Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

St. Bonaventure vs. UB, Saturday @2:30

I thought I would get this going.  What we thought was going to be a rebuilding year has turned into a pleasant surprise. We lost our entire team from last year. 4 of the starting five transfered and the other starter is now in the G league.  We really got nothing from our bench so those players leaving didn't really hurt too much. The one person who didn't leave was our coach.

What he has done is remarkable. We hit the portal hard and came up with some quality transfers and found some very good freshmen who are contributing. This team has some experience, but they are still getting used to playing together. I really have no idea how the game is going to go Saturday. If Bona plays as they did against Notre Dame they will win. Play like they did against Canisus and they will lose. 

I was looking at your schedule and I still think you would be a great fit for the A10 if you would dump football.  How many of you are taking off for the Akron game tomorrow or going to Idaho if your football team wins?  Wouldn't you rather see teams like VCU, Dayton, and Loyola every year? Being in the A10 has been great for SBU. We have built up some great rivalries in our time there. {we also have the 3rd most wins on the last ten years in the conference}.

See you Saturday.  

33 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I thought I would get this going.  What we thought was going to be a rebuilding year has turned into a pleasant surprise. We lost our entire team from last year. 4 of the starting five transfered and the other starter is now in the G league.  We really got nothing from our bench so those players leaving didn't really hurt too much. The one person who didn't leave was our coach.

What he has done is remarkable. We hit the portal hard and came up with some quality transfers and found some very good freshmen who are contributing. This team has some experience, but they are still getting used to playing together. I really have no idea how the game is going to go Saturday. If Bona plays as they did against Notre Dame they will win. Play like they did against Canisus and they will lose. 

I was looking at your schedule and I still think you would be a great fit for the A10 if you would dump football.  How many of you are taking off for the Akron game tomorrow or going to Idaho if your football team wins?  Wouldn't you rather see teams like VCU, Dayton, and Loyola every year? Being in the A10 has been great for SBU. We have built up some great rivalries in our time there. {we also have the 3rd most wins on the last ten years in the conference}.

See you Saturday.  

Akron working.

Bowl game going, regardless of where it is.

55 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

We hit the portal hard and came up with some quality transfers

Just a pet peeve of mine- but did you personally hit the portal hard?  Besides a seat donation, chatting with a coach or two at a required event, or harassing an opposing amateur division 1 player busting his behind for everyone's enjoyment, what constitutes a fanboy on being "we"?  Or am I reading the musings of a 12 year old?

Schmidt is a terrific coach.  Best in the big 4 since Oats left.  Really outstanding program, rapid fans in the a great atmosphere Riley Center who travel well.  Some of their online fans are provincial and nauseating though.    

Would love this series to be a H&H each year.

I know Bona wouldn’t do it now with so many other scheduling commitments, but they should honesty dump the Canisius series and opt for Buffalo.

For the better part of the last decade, this game is a Q2 or sometimes Q1 for the visiting team. IMO, both programs could use more of those games on their OOC slate. Not to mention it’s usually the best drawing crowd pre-conference play.

Niagara and Canisius hover around a Q3/4 annually and there does not seem to be much interest in those series any more.

CC couldn’t sell out a weekend game against SBU a few weeks back.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:47 AM, Buffalobonnie said:

How many of you are taking off for the Akron game tomorrow or going to Idaho if your football team wins?

Went to the Akron game yesterday, went to Boise last time they played there. Both were a blast, but disappointing in a way.

UMass dropped football and is in the A-10, but it doesn’t seem to be working for them. They really only excel at hockey and marching band. 

I'm giving St. Bonaventure a slight edge in this one. Bonnies are good at slowing down the pace which could give UB some issues. SBU guards are hit or miss. Banks and Luc both have the ability to go off any given night but also have the potential to force shots and struggle from the field.

Their young forwards have some ability. Transfer Chad Venning has size and was strong against Notre Dame. Freshman Barry Evans was highly touted and Yann Farrell was a Top 150 recruit for them, choosing St. Bonaventure over a bunch of P5 programs.

Buffalo has a chance today but they'll need to take care of the ball and shoot well overall. Bonnies lost to Canisius, which is awful but have responded well since. I'll pick the Bonnies 67-63.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

58 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I'm giving St. Bonaventure a slight edge in this one. Bonnies are good at slowing down the pace which could give UB some issues. SBU guards are hit or miss. Banks and Luc both have the ability to go off any given night but also have the potential to force shots and struggle from the field.

Their young forwards have some ability. Transfer Chad Venning has size and was strong against Notre Dame. Freshman Barry Evans was highly touted and Yann Farrell was a Top 150 recruit for them, choosing St. Bonaventure over a bunch of P5 programs.

Buffalo has a chance today but they'll need to take care of the ball and shoot well overall. Bonnies lost to Canisius, which is awful but have responded well since. I'll pick the Bonnies 67-63.

The Bonnie's have responded to losing to the Griff's very well

The pace this game is played I think is key played at the Bonnie's pace isn't where UB will succeed. Would expect too see ub's players with speed to get a bit more playing time today to help with this 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Nice start for the Bulls with the early 10 Pt lead despite 0/7 from 3. Imagine if we could just shoot 30% from deep

The 3 point shot has ruin college basketball. The drives, mid range jumpers etc are good but not sexy I guess so everyone just wants to jack it up. I guess 30% is good in baseball so why not basketball. Good grief.

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

The 3 point shot has ruin college basketball. The drives, mid range jumpers etc are good but not sexy I guess so everyone just wants to jack it up. I guess 30% is good in baseball so why not basketball. Good grief.

So I guess Curtis Jones took exception to my post, so I apologize. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Agree, we aren’t a good 3-shooting team so shouldn’t be jacking them up at such a high rate. Upper 30’s as a team would be solid but even our best teams with Nate only shot around 33%. If we’re only going to shoot high 20’s then I’d like to see no more than 20 attempts per game. That being said, Mr. Jones is starting to light it up a bit so I won’t complain 😂