Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

Halcovage thanked the current players for meeting him on Friday, and said he's looking forward to talking more with them "and some other guys who are already here" (paraphrasing), maybe he already has some unannounced recruits? Or maybe I'm reading too much into wording

Short and to the point. A little miffed that he didn't mention me by name but he did acknowledge that he probably forgot some names so that was likely about me.

Cool to hear him talk so much about bridging connections with former players and honoring that network/"brotherhood" of bulls. He did also call out True Blue 🤘🏻

• Like 3

Just now, trueblue32 said:

Keeping discussion of re-recruiting players in the portal in house, which is fair, but also reads to me like not everyone is going to be re-recruited lol (which is probably for the best)

Yep. I like it on both fronts. Shows the players that he has respect for them and their decisions but also agree that some of those conversations were polite mutual departures.

Random thoughts.

A little short. 

I would of liked him to say more on a new staff.

I think he said in the nicest way he could. He doesn't want those portal players back.

I liked it.  

Not reading between some lines but

I also hope Neptune has a very very very good run at Nova.

Edited by everlast2504
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

While I would have liked it, barring an official announcement I don't know that this would be the forum to name names.

True.

By liked I mean the entire staff was there he brought them up on stage and introduced them. I know i'm asking for a lot on this one. 

4 minutes ago, rma said:

I’d be inclined to believe Alnutt since it would be FOIA-able but he’s obviously biased

Yeah that was my thought as well, and it's hiding behind "extending offers" when it seems possible that people were removing themselves before it got to that point. It's hard to say what happened in between there but I got the feeling a chunk of the "candidates" were there for leverage at their current jobs and nothing else, the number/timing of leaks surrounding them was strange. Either way it's good to hear that we were not in as dire of straits as it seemed

3 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

the number/timing of leaks surrounding them was strange

Agreed. It seemed odd that we were supposedly offering 1-2 per day for a couple days. Nothing involved with the state of New York goes that fast. Maybe an informal offer, but pen to paper probably not. 

Liked what I heard from Halcovage. Short, sweet and to the point. Seems to have a ton of enthusiasm and a willingness to succeed. I’m intrigued to see the types of players he will bring in through the portal and the types of recruits he will go after. Seemed to hint that he’s already started his recruiting ventures. Also excited to see who he will bring in as assistants 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rma said:

Agreed. It seemed odd that we were supposedly offering 1-2 per day for a couple days. Nothing involved with the state of New York goes that fast. Maybe an informal offer, but pen to paper probably not. 

Informal being the key word. I believe him when he says we made one offer. But l also believe through back channels were we turned down. It’s obvious McCollum and the Youngstown St coach used us. 

9 minutes ago, rma said:

Yeah I agree, I wasn't sure if maybe there was a backlog of news that someone leaked. At this point it appears to me that those accounts probably do have sources (probably interviewees or agents), but the trade off is that it feels very editorialized to promote the source. Calhoun maybe being the most blatant, he was revealed as a random candidate, he interviewed, "turned it down" (because Youngstown St has better NIL?), then ends up with an extension all within a short timeframe.

There has been a lot of negative comments about the UB Basketball program lately (up until the new coach was hired), but I'd be interested in what people think are UB's (basketball) positives that could be used to sell this program to somebody (i.e. coach, player, or fan). 

Is it the Arena, history, fan base, True Blue? 

I haven't watch the Coaches New Conference yet, but he seems to have the energy to promote this program.

17 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

My take on guys turning the job down after alnutt speaking

1 legit actual offer was turned down

The rest were never actually offered but interviewed and either on the schools side or the coaches side didn't want to proceed further

I am sure you guys have interviewed candidates before, but I think we forget sometimes that

- Interview does not equal job offer
- Sometimes in the interview, it's apparent that the candidate is not a fit. Now as the interviewer, you do not go announce to everyone that person was not a fit. You just move on. In our case (Coach search), we have social media automatically jumping to conclusions that the candidate turned us down
- It's better to take your time and get it right.
- You don't interview based on order of priority. This is usually by everyone's schedule.

Things ended well. I hope our fans can also learn from this. There was no reason to declare that the sky was falling.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

There has been a lot of negative comments about the UB Basketball program lately (up until the new coach was hired), but I'd be interested in what people think are UB's (basketball) positives that could be used to sell this program to somebody (i.e. coach, player, or fan). 

Is it the Arena, history, fan base, True Blue?

While the last four years (3 tournaments, we were already eliminated but that doesn't have to be in the slideshow) have felt like a lifetime, in the grand scheme of things that's not a long time to be away from the NCAA tournament for a mid-major. We have a lot of recent success, we now have a recent NBA player and Halcovage has coached many more at Villanova, our other professional alums just won the TBT. I think winning and professional opportunities are the draw against mid-majors we recruit against. The arena is fine but I don't think it's a major value add. Show them the crowds from when our teams were good, and maybe that helps, last year's attendance certainly wouldn't lol

Edited by trueblue32