Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

I just watched the Bryan Hodgson presser at Arkansas State and I must admit he makes an impressive performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oVyXjRYW-g

And has added longtime UB assistant Jamie Quarles to his staff:

https://astateredwolves.com/news/2023/3/29/jamie-quarles-named-a-state-mens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

Was also wondering if Hodgson was responsible for recruiting Jeenathan Williams?

24 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

I just watched the Bryan Hodgson presser at Arkansas State and I must admit he makes an impressive performance:

https://astateredwolves.com/news/2023/3/29/jamie-quarles-named-a-state-mens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

Was also wondering if Hodgson was responsible for recruiting Jeenathan Williams?

I've met tons of impressive salesmen, wouldn't necessarily want them to build anything for me. Different skill sets. Maybe he will do well and my pessimism will be misplaced, time will tell. I am happy with our hire.

• Like 1

I don’t understand the hate towards Hodgson. I’ll forever be grateful for what he and Oats did here. What he’s done with the TBT roster. We got our guy. He wasn’t our guy. It is what it is. I hope he does well. And I really hope we play his squad. Could be real fun. 

34 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

Yes he recruited Jeenathan and it was great job.  But also remember, it was Coach Whitesell who developed Jeenathan during his freshman year.  While on Oats' staff, Jim was in charge of the scout team, which is usually the freshmen.  So Jim is a big part of the development of guys like CJ, Perk, Jeenathan, and Rondo.

This is the reason why I hope he can get another shot as an assistant somewhere, because he makes players better!

Curious how hodgson does, surprised his first two coaches are fairly inexperienced/young assistants as well

He had been tweeting about Williams in the NBA and even went to watch a game. Personally thought his tweets about Williams were funny/cringey but I realize he legitimately is just excited for jeenathan Williams 

I like it. He may not be what we’re used to, but he’s got a vision. He wants to build the brand and that’s what has to happen. We don’t get donors or NIL money until we build a brand. And if he has a clear plan to get there, I’m all in behind him. When I graduate I suppose I’ll jump in line for season tickets and donating.

6C1ECE99-4EF8-4E8A-A4A6-B1DF7D0D0AF9.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

I like it. He may not be what we’re used to, but he’s got a vision. He wants to build the brand and that’s what has to happen. We don’t get donors or NIL money until we build a brand. And if he has a clear plan to get there, I’m all in behind him. When I graduate I suppose I’ll jump in line for season tickets and donating.

6C1ECE99-4EF8-4E8A-A4A6-B1DF7D0D0AF9.jpeg

Love this quote. Essentially means we will play anyone anywhere. Let’s go! This is what we should’ve been doing instead of playing high school teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ub2019 said:

First assistant coach hire. Obviously a UB basketball alum, but was hoping for someone more inspiring than a Canisius assistant. 

I'm good with it, he has a good presence in the DC area and was a solid player at UB. Could have connections to teammates, etc to help Coach get that old and new Bulls back together. Could help recruiting that area with a visionary HC. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I don’t understand the hate towards Hodgson. I’ll forever be grateful for what he and Oats did here. What he’s done with the TBT roster. We got our guy. He wasn’t our guy. It is what it is. I hope he does well. And I really hope we play his squad. Could be real fun. 

For me personally, it's not hate. It's the offsetting of the thought he is the second coming of Nate Oats. I am skeptical of his skills beyond recruiting based upon what I have seen from him and interactions, etc. If I am wrong and Arkansas St becomes the Gonzaga of the mid-South, good for him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

First assistant coach hire. Obviously a UB basketball alum, but was hoping for someone more inspiring than a Canisius assistant. 

Oh boy does this bring me back to my days on campus. And for that reason alone I love it lol. Great to see Calvin back. Obviously it’s just one hire. Still two more to go right?

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

For me personally, it's not hate. It's the offsetting of the thought he is the second coming of Nate Oats. I am skeptical of his skills beyond recruiting based upon what I have seen from him and interactions, etc. If I am wrong and Arkansas St becomes the Gonzaga of the mid-South, good for him.

Understood. Guess time will tell. That’s always the gamble with hiring guys with no experience.

I think we all need to move past this Gonzaga of anywhere nonsense. Obviously it’s all recruiting sales pitches. Kids love hearing that stuff. And the minute a coach has success they themselves bounce to bigger jobs. Can’t fault anyone. 

Really hope we get to pay them though. I think someone posted it, that the MAC and Sun belt have a head to head agreement?

3 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

I know I haven’t posted here before, but trust me it’s a good hire. 

Elaborate? Generally curious

His teams are when I started watching UB basketball and even strangely played a part of me going to school at UB a few of years later 

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Understood. Guess time will tell. That’s always the gamble with hiring guys with no experience.

I think we all need to move past this Gonzaga of anywhere nonsense. Obviously it’s all recruiting sales pitches. Kids love hearing that stuff. And the minute a coach has success they themselves bounce to bigger jobs. Can’t fault anyone. 

Really hope we get to pay them though. I think someone posted it, that the MAC and Sun belt have a head to head agreement?

Regarding Gonzaga of the east: its why we can't move past it(not in a serious tone ast least) it's really fun and funny to say, it was non sense to start and is non sense now

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Elaborate? Generally curious

His teams are when I started watching UB basketball and even strangely played a part of me going to school at UB a few of years later 

I may have jumped the gun by assuming it’s a great hire, but I wouldn’t call it uninspiring. I know someone who knows Cage and he is a high energy, confident guy who is solid at recruiting and developing talent and is a good leader. Certainly better than anyone on Whitesell’s staff, and should be at least a decent assistant. There’s more to meet the eye than him coaching at Canisius, the person I know (who is involved in the basketball world) sees him doing well at UB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

That 90s old heads comment was kinda a massive hint. 

While Canisius might not be impressive. He helped coach several players going to big time programs while at Team Takeover. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/aau/circuit/1/Nike-EYBL-17U/team/50/Team-Takeover/players

Notables being 

Justin Moore for the 'Nova connection

Hunter Dickinson for the yes that Hunter Dickinson....

• Like 1