should have the student sections right behind the benches. I rather that than empty seats or fair weather fans. Visually it looks better too. Let the wine and cheese people sit on the opposite side where cameras don’t capture them. This might also help with student turnout too.

While I agree with you in principle, I don’t think it makes sense for the university to give up their biggest money making seats to students for free. 

51 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

My family has five seats behind the bench, and we're more beer and pretzel people, thank you very much.

• Haha 1

If $175 deterred people from buying season tickets...I don’t know what to say. $6 a game, or around $10-$11 if you only go to men’s. Free parking. Two teams that has more success over the past 5 years than the majority of D1 programs.

How would the new potential STH know what the price was before the season anyway?

$300 bucks for 16 games, 4th row behind the bench, premium parking. It's by far the best sporting deal in town. I don't think that anyone who was interested in seasons was put off by the $15 increase from $285 (plus there were one or two fewer home games last year I believe).

And to the guy who said drink less beer...🤣🤣🤣🍻

15 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

People don’t consider being on of the best teams in the MAC are being successful.  

Its no different than when Nicaea was winning the MAC years ago.  

When people go to a sports event in person they have to be vested in the team or the game has to offer a great game day atmosphere.  

Only students and alums will really feel vested and empty seats because you’re holding out for people willing to pay more, or playing weak teams, or playing when students are away from campus kills the atmosphere.  

13 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

$300 bucks for 16 games, 4th row behind the bench, premium parking. It's by far the best sporting deal in town. I don't think that anyone who was interested in seasons was put off by the $15 increase from $285 (plus there were one or two fewer home games last year I believe).

And to the guy who said drink less beer...🤣🤣🤣🍻

Per seat.  

Who buys a single season ticket. And no one cares about tickets to watch Nazareth.  

People who make the leap to season tickets don’t do it because they are already planning to go to every game.  They do it because they expect to go to half the games and can get a good deal for season tickets and can offer the other tickets to friends when they can’t make it. 

Edited by dutchcountry7

46 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It seems to me ticket prices and winning isn’t a problem. And as long as students are on campus then getting butts in the seats shouldn’t be hard. To get 4K per game barring weather shouldn’t be hard. And 4K is under selling imo.

And yet home attendance for the three dates so far this year...

I know people are quick to say that UB isn't the problem and that the real problem is the people in Buffalo, the alumni, or the students who fail to show up.  But if they aren't showing up it means there is a problem.  You can't simply blame people for not turning over their money and showing up.  You need to provide a reason for them to show up and simply saying we are one of the best teams in the MAC won't do it.  

9 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

And yet home attendance for the three dates so far this year...

I know people are quick to say that UB isn't the problem and that the real problem is the people in Buffalo, the alumni, or the students who fail to show up.  But if they aren't showing up it means there is a problem.  You can't simply blame people for not turning over their money and showing up.  You need to provide a reason for them to show up and simply saying we are one of the best teams in the MAC won't do it.  

This is college athletics and we ain’t Duke. Winning the MAC and winnings games in the big dance is pretty much as good as it can get for us. At the least students should be out in full force. No excuse for that.

The students pretty much filled their baseline seats for the Friday, 11/8 game.  Only the band and about 25 others stood the entire time.  The others spent as much time watching their phones as they did watching the game.  I wasn't disappointed with the turnout that night.  Monday's low numbers were likely due to a number of factors, the weather being the biggest issue.  The roads were bad and the snow wasn't letting up.  I'm sure Saturday's performance was another factor for the low turnout, but not the main reason.  Once we get going, I think the fans will be there. 

Just thought of something, another reason may have been the experience from the end of last season when people purchased tickets to see this team that was playing so well.  There were a number of first timers at those games that came, bought a ticket, only to find themselves standing 5 and 6 people deep at the top of the GA seats.  To me, if it were my first time there, that would be a huge turn off.  There were some great games that some of the people standing could only see parts of the court.  In my opinion, too many tickets were sold to some of those games.  

42 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is college athletics and we ain’t Duke. Winning the MAC and winnings games in the big dance is pretty much as good as it can get for us. At the least students should be out in full force. No excuse for that.

Correct.

And either that is not enough to draw people in to watch the team (which we all seem to think is not accurate) or there are barriers that are keeping people away.  And those barriers would be things like pricing of tickets, a poor gameday experience, bad weather, poor parking, inconvenient tip-off times, etc.

Let's take a look...

When I look for tickets I only see 300 section available for single game tickets.  https://www1.ticketmaster.com/university-at-buffalo-bulls-mens-basketball-vs-william-and-mary-mens-basketball/event/00005749D3FB8249

So that would lead me to believe that there are 5,000 people that are already with tickets and going to be showing up to games since Alumni seats 6,800.  Tickets at $15.  Tickets don't seem to be too much and that will be a nice atmosphere for a game. 

We don't think $15 is a lot, but we are trying to introduce people to the experience.  We want people to make the bold move to decide to come to a game for the first time.  We want them to have a good time and feel that they got a great value.

But if you paid $15 and showed up to the game and the attendance was actually 2,000, like they have been, you'd find the atmosphere horrible and feel like you over paid to be far away.  You'd feel like you weren't valued as a spectator and it would feel like no one cared about the program.

If you're not going to have the unique game day atmosphere and energy, you might as well watch games on TV where it is more comfortable. 

We paid $450 for 2 mid court aisle seats this season. Works out to about $14 per seat per game. It’s a no brainer. No interest in the Sabres or Bills. The Bisons are another cheap form of entertainment, which we take advantage of. I’m confident that attendance at the men’s games will pick up against Canisius, Niagara, and the Bonnies. When the students return for second semester in late January/Early February it will really start to heat up.

2 hours ago, squire17 said:

We paid $450 for 2 mid court aisle seats this season. Works out to about $14 per seat per game. It’s a no brainer. No interest in the Sabres or Bills. The Bisons are another cheap form of entertainment, which we take advantage of. I’m confident that attendance at the men’s games will pick up against Canisius, Niagara, and the Bonnies. When the students return for second semester in late January/Early February it will really start to heat up.

Unfortunately there will be plenty of room for obnoxious Bonnie fans. 

• Like 1