Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

20 minutes ago, Majortomxiii said:

Well if the MBB coach’s salary is tied to the WBB coach’s salary then it is official winning games plays no part in the decision making. If it comes out that that is true (and not frustrate fan talk) I am so done with the school and  athletic programs.

Why? It’s part of the deal UB Bulls as a UB Bulls fan it is a state school. Good or bad you accept it laugh and run away to watch private Western New York Little Three basketball Bonnies, Griffs and Purple Eagles. You don’t give up UB Bulls basketball you don’t expect much out of UB Bulls basketball and UB Bulls football long term like the Western New York Little Three basketball schools. Buffalo’s highest college basketball team is the Bonnies we can thank UB and New York State for that. That is why I always say at some point the Canisius Golden Griffins will pass UB Bulls again because there problems are fix able a new Griffs basketball arena for $70 million dollars. UB Bulls athletics many of the problems aren’t ever fixable because they are New York State total control of UB. New York State can’t control the Western New York Little Three basketball schools, St John’s Red Storm or Syracuse Orange as examples which is sad for UB there always going to be chasing those historically private basketball schools in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Maybe we need to find a donor to directly sponsor the HC position. Juwan Howard is the David and Meredith Kaplan Men's Basketball Head Coach at Michigan. I've seen plenty of similar titles.

Where is the Wolf Blitzer Men's Basketball Head Coach? How about the Nate Oats Head Coach, since Buffalo made him all that money. 

2 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Why? It’s part of the deal UB Bulls as a UB Bulls fan it is a state school. Good or bad you accept it laugh and run away to watch private Western New York Little Three basketball Bonnies, Griffs and Purple Eagles. You don’t give up UB Bulls basketball you don’t expect much out of UB Bulls basketball and UB Bulls football long term like the Western New York Little Three basketball schools. Buffalo’s highest college basketball team is the Bonnies we can thank UB and New York State for that. That is why I always say at some point the Canisius Golden Griffins will pass UB Bulls again because there problems are fix able a new Griffs basketball arena for $70 million dollars. UB Bulls athletics many of the problems aren’t ever fixable because they are New York State total control of UB. New York State can’t control the Western New York Little Three basketball schools, St John’s Red Storm or Syracuse Orange as examples which is sad for UB there always going to be chasing those historically private basketball schools in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Are you sure you aren't a UBFan ChatGPT bot?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UB Horns Up said:

That is why I always say at some point the Canisius Golden Griffins will pass UB Bulls again because there problems are fix able a new Griffs basketball arena for $70 million dollars.  

Yes, a school where buildings are flooding, falling down, and being demolished is surely going to build a new basketball arena. Or just cease to exist as an institution in 5-10 years. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-ii-3-27-23/

So apparently saddi Washington never even interviewed per the link above 

Also turned down twice maybe 3 times 

Unfortunately, agents and coaches will sometimes "leak" that they are interviewing for jobs that they aren't actually involved with as a way to try to make it seem like other programs are after them.  This can help to motivate a school to offer them.

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

These guys who are D2 coaches or assistants in D1 would rather sit where they are than step up a level, do the work and make something better of themselves?  Fine, pass.  This level is a challenge.  If they're not up for it, we'll find someone who is.

NIL - I'm not disputing what you all have had to say about the changing times in college athletics.  What I am curious about is what do the other programs like UB's have in terms of NIL resources going around?  Other MAC schools for instance.  I would have a problem if UB is falling behind them.  But if the rest are all in the same boat, I can understand.

I keep reminding myself, there isn't this huge pot of money to throw around here.  Especially post-covid, when all athletic departments are probably hurting for cash.  They're basically using a lot of the buyout money from Alabama for Oats for buying out Whitesell's remaining years, correct?

UB Bulls are behind St Bonaventure Bonnies NIL. It matters and if UB Bulls can’t offer Mark Schmidt money $1 million dollars plus than Jim Whitesell should never have been let go to begin with? What is the point spending $500,000 to fire Jim Whitesell than offering Becky Burke money? That is a dysfunctional UB, UB athletics and UB donors what a disgrace. Come up with the money or forget about it. Reggie Witherspoon will comeback for Becky Burke money UB would be helping two old friends Canisius AD Bill Maher save his job and Reggie Witherspoon to have a longer head coaching career. It would also give BSF a good laugh in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

20 minutes ago, clodney said:

Can Cohen be kicked out of Bills Mafia now for his betrayal? 

No we think Cohen is smart. Buffalo Bills Mafia fans are smarter than the fools making the decisions at UB athletics. Looks like all these years BSF wasn’t so wrong about the phony big time nonsense at UB athletics. Call “Mr Wonderful” Danny White for advice he surly knows Western New York New York Bulls Big Ten Conference right around the corner with a Division 3 coach. Buffalo State coach there is an idea he wouldn’t have to move so no moving expense for UB athletics? Reggie Witherspoon same thing? What about hiring from the ECC Kats basketball program assistant to the assistant to the “Water Boy Movie” “Bobby Boucher” hire him as the new UB Bulls coach won’t cost much success give him 16 years contract like Reggie Witherspoon. Maybe Cohen didn’t like the New York Bulls paragraph logo? I am just laughing today what a mess at UB land. I will always be a UB Bulls fan it is fun just comedy fun in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

31 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Yes, a school where buildings are flooding, falling down, and being demolished is surely going to build a new basketball arena. Or just cease to exist as an institution in 5-10 years. 

