Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

13 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

I realize Clingan (7’2/265) on UCONN is a little bigger than Jack (6’11/250), but it would be awesome if Jack could become that kind of force on D blocking and altering shots. What a difference maker he was Monday night.

Actually looking at Clingan’s stat line from the championship game, it’s less impressive than it seemed watching the game….just 4 pts, 3 reb’s, 1 block in 10 minutes played.  Pretty decent #’s when projected to 40:00.  And just a freshman like Jack

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

With the right coaching, Jack could become a big problem in the MAC. Looking forward to seeing him develop. 

I was very impressed with Jack early in the season, especially his post play.  But he seemed to get himself in a lot of foul trouble especially in important games. Probably trying too hard. In the 5 games he fouled out, he averaged only 16 minutes.

As I've said before, I really didn't see many set players under Whitesell to try and get him the ball more inside.

I hope he stays and the coaches can work on him. He's still young and has a lot of potential.

Jack to the portal. I didn’t want to rain on the Jack love but it felt like he wasn’t going to be a fit if Halcovage runs his offense like Nova. They’re similar to McCollum’s offenses in that they value skill and shooting over size. Best of luck to him

• Like 3

One way to look at is, gut the whole thing and start new. Part of Whitesell’s problem was that he was trying to fit square pieces in round holes. The quicker Halcovage can bring in his style player the sooner we will be good. While this is another gut punch, it’s not completely unexpected.

Just now, Dabulls said:

It could be simply that Halcovage told Jack that he may not be a right fit, especially with the timing. @DooleyBull06 may be right, the quicker coach gets “his” types of guys here. The sooner we will be good

Absolutely. And this goes to the point @BasketBull made. Jack waited, sure they had a convo or two and it was a mutual split. Wish Jack the best. He could become a very useful player for some team. Will be interesting to see where he lands. 

8 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Would much rather have seen a post about a player leaving the portal to come back

Having to re work the entire roster is no easy task

In today's day and age it's definitely easier than having to overhaul your scheme to fit the players.

There are only a few players from last year's team that I envision having roles on a winning team next year, Curtis Jones, Isaiah Adams, and LaQuill Hardnett. Maybe Jo Smith as a backup big, but he has the same non-shooting issue as Jack (although he flashed a little bit of a mid range game). Those guys can fit with mostly anyone I think. They're not high usage guys who need the ball, they shoot and they also defend. Other than that I can take or leave most of the guys on the roster. Let Halcovage get his guys in

Edited by trueblue32

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Jack to the portal. I didn’t want to rain on the Jack love but it felt like he wasn’t going to be a fit if Halcovage runs his offense like Nova. They’re similar to McCollum’s offenses in that they value skill and shooting over size. Best of luck to him

As long as he does not end up in the MAC.

27 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A little surprised if he wouldn't have wanted Jack, Villanova has bigs, but maybe Jack didn't like the prospect of his contribution level under the new coach.

Every team has bigs. It doesn't matter if you're big if the offense is predicated around the bigs being able to shoot. Villanova's center is 6'8" and shoots 39.6% from 3. Since Halcovage started as an assistant in 2017 there was only one contributor who didn't make at least 10 3s on the season. By comparison UB has had 7 such contributors in the same time span

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2023&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_c=Y&school_id=villanova&games_type=A&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=15&c2stat=g&c2comp=gt&c2val=15&c3comp=gt&c4comp=gt&order_by=fg3

I expect everyone he brings in to be a capable to proficient 3 point shooter which will be a different approach than we have had in recent years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Every team has bigs. It doesn't matter if you're big if the offense is predicated around the bigs being able to shoot. Villanova's center is 6'8" and shoots 39.6% from 3. Since Halcovage started as an assistant in 2017 there was only one contributor who didn't make at least 10 3s on the season. By comparison UB has had 7 such contributors in the same time span

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2023&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_c=Y&school_id=villanova&games_type=A&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=15&c2stat=g&c2comp=gt&c2val=15&c3comp=gt&c4comp=gt&order_by=fg3

I expect everyone he brings in to be a capable to proficient 3 point shooter which will be a different approach than we have had in recent years.

Great analysis and breakdown.

Just now, Ubbullsfan09 said:

To be honest I think UB fans were overrating Isaac Jack a little. Not a huge loss, I think Jo Smith was a better big man anyways even if he isn’t as strong 

I think both players have different skill sets. Jack is more of a low post finesse player. Soft hands with low post moves. Smith is more of the low post banger. No real offense skill set other than doing dirty work around the rim. Better defender is Smith and probably more athletic. But Jack is younger with more growth potential. Again two different types of bigs.

35 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Hope he gets wear he wants. I guess we will see if BH can coach him better than JW

He played pretty well this year since he was finally relatively healthy, but if he goes to ASU Coach BH is king and JW is clearly a bum. Got ya. Wherever he goes, I'll be rooting for him (unless it's MAC, but doubt it would be).

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

He played pretty well this year since he was finally relatively healthy, but if he goes to ASU Coach BH is king and JW is clearly a bum. Got ya. Wherever he goes, I'll be rooting for him (unless it's MAC, but doubt it would be).

I think I’m just ready for a reset, I was hoping some of our guys would stick, but maybe it’s just better to leave it in the past and let the new coach bring in everything new and start fresh.

Also, if you have followed any of my posts, I would be the last one to call BH the king of anything.