Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Just now, rma said:

6+ years off the bat for a first time head coach is reallllly pushing it. Unless the buyout reflects a 5 year contract I wouldn’t make that deal either

6 years with big buyouts in years 2-4 is there an issue with that? Both parties get security. I’m not hung up on it. Realistically the coach isn’t gonna be here 6 years one way or another. So we are getting hung up on a number that we won’t see 

1 minute ago, rma said:

“Come with me and we’ll build this thing up and when I get a better job you’re coming too. And there’s better NIL wherever I’m going”

Not saying that this is said but I’m sure it’s been implied. Lance brought half his team to Kansas. He might not have said that when recruiting them but if you’re smart you can put 2 and 2 together. 

This is actually a fair point I hadn't thought of. Kim English is doing it right now moving from George Mason to Providence. It'll be hard for the first school that's strapped enough to do it to get a decent candidate to agree to it, but if the market moves that way it does make some sense on the school's end.

5 minutes ago, rma said:

if you’re smart you can put 2 and 2 together. 

And this is what NIL is. It’s blurred lines. Winks and nods. Yea the schools can’t be involved but really they lay the groundwork for athletes to go down the road in which at the end there’s an NIL deal. Take off the blinders people.

Hey guys,

We're back for another episode of Talkin' Big 4 Hoops tonight. John Snyder and myself will be joined by Kevin Massare around 6:30ish. We'll have a link to the live show below. You can also watch the replay of the entire episode after the fact.

We have some juicy news regarding the latest rumors surrounding the UB coaching search and give our opinions on where things currently stand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Hey guys,

We're back for another episode of Talkin' Big 4 Hoops tonight. John Snyder and myself will be joined by Kevin Massare around 6:30ish. We'll have a link to the live show below. You can also watch the replay of the entire episode after the fact.

We have some juicy news regarding the latest rumors surrounding the UB coaching search and give our opinions on where things currently stand.

Thanks, Mike! 

Tune into this one, its gonna be good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

6 years with big buyouts in years 2-4 is there an issue with that? Both parties get security. I’m not hung up on it. Realistically the coach isn’t gonna be here 6 years one way or another. So we are getting hung up on a number that we won’t see 

True. We’ll probably never know the numbers so hard to get a full picture. I’m fine with auto extensions for performance (regular or tournament champ) but in just normal contract terms 6 years doesn’t seem like the going rate. If it was 6 years but east buyout for UB after 4 then shame on UB for not taking it, if it was 6 years with a whitesell buyout or worse, nah

32 minutes ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

Maybe it is time to think out of the box UB should look into a Woman's basketball coach that is young ambitious and self assured. It would get us into the national media could increase our ability to attract NIL.  If she wins she is on every ESPN show and moves up in no time.  Plus Woman only get paid 86 cents to a mans dollar

This ides was floated to do exactly the with FLJ, last year so we would not lose her. There might be to much risk for the upside. Right coach. The AD is a genius by completely changing the coaching landscape of a completely entrenched boys club. Or the AD is a complete moron worst decision made by a college AD ever. 

As someone with no "connections", just sitting back on the sidelines letting this play out, I have to say that the leaks here make UB look pretty amateurish.  I understand that contract negotiations are what they are, but as someone (I can't recall who) said just earlier today on here, the reason you pay for these executive search firms is so that you don't get the PR headache that this has turned into. 

Somewhere along the line here, someone appears to have made a gross miscalculation of the coaches UB should be targeting, as well as the financial commitment required.  I don't know if it's AD Alnutt, some deputy AD, the search firm, SUNY budget constraints, whatever - we'll never know.  But the way this has played out, with repeated leaks to the press about botched job offers, is a pretty bad look for the university's athletics administration, full stop.  UB's limitations are what they are, but I can't recall ever feeling an "amateur hour" vibe from Warde Manuel, Danny White,  or Allen Greene administrations.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

I forget who I was listening to but someone when talking about NIL mentioned schools should start hiring general managers of sorts to handle the NIL 

I'm a Duke fan and they hired a woman named Rachel Baker last summer to be their GM. She came over from Nike/EYBL. Different world than UB, but still. I'll be our volunteer GM? 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

They are looking for longer. 

UB or Cohen? 

14 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

As someone with no "connections", just sitting back on the sidelines letting this play out, I have to say that the leaks here make UB look pretty amateurish.  I understand that contract negotiations are what they are, but as someone (I can't recall who) said just earlier today on here, the reason you pay for these executive search firms is so that you don't get the PR headache that this has turned into. 

Somewhere along the line here, someone appears to have made a gross miscalculation of the coaches UB should be targeting, as well as the financial commitment required.  I don't know if it's AD Alnutt, some deputy AD, the search firm, SUNY budget constraints, whatever - we'll never know.  But the way this has played out, with repeated leaks to the press about botched job offers, is a pretty bad look for the university's athletics administration, full stop.  UB's limitations are what they are, but I can't recall ever feeling an "amateur hour" vibe from Warde Manuel, Danny White,  or Allen Greene administrations.  

Good post. 👏

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

This ides was floated to do exactly the with FLJ, last year so we would not lose her. There might be to much risk for the upside. Right coach. The AD is a genius by completely changing the coaching landscape of a completely entrenched boys club. Or the AD is a complete moron worst decision made by a college AD ever. 

12 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

So the AD looks like an idiot already.  If you are going down be bold, give yourself a chance of changing the coaching landscape completely.  Your ass is on the line now and you might be fired over this mess anyway.  There has to be a woman's coach that we can hire during Woman's history month that would work.  Let have UB ahead of a curve in sports for once. 

9 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sorry to break it to you though, this thinking is exactly why we are where we are. No NIL investment equals losing. Equals no interest from fans and donors. Equals irrelevance. Equals death. The landscape has rapidly changed over those 4 years. Rapidly. Hate to keep brining up the U, but a final four team all bc of NIL. It matters. Can’t ignore it. To ignore is to become what we have become. Left behind.

If that's the price of a ticket to relevancy, then you might as well go FCS and join the NEC. We don't have the school spirit or the donor base.

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Which one?

Hawaii. Richmond, or Liberty? Or Maybe Norfolk State, Saint Mary's or UC Riverside?

Would assume Norfolk State since he has NY ties. I wouldn't be enthusiastic about him but wouldn't hate the hire. He's at least been to the NCAA tournament which Calhoun can't say.