Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

TBT 2023 begins late July.

After one quarter, it looks like we'll be playing the UMass alums. They're up 24-7 on Virginia Dream, who I guess is a replacement for a team that dropped (and they are brutally bad). UMass doesn't look particularly good, mostly Virginia just looks bad. A couple energetic bigs who will make Perk work, might see Montell get some time.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

After one quarter, it looks like we'll be playing the UMass alums. They're up 24-7 on Virginia Dream, who I guess is a replacement for a team that dropped (and they are brutally bad). UMass doesn't look particularly good, mostly Virginia just looks bad. A couple energetic bigs who will make Perk work, might see Montell get some time.

Welp, first time for everything 😂😂😂

We're going to absolutely stomp Virginia Dream if our D shows up the littlest bit.

10 hours ago, BrazenBull said:

The team is soliciting donations to offset their expenses via the Venmo of Hodgson's 501(c)(3). Possibly a tad murky for  accounting purposes but I'll chip in a little. 

Screenshot_20230725_021025_Twitter.jpg

I keep entering that Venmo address and my app says no such account exists. I've had problems like this with Venmo before so I'm sure it's the app.

11 hours ago, BrazenBull said:

The team is soliciting donations to offset their expenses via the Venmo of Hodgson's 501(c)(3). Possibly a tad murky for  accounting purposes but I'll chip in a little. 

Screenshot_20230725_021025_Twitter.jpg

I get it. But these are professional athletes that won $1 million last year. To each their own, but asking for hand outs doesn’t seem to sit right with me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

I get it. But these are professional athletes that won $1 million last year. To each their own, but asking for hand outs doesn’t seem to sit right with me. 

I understand your point, but of the million dollar payout, they each got about $53k, after taxes $32k +/-. I’m willing to give them a few bucks for my entertainment and show my appreciation for their contributions to UB. Each fan can make their own decision.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I understand your point, but of the million dollar payout, they each got about $53k, after taxes $32k +/-. I’m willing to give them a few bucks for my entertainment and show my appreciation for their contributions to UB. Each fan can make their own decision.

100%. And I wasn’t hating at all. Which is why I said to each their own. But $32k for a few weeks of play ain’t bad as a short side gig. I know they’re not making millions, but likely much more than you and I. All good. Happy to support them in other ways and I bought tix for family to go. Hope they can keep it rolling!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

100%. And I wasn’t hating at all. Which is why I said to each their own. But $32k for a few weeks of play ain’t bad as a short side gig. I know they’re not making millions, but likely much more than you and I. All good. Happy to support them in other ways and I bought tix for family to go. Hope they can keep it rolling!

They run the risk of injury. $32K ain't nothing compared to what some of those players make in overseas leagues.

I donated as well. I'd be curious to know how much is actually needed to get through this whole tournament. Think about hotel nights, meals, transportation, gym time, jerseys. That overall cost has to be pretty high. They don't have New York's Public Powerhouse footing the bill...

And I think of it this way, if I can't be there in person and buy a ticket to attend, this is the next best thing I can do to help support them. It goes directly to them not the arena. Lastly, the value and quality of entertainment from this team is in my opinion is way worth the donation. They make a strong case to be one of the best Buffalo sports fan pro/amateur teams we have seen in years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Public funding and help from boosters goes a long way. If you love watching them in this tournament and you’re able to donate, then donate. Funding and boosters are what helps them appear in these tournaments.

23 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I thought I saw a video clip last year of one player getting 70-something thousand? Maybe it varies based on playing time?

1 minute ago, capencaper said:

I thought I saw a video clip last year of one player getting 70-something thousand? Maybe it varies based on playing time?

Players last season definitely got different amounts. Not sure how they broke it down last year, I know some teams it's how they get players to join the team kind of like contracts and some split it evenly

Wouldn't be surprised if they broke it down based on "blue collar points" 

Also it costs money to enter the tournament, so could be some players paid more of the tournament fee than others as well