Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Battle against the Ragin Cajuns 11/21/23 1:30pm

Tee4three

Back on the court early today...a good time to forget about whatever yesterday was and see if we can be competitive here from the outset.

There are 351 teams that NCAA ranks in various categories.  Our team is ranked 345 in FG% against.

On the other side of the ball (and, likely correlated with the former stat) is our assist:turnover ratio.  It stands at 0.71...which makes us 321 in the nation.  For comparison, the lowest is Coppin State at 0.39.   Iowa is at 3.11, which is #1 in the nation.

Our turnover margin on a per game basis sits at 346 in the nation.  We are providing 6.5 more turnovers per game than our opponent.

Our FG percentage sits at 236 in the nation...42.8%.

We are 330 in the nation in 3 pt FG percentage against (39%).  Who is #1?   The team we face today...at 13%.

I don't think the odds makers have effectively determined yet how to assess this team.  The line is about 10.   Not sure what we will see...but we need a much, much better effort on both the defensive end and in keeping care of the ball.  We can work on the offense in the future...but we need to focus on defense here.

This year has been brutal so far but Boldin has been such a bright spot. I think he and Sabol both look like they could be contributors on good teams in future years. Hopefully the pieces we find in this rebuilding year are still in a Buffalo uniform next year

Edited by trueblue32

I maintain my position that the team isn’t a lost cause. If you look at every game there’s always a period of 10 or so minutes where they score like 5 points and the other team runs away. If they can get rid of those lapses they’ll be ok, but I think we can attribute these lapses to not filling the roster. Every so often the guys aren’t clicking together and coach has nothing to turn to. Not a bad loss, hopefully they can figure it out

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

I maintain my position that the team isn’t a lost cause. If you look at every game there’s always a period of 10 or so minutes where they score like 5 points and the other team runs away. If they can get rid of those lapses they’ll be ok, but I think we can attribute these lapses to not filling the roster. Every so often the guys aren’t clicking together and coach has nothing to turn to. Not a bad loss, hopefully they can figure it out

Glad for this outcome even if not a win - the team showed some resilience after big loss last night and struggling in the first half of this game.  Boldin / Sabol provided some solid offensive stats.  If Adams, Chatman and Fulcher play more consistently they will have fewer nights like last night

I notice no Jones at all today - anyone hear any news on that front?

6 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Buffalo Bulls basketball is a lost cause this season. And if George Halcovage doesn’t get some NIL money from the UB alumni to go into the transfer portal to acquire some real basketball players with experience that can play next season will be a lost cause to. The choice is up to the UB alumni if they can raise NIL money for basketball if not the crap show will continue that is presently UB Bulls basketball it’s as simple as that in today’s Division I college sports. Other than Niagara Purple Eagles UB Bulls basketball is one of the worst in the Buffalo Big 4. Look at where UB basketball was 5 years ago and now it’s a mess. Jim Whitesell looks like John Wooden compared to George Halcovage. We are seeing why so many other programs passed on George Halcovage way over his head. We went from Bobby Hurley to Nate Oates to Jim Whitesell to this crap. I don’t want to hear ever again from UB alumni that UB Bulls are too good for the Buffalo Big 4. UB Bulls basketball is no better or worse than anyone else in the Buffalo Big 4 in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I notice no Jones at all today - anyone hear any news on that front?

Jay Wright was on the broadcast in the second half yesterday and referred to Halcovage having to deal with needing to sit 3 starters (Jones, Adams, Smith). I think the implication is that it was disciplinary (I assume not major since they all played in the first half). My guess is Jones sitting was related to that but I don’t think anything has been stated. He was dressed and on the bench today

18 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

My guess is Jones sitting was related to that but I don’t think anything has been stated. He was dressed and on the bench today

I don’t know if Jones not playing is such a huge loss at this point, other than the fact the Bulls could use him as much needed depth.

Didn’t get to watch today’s game but reading the comments on here it sounds like a much better viewing experience than last night which gives hope that they’re starting to figure some things out. As others have said, I’m encouraged by the stat lines that Boldin and Sabol have put up the past few games. I see Bodin played 38 minutes today, huge minutes for a freshman and honestly unexpected but he’s obviously earning it so far.

Another disappointing shooting performance by Adams, and only 1 FG and 2 pts in 30 minutes for Smith? Need more production out of those 2 if they’re going to be leaders on this (more likely than not) single-digit win team.

Edited by Bluebird96

40 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

I don’t know if Jones not playing is such a huge loss at this point, other than the fact the Bulls could use him as much needed depth.

Didn’t get to watch today’s game but reading the comments on here it sounds like a much better viewing experience than last night which gives hope that they’re starting to figure some things out. As others have said, I’m encouraged by the stat lines that Boldin and Sabol have put up the past few games. I see Bodin played 38 minutes today, huge minutes for a freshman and honestly unexpected but he’s obviously earning it so far.

Another disappointