Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

They should hire that guy named Whitesell. Oh wait. Jesus what a mess this has become. The site crashes and then I come back and read all this! WTF. How far the lure of UB has fallen. Just when you thought we would make a recommitment to basketball we are cheaping out? Pathetic. I thought we’d have some good news today but now I’m depressed.

Rinky dink AD. Rinky dink department. Rinky dink website. Rinky dink reporting. And people wonder why the casuals in Buffalo stick to Bills and Sabres. 

While Calhoun does not get me super excited winning at YSU as hard. From Jeff Goodman's poll a couple years ago on the best jobs in each league YSU was last in the Horizon League:
https://watchstadium.com/horizon-league-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-12-28-2018/

Where they win: “Honestly, I can’t really think of anything. The job is brutal.” – Horizon head coach

The knock: “Where do you start? It’s by far the toughest job in the league, and it’s not even close. They don’t have support, tradition or really much to sell, to be honest.” – Horizon assistant

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

While Calhoun does not get me super excited winning at YSU as hard. From Jeff Goodman's poll a couple years ago on the best jobs in each league YSU was last in the Horizon League:
https://watchstadium.com/horizon-league-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-12-28-2018/

Where they win: “Honestly, I can’t really think of anything. The job is brutal.” – Horizon head coach

The knock: “Where do you start? It’s by far the toughest job in the league, and it’s not even close. They don’t have support, tradition or really much to sell, to be honest.” – Horizon assistant

Well he seems to prefer it over a jump to UB so...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Jesus. Someone call the local chevy or ford dealership. Tell them to give some kids some pickups or something. 

I imagine our MAC rivals who loathed our reign and thought we were temporary are just pigs in shit at the moment. Probably lurking here. Sucks. 

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Two more franchises that don’t win. Sorry I’m frustrated and lashing out

No I'm with ya. But UB makes the Pegula operations look like the Yankees or Manchester City. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing a lot recently on here about what a prime job this was.  Either people don't want to work for Alnutt (it didn't seem to faze Linguist), or we need to re-think our perspective here.

I want someone like Linguist, who wants to be here and doesn't have to be convinced of it.  The MAC is the "cradle of coaches" over the years for a reason - a good place to get started at this level and show what you can do.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Jesus. Someone call the local chevy or ford dealership. Tell them to give some kids some pickups or something. 

Men's basketball was the only team last year that an NIL Collective and that was completely put together by Whitesell and his brother.

Going back to Alnutt, it is clear he is a football guy and he has pulled resources from men's basketball to use for Football.  Why would someone want to come here and realize they have zero support from administration.

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

I imagine our MAC rivals who loathed our reign and thought we were temporary are just pigs in shit at the moment. Probably lurking here. Sucks. 

No I'm with ya. But UB makes the Pegula operations look like the Yankees or Manchester City. 

It seems like such low hanging NIL. Put the kids in some cars. Give them some gas cards. Have them post it to social a few times. Call up the off campus apartments, tell them to give them housing for free. Hell the Jet Blue to JFK to BUF is another easy one. It also opens up NYC recruiting. Sign here you get unlimited flights home...

NIL doesn't need to be all cash.

1 minute ago, enrique14150 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing a lot recently on here about what a prime job this was.  Either people don't want to work for Alnutt (it didn't seem to faze Linguist), or we need to re-think our perspective here.

I want someone like Linguist, who wants to be here and doesn't have to be convinced of it.  The MAC is the "cradle of coaches" over the years for a reason - a good place to get started at this level and show what you can do.  

On some level I agree. Give me someone who will see these challenges and take them head on. But at the same time I think it’s become clear that we have fallen way behind in keeping up with how college bball has changed since the pandemic. From failing to be willing to pay money, to having no NIL money or infrastructure. We’ve fallen behind as a program. And these young coaches are like any young person right now, don’t want the challenge. They feel entitled to a level of stability before taking a job. 

20 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

lol cool cool

So when many of us said Whitesell was draining the program and MA was doing nothing behind these scenes...

