Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

WBB / MBB Exhibition Doubleheader vs Daemen 10/30

DocCas86

The game notes don't contain starting 5 lineups for either team, just the rosters. So wait and see.

Daemen's starting lineup in their exhibition lose at The Palestra [74-41] were 5'9" 6'3" 6'4" 6'5 6' 5". They didn't shoot well at all. Always interesting with local kids like Summer's brother,  D1 transfers and Coach MacDonald's son via the Purple Eagles. Their women's team has Summer on the bench and Steve McDuffie's daughter, and they get to play at Michigan after us.

5 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

The game notes don't contain starting 5 lineups for either team, just the rosters. So wait and see.

Daemen's starting lineup in their exhibition lose at The Palestra [74-41] were 5'9" 6'3" 6'4" 6'5 6' 5". They didn't shoot well at all. Always interesting with local kids like Summer's brother,  D1 transfers and Coach MacDonald's son via the Purple Eagles. Their women's team has Summer on the bench and Steve McDuffie's daughter, and they get to play at Michigan after us.

Bartorvik projects the top five would all be newcomers, Chatman, Adams, Powell, Foster and Kanye Jones.  Others getting minutes include Curtis Jones, Hardnett and Mading.  Adding in Williamson, Smith, Blocker and Ceaser will produce what I hope is part of a strong bench.  

7 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Bartorvik projects the top five would all be newcomers, Chatman, Adams, Powell, Foster and Kanye Jones.  Others getting minutes include Curtis Jones, Hardnett and Mading.  Adding in Williamson, Smith, Blocker and Ceaser will produce what I hope is part of a strong bench.  

My guess is chatman, Adams, foster and Curtis Jones are the main starters with a toss up for that final spot depending on game plan/big/small ball 

if all goes well UB will be a very deep team this season 

Edited by Tee4three
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Daemen, and Gabby McDuffie, in particular, look impressive.

Definitely showed they are still a high-level D2 program. We kept our starters out there a lot but can't blame them for protecting the lead and working out as a fresh squad.

Winfield took some time to get going but an impressive game. Young did her thing and the front line of Johnson and Mashaire look pretty good, Depth will be an issue but glad we got to 60 points and improved in the 3rd and 4th Quarters.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, Tee4three said:

My guess is chatman, Adams, foster and Curtis Jones are the main starters with a toss up for that final spot depending on game plan/big/small ball 

if all goes well UB will be a very deep team this season 

Pretty close. Today it is Jo Smith, Adams, Powell, Foster, Curtis Jones. I think Chatman is still recovering from injury, or else he'd be starting.

A couple of keys this season will be player rotation and combination.  With so many new faces its honestly hard to tell who will start and what role players will have.  It is going to take a few months for this to sort itself out.  Another key will be perimeter shooting.  Can we make enough 3s.  Daemen made some 3s in the first half and had the lead late as a result of it.  Meanwhile I believe we had 1 made 3 in the first half.  If we aren't gonna make some 3s, we are going to have to defend the 3 line very well.

Backcourt looks deep, frontcourt looked fine but I’m concerned about them against higher level competition. In The Almanac Whitesell said they hope to have Chatman back by conference play but they might just redshirt him. Williamson looked small out there even against a D2 team and was the last scholarship player off the bench

First impressions, against a D2 team (albeit a good, well coached one) - so keep that it mind.

I don't want to say I have low expectations - just no preconceived ones.  This is essentially a completely new team.  It feels like the year after Hurley left, but even more so - so many new faces, you go in with no expectations and see how it goes.  They might be good!  It's going to take time to figure it all out, and the more games they play the better.  

The Bulls are playing the same style as in previous seasons.  What they need to figure out is: what is their starting 5, plus next couple guys off the bench; do we have a lock-down defender that we can match up against star guards (like Dontay was); do we have anyone on this team who is a dead-eye outside shooter (that was missing the past couple years); do we have any clutch player(s) you can count on when the game is on the line.  

Curtis Jones - he looks like the one guy who has a year of working knowledge of the plays and the system. He showed good composure inside today to hit some little floaters and jump shots.
Blocker - has a good quick first step past defenders.
Foster - he's a smooth, polished player, as he should be at this age. 
Jo Smith - the site says he's 6'9" but he looked taller.  He seemed a head taller than anyone on Daemen.  He's spindly but will be effective if he has good touch and positioning underneath.
Adams - showed glimpses of being the kind of guy who's physical on D and hard to the basket.  Willing to shoot from outside
Caesar - the dude is FAST.  Literally zoomed past everyone all the way down the court when he chose to.  That's an interesting quality to have in the lineup.
Powell - good and bad.  Hit some shots, finished some layups, and for a while was the guy they had bringing the ball up the court (I had assumed they'd have Curtis doing that).  But got called for traveling twice in the first half and had a giveaway on defense right under the basket.
Jack - that guy looks interesting.  Decent footwork already, works hard, really physical.  Not quite totally confident with the ball yet but he's a freshman. When he gets purposeful with his movement (think, Nick Perkins) going to the hoop, and develops that hook shot, he'll be good

One of the main problems last year (and probably the year before) was poor shooting percentage.  The coaches can draw up whatever play and get someone open, but that doesn't matter at all if they can't hit the shot.  Daemen made it a game in the first half because they were hitting 3's and UB wasn't.  Whatever they said at halftime corrected that (until the very end) because the Bulls roared out of the gate, shut down the outside shots, and made their trips count, opening up a lead that was never threatened again.

After today, considering we haven't seen Chatman yet (and who knows Hardnett's status, he was hurt a lot last year), I would say my starting five would be: Curtis Jones, Foster, Jo Smith, Adams, and I don't know, Blocker.  Caesar coming off the bench for Jones; Powell for Foster; Jack for Smith.  But as I said to start - very early first impressions, with a small sample size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching the replay. The team was really active on defensive end and ball movement was generally very good, with the exception of a few lapses.  That was encouraging to see.  Returning players Curtis Jones and Blocker looked good. Really liked initial glimpses of Foster, Powell, and Ceaser.  Adams struggled a little with his shot, but played solid 'd' and rebounded well.  I expect we will get more from him as season goes along.   Smith and Jack looked good against D2 - but hopefully Chatman and Hardnett are available soon to shore things inside.  Lastly, Kanye Jones and Mading provided some solid minutes.

I agree with what others have said, this team will have some ups / downs - especially against a very difficult OOC schedule.  But I can see a team that could give others fits come March.

Edited by DocCas86

It will take awhile.  The team needs time and games to melt and come together. There appears to be some real talent.  We saw some good play and they seem to have had fun.  I was wowed by Cease-. Is he fast!!! We will be tested with some tough non conference games.  I will be optimistic and hopeful for our coaches and players.  

I know they were in Alumni Arena. I recognized the uniforms. I always enjoy the voice of Paul Peck. That said it will take awhile to know the players and team.There is absolutely no connection to last year or prior teams.  The same can be said for the women's team.  I am cheering for them because I know they are UB.  My connection will grow over the season 

It will be interesting to see how Skogman does at Davidson and Mballa at Mississippi. 

Go Bulls 

Edited by markchicago