Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

St. Bonaventure vs. UB, Saturday @2:30

Really nice win, dominated from tip to tip. Curtis Jones becoming a star. Powell looked really solid in 2nd half. Isiah Adams had subpar game, but only 1 turnover so will take that as a win. Team has potential when they don’t turn the ball over a million times, that’s the thing they must control if gonna be competitive in mac. Looking forward to see how they perform against Tulane. 

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I’ll eat crow, I didn’t see that coming. Great win for UB. I’m really encouraged by the 1-2 scoring punch they’re developing with Jones/Powell.

It’s never easy controlling the tempo against St. Bonaventure and the Bulls controlled the pace from the very start.

I recommend the BBQ sauce with your crow. I hope this continues and the confidence grows. Getting 4 in double figures, 1.8 TO/A and the passing was outstanding. Looking for the open man and once SB focused on Jone Zid did his thing. Also, the FT shooting was the best in a while.

• Like 1

Happy to see the guys playing up to what their individual talents are, and taking care of things as a group over these past few games, especially the last 2 at home. Also happy for the coaching staff, who put together a team that does have some solid talent, after being depleted by graduation and a couple of transfers out. While this team won't be a top 25 team like a few years ago, this team is more than capable of competing in the MAC for a title. Will they win it? Maybe, maybe not. There's 12 teams in the league and their chances are better than many and likely comparable to the remainder. Let's hope they keep playing team basketball and staying within themselves. The record is now even and will likely move above .500 against a sub-par opponent on Tuesday, before hitting a gauntlet over the rest of the month before MAC play. Fun times recently, let's hope it continues!

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:06 PM, Buffalobonnie said:

Very nice win.  Improvement with turnovers, foul shooting and rebounding.  Jones and Powell emerging as lead scorers.  We attacked the basket.  The team appeared to have fun.  We do need  more  production from the bench We will be more than ok this year.  With football win yesterday, let`s enjoy the moment 

go Bulls 

Edited by markchicago
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Erie County said:

Nope it was a 1-1 they called 2 shots

That was funny. I saw them call 1 and 1.

Foster (?) took the first shot and nobody reacted. The ball ended on the court in the free throw lane. Foster bent down and flicked it to the ref on the end-line.

Ball out-of-bounds off UB. Ball goes to the Bonnies.

Took awhile but the refs got it right.

40 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

No way around it you guys kicked our butt. A true molly womping. No excuses or explanations. Enjoy your win. See you next year. 

Bonnies have some bright spots.  I like what I saw from Farrel today (minus the free throws).  Luc and Venning have bright futures too, for young players.  Venning was off his game this afternoon - certainly not complaining, but that'll probably be his worst game all season, which bodes well for the Bonnies.  Good luck in conference play; it'll be good experience for a young, up and coming team.

23 minutes ago, Erie County said:

That's weird, why did everyone on the court, including the shooter thing it was 2 shots? The official at first was giving the ball back to Foster to shoot, so i dont fully believe this. THEN they called it did and went to the monitor.

Officials were poor again

Agree, even the announcers were unsure about the situation after it played out, but they were saying it was a 1 and 1 before his first shot. Sure seems like the refs botched it, luckily it ended up having no bearing on the final outcome. Aside from Foster our FT shooting was spot on today. 

What a great win. These local rivalry games are always really fun. Bona was mostly bad, but a lot of that was due to the defensive effort by the Bulls. Bona couldn't hit free throws. 

Great defensive effort. Obviously a great game by Jones and Powell had a great 2nd half while perfect from the FT line. Curtis Jones reminds me of Jason Preston (former Ohio guard now playing with the Clippers). 

Powell is the wildcard for this team. He plays with a lot of emotion. I'm not certain if that helps or hurts him more. Some of his body language in the 1st half after getting subbed out was noticeable and not in a good way. He also appeared to be withdrawn during a timeout at about the same time. Conversely, the energy that Powell brought in the 2nd half was tremendous. I noticed him encouraging Jones to get his arms and hands spread out while the Bulls were in a zone in the 1st half. Immediately after that exchange Jones stole the ball and converted it for a layup. Powell was clutch down the stretch. Powell was 12-12 from the line. That was the stat of the game IMO.

Adams rebounded well and had a nice first half. I don't believe he scored in the 2nd half. Would be tremendous to get more consistency.

Bulls rebounded well too. The team's 3 point shooting outside of Jones was really poor again. That will have to improve if we don't want teams just packing it in on us. 

• Like 2

What do you think about Cesar not playing today?  Our starting PG, Foster has 25 turnovers and just 19 assists on the season. He has played goods at times, but Cesar's upside seems much higher. Cesar's speed is elite. I would anticipate some growing pains with Cesar, but it's non conference, so now would be the best time to see what we have.

Edited by Chet

For those of us that can enjoy the moment - enjoy the moment.  We just had two good days.  We did not play our best football and got a needed win to get to 6-6 and will play in a bowl game. We have to give credit to the players and coaches. Please count the # of new players this year.  Please count the # of players we lost to Kansas, Baylor and other schools.  We might be a bit better over the last few years if the Charlie Jones/Iowa and Purdue and AJ Osbone / Miami and few really good offensive linemen stayed at UB. This is the reality of mid majors and particularly for UB given our short history as a Division 1 team.  As for basketball, we have an  entirely new team. I think we did a pretty good job of getting in some good players.

I want us to win every game.  At the moment, I am grateful how far our football and basketball teams  have performed  over ten years.  Yes we have had disappointments and can question in game management for both football and basketball.  I bet we have the best combined football and basketball performance in the  MAC over the  last ten years 

I can accept critical comments about our teams. But there is no reason or room to categorically dump on our teams and coaches 

Enjoy the moment 

Go Bulls 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, markchicago said:

For those of us that can enjoy the moment - enjoy the moment.  We just had two good days.  We did not play our best football and got a needed win to get to 6-6 and will play in a bowl game. We have to give credit to the players and coaches. Please count the # of new players this year.  Please count the # of players we lost to Kansas, Baylor and other schools.  We might be a bit better over the last few years if the Charlie Jones/Iowa and Purdue and AJ Osbone / Miami and few really good offensive linemen stayed at UB. This is the reality of mid majors and particularly for UB given our short history as a Division 1 team.  As for basketball, we have an  entirely new team. I think we did a pretty good job of getting in some good players.

I want us to win every game.  At the moment, I am grateful how far our football and basketball teams  have performed  over ten years.  Yes we have had disappointments and can question in game management for both football and basketball.  I bet we have the best combined football and basketball performance in the  MAC over the  last ten years 

I can accept critical comments about our teams. But there is no reason or room to categorically dump on our teams and coaches 

Enjoy the moment 

Go Bulls 

Well said

6 hours ago, Chet said:

What do you think about Cesar not playing today?  Our starting PG, Foster has 25 turnovers and just 19 assists on the season. He has played goods at times, but Cesar's upside seems much higher. Cesar's speed is elite. I would anticipate some growing pains with Cesar, but it's non conference, so now would be the best time to see what we have.

I found this interesting as well. The rotation tonight was really short. Only 3 bench players played and only Hardnett got over 10 minutes. Wonder what the reason was? Not a good recipe going forward. Something to keep an eye on. Now is the time to work guys in and get valuable experience for February/March. Def happy we won, no doubt, just curious about the lack of a rotation.