Infrastructure can mean a lot of things. We were decent in facilities and budget/resources 4 years ago 

https://watchstadium.com/mac-college-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-01-10-2019/amp/

I don’t care about NIL I want that money going towards ripping up the track

7 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

It seems like such low hanging NIL. Put the kids in some cars. Give them some gas cards. Have them post it to social a few times. Call up the off campus apartments, tell them to give them housing for free. Hell the Jet Blue to JFK to BUF is another easy one. It also opens up NYC recruiting. Sign here you get unlimited flights home...

NIL doesn't need to be all cash.

Amen. Maybe the 12 large pizza or weekend rental of a BMW or impossible full court golf putt prizes were canaries in our coal mine. 

1 minute ago, rma said:

Infrastructure can mean a lot of things. We were decent in facilities and budget/resources 4 years ago 

https://watchstadium.com/mac-college-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-01-10-2019/amp/

I don’t care about NIL I want that money going towards ripping up the track

Sorry to break it to you though, this thinking is exactly why we are where we are. No NIL investment equals losing. Equals no interest from fans and donors. Equals irrelevance. Equals death. The landscape has rapidly changed over those 4 years. Rapidly. Hate to keep brining up the U, but a final four team all bc of NIL. It matters. Can’t ignore it. To ignore is to become what we have become. Left behind.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sorry to break it to you though, this thinking is exactly why we are where we are. No NIL investment equals losing. Equals no interest from fans and donors. Equals irrelevance. Equals death. The landscape has rapidly changed over those 4 years. Rapidly. Hate to keep brining up the U, but a final four team all bc of NIL. It matters. Can’t ignore it. To ignore is to become what we have become. Left behind.

And this department will just keep saying "but we need donors!" after spending 4 without putting an exciting team on the floor. "Hey, we just got turned down by 3 straight coaches... care to throw us a couple hundred grand?"

They do nothing to support the ask. No effort, no accountability, no hope for the future.

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Amen. Maybe the 12 large pizza or weekend rental of a BMW or impossible full court golf putt prizes were canaries in our coal mine. 

Weekend BMW rental is laughable. We should be giving one away.

12 large pizzas is a nice student give away.

NIL should be the we need that 4 star can we get the local dealership to lease him a M3 for free? 

Do you think we can get Segu here to run NIL?

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

NIL should be the we need that 4 star can we get the local dealership to lease him a M3 for free? 

UB got blasted a few years ago on sports center or college game day for the 12 pizza give away

Just now, everlast2504 said:

Not sure we could pull him or his coach away from the Albanian league at this point (he's in Greece I know).

7 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

And this department will just keep saying "but we need donors!" after spending 4 without putting an exciting team on the floor. "Hey, we just got turned down by 3 straight coaches... care to throw us a couple hundred grand?"

They do nothing to support the ask. No effort, no accountability, no hope for the future.

I know this isn't the best time for this, but the last four years the team was actually pretty exciting (featuring three years of Rondo Jeenathan, two of Graves, one of Davonta) and went 70-49. Underachieving, frustrating, unable to live up to the astronomical standards of Oats? For sure. But we're getting a bit revisionist. In that interview I posted recently, even Oats expressed serious doubt that they could maintain the standard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Do you think when the football team tries to sell a recruit on UB the recruit is going to be fine with the stadium that is worse than his high school’s in Texas because he’s getting a little extra money to pick UB?

These guys who are D2 coaches or assistants in D1 would rather sit where they are than step up a level, do the work and make something better of themselves?  Fine, pass.  This level is a challenge.  If they're not up for it, we'll find someone who is.

NIL - I'm not disputing what you all have had to say about the changing times in college athletics.  What I am curious about is what do the other programs like UB's have in terms of NIL resources going around?  Other MAC schools for instance.  I would have a problem if UB is falling behind them.  But if the rest are all in the same boat, I can understand.

I keep reminding myself, there isn't this huge pot of money to throw around here.  Especially post-covid, when all athletic departments are probably hurting for cash.  They're basically using a lot of the buyout money from Alabama for Oats for buying out Whitesell's remaining years, correct?