The way our country, the state is going and the banks UB could be bankrupt in 5 to 10 years keep that in mind. UB doesn’t exist without taxpayers money and students loans from the federal government so don’t talk crap like UB is Teflon nothing sticks to them financially because it does. If private institutions like Canisius College close the state schools are next remember that. The federal government can only print so much money and has to be backed or the dollar is worthless. The state can only tax so much and they are running out of vices of people online gambling, weed, magic mushrooms are on the list or about to be on the list after that the final frontier is state of Nevada prostitution what is next for New York State to tax to fund UB fantasy land after prostitution? Those in glass houses should throw stones UB goes like this country there running out of things to tax and spend you can only consume and buy so much in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Instead of telling everyone to ignore them, can we please just put a disclaimer on all of their posts that says, "NOTE: This poster has no affiliation with UB and received the highest of educations from Canisius College". That way anyone lurking won't think our fans are complete idiots.

3 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

It seems like such low hanging NIL. Put the kids in some cars. Give them some gas cards. Have them post it to social a few times. Call up the off campus apartments, tell them to give them housing for free. Hell the Jet Blue to JFK to BUF is another easy one. It also opens up NYC recruiting. Sign here you get unlimited flights home...

NIL doesn't need to be all cash.

Until they have no cash to pay the income taxes on the free flights.

Edited by BrooklynBull

1 hour ago, UBfan44 said:

A little while back I left these boards because the discourse had become so toxic with regards to the basketball program. It was extremely frustrating to see the team not supported because of negative feelings towards the coach. Personally I wasn’t sure whether Whitesell was the right guy or not but I was willing to give him the time to try. In retrospect many on this board were correct, but I don’t regret not jumping on the hate wagon. Flash forward to now, and here is my version of the timeline of events:

Oats leaves for Alabama, and UB receives a solid payout. Alnutt elects to retain and hire Whitesell after utilizing a search firm to find a coach. Whitesell came relatively cheap, and UB still had the Oats payout to use when needed. This was fine with me, as Whitesell promised and delivered on keeping the team together. We had Graves, Williams, Jordan, and Segu to keep it rolling. 

Whitesell generally underperformed over the next several seasons, but IMO the players he was bringing in and the direction the “core” of the team was moving warranted a wait and see approach. Instead, Alnutt inexplicably gave him an extension and this was the first big flaw in the process. Nothing was done to deserve an extension, and having a large buyout attached to it was absurd. Did he think Jim was going to jump ship for a bigger program despite not winning at UB? 

After the 4th season of Whitesell’s tenure and another disappointing result, mixed with a revolving door of players, no direction, and no indication that things would change, he was let go. It was time. It may have gone a year too long and it ended up not working, but I didn’t fault the idea of it all. Afterall they still had the Oats buyout money to throw at a new coach. Except the extension. Not only did UB have to pay for Whitesell’s buyout, but they did it a few weeks early to the sound of an extra 100k. What was Alnutt thinking? Did he miscalculate? Did he get to a point where he realized he was in a sunk cost fallacy? We might never know.

Now we’re at the point where the Oats money is likely gone, theres been no NIL cultivation, coaches are saying no left and right (despite the fact that search firms are supposed to weed those candidates out to avoid this exact embarrassment), donors are going to be turned off, and half the team is already in the transfer portal without anyone to steer the ship. IMO this is catastrophic for Alnutt, and unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat I don’t see how it’s anything other than a giant step back for the program. 

Unless there are massive factors that we don't know this is the door for ADMA. 

51 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Are you sure you aren't a UBFan ChatGPT bot?

What? I am Buffalo Super Fan that they couldn’t give my name back so I am UB Horns Up! No I tell it like it is from wisdom of living in Buffalo Western New York for 55 years and counting. I am proud Buffalo sports fan and Buffalonian that I am old and enjoyed Western New York life before the “Vampire” I mean Empire State New York State sucked the remaining tax money out of businesses in Western New York.

As former “Monday Night Football” sportscaster “Dandy” Don Meredith use to sing when a MNF game was over the party is over they say good things must come to an end. Buffalo is near the end relevancy thank you New York State for their terrible big project investments. The New Buffalo Bills Stadium $1.4 billion dollars and the Kennington Expressway tunnel for $1 billion dollars are two of the worst thought out projects I have seen in Buffalo we don’t have one Bass Pro projects we have two Bass Pro projects holy cow what a waste of money and the Bills stadium location is terrible nothing image wise changes but stuck on stupid. Buffalo fans that aren’t either brainwashed or just desperate to keep the Buffalo Bills happy know this we have no say just like UB athletics but don’t worry we will take the blame and jokes that you can count on in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I think Canisus is closer to St. Francis (NY) than UB

St Bonaventure Bonnies have NIL worry about UB athletics there embarrassing themselves with the pay being turned down by anyone any good coaching candidate. UB can’t sell player jerseys but tiny St Bonaventure can. Canisius is tomorrow’s St Bonaventure Bonnies. UB Bulls basketball is closer to Buffalo State basketball pay wise and NIL wise. They don’t have any too heavy of a lift for UB? Exactly in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

18 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

St Bonaventure Bonnies have NIL worry about UB athletics there embarrassing themselves with the pay being turned down by anyone any good coaching candidate. UB can’t sell player jerseys but tiny St Bonaventure can. Canisius is tomorrow’s St Bonaventure Bonnies. UB Bulls basketball is closer to Buffalo State basketball pay wise and NIL wise. They don’t have any too heavy of a lift for UB? Exactly in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It is very very well documented the Canisius is in deep finical trouble. 

Buff States entire athletic budget is 1/6th of UBs. Our Men's basketball team would be 50% of Buff States budget on all sports. They pay their coaches less then 100k a year.

Your statement is borderline insulting to UB.