Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Charleston Classic - Buffalo vs. Towson (11/22 @ 7:00PM)

Jeseph

37 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

I have been saying it for a few games now coach needs to unleash the press.  I understand his hesitancy this weekend to use it for extended periods as we have 3 games in 4 days.  He has been u players consistently.  I think it is time to unleash the press for periods at a time.  We have the personnel to create turnovers and easy buckets in the full court press.  The press won us that game last night.

That was a very deflating game last night.  After a hard fought loss to a tough UConn team I think we all thought we were headed in the right direction.  Last night we play a weaker Towson team and almost let it get away because of poor shot selection and dreadful shooting.  Johnson and Grant at this point do not deserve minutes.  Grant cannot defend, rebound or hit a shot.  He is a spot up shooter nothing more. Johnson, struggles to defend quicker guards and has some of the worst shot selection I have ever seen in a player.  I cannot believe the bad shots he takes and typically at the wrong time in the game.  Kudos to coach for benching him last night after a disaster of a 1 for 12 performance.  

I agree with most of the comments that clearly our best lineup is Jordan, Segu, Graves, Williams and Mballa.  Those 5 have been relatively consistent minus some silly plays by Williams, that foul last night at the end of the game being one of them.  I think this lineup is dynamic, they can get to the rim and they can also shot it,  Segu is going to be special.  You heard it here first, Segu will be the first player from UB to play in the NBA for a long time after his 4 years here at Buffalo.  He has the tools for the next level if he continues to develop.  He has the length needed to make an NBA roster as long as he continues to fill out.  He has an ability to create for himself or others that you cannot coach.  Mballa needs to be able to find a balance where he can play aggressively without fouling.  He will figure it out.  So far I have been impressed with him and his effort on both ends.  Graves hit some big shots last night.  That three in the corner when we were down with under 2 to go was huge, that's the type of shot a leader takes and makes.  Jordan needs to continue to attack off the dribble, look to get to the rim or drop off as he did with great success last night.  Williams is a work in progress.  He shows flashes of what he will become.  Williams has a bright future and we need to play him to allow him to develop.  He has limited his bad shots for the most part this year which is a good sign moving forward.  I have been impressed with his defense and his ability to defend quicker guards.  I love what I see from him on the offensive glass but would still like to see more from him on the defensive rebounding side.

Hardnett and Nickelberry to me are the wild cards of this team.  If they can continue to develop this team will continue to grow.  We need both of their abilities to rebound .  Both of them are far superior defenders than Johnson and Grant are.  As the season goes along I suspect these two will continue to take minutes from Grant and Johnson.  Grant and Johnson are one dimensional players that can only bring so much to this team.

Having Brock and Fagan out is really hurting this team in the interior.  We are putting a lot of pressure on MBalla and Hardnett.  Coach may need to consider not red shirting Skogman if Brock is out for an extended amount of time.  Dominic Johnson may be able to help for a few minutes per game once football season is over but that may not be for a while.   

I remain confident in this team.  I love the defensive effort and passion they are playing with. I am confident this coaching staff and the veterans on this team will figure it out and we will continue to improve as the season goes along.  This season is all about playing our best basketball for 3 days in Cleveland.  The entire season is about getting to that point.  Our record and such are not too important as long as we play well by seasons end.  I think this team will continue to work hard, gel as a unit and figure out their roles and responsibilities.  I look forward to Sunday and the rest of the season.  GO Bulls!

I’m glad to see someone else appreciate Williams. His effort is always there, especially going in for offensive rebounds. He’s going to put it together as he learns what works and what he can’t get away with. I’d like him to limit the 3 point attempts, and dish to the point a little more often on his drives to the net. But he’s close, very close. 

31 minutes ago, UB05 said:

I think people forget Hardnett is a freshman. They see Cincinnati and assume he should be a starter here. He’s shown some great flashes and will be a big contributor in time 

Agree with you. He missed all of last year also. Plus I think we may be playing him out of position out of necessity. I can’t put my finger on what I think his offensive game is but that’s mainly bc he’s raw. His future is bright. And his contributions the last two game have been an encouraging sign. 

38 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree with you. He missed all of last year also. Plus I think we may be playing him out of position out of necessity. I can’t put my finger on what I think his offensive game is but that’s mainly bc he’s raw. His future is bright. And his contributions the last two game have been an encouraging sign. 

He provides something a lot of mid majors wish they had and that’s a true 4 with length that should be played next to a true 5. That’s how we can establish ourselves as a top mid major once again 

6 hours ago, UB05 said:

I think people forget Hardnett is a freshman. They see Cincinnati and assume he should be a starter here. He’s shown some great flashes and will be a big contributor in time 

He’s already shown way more presence than segu or Williams did as freshman (granted Hardnett is a RS freshman). He will get better as time goes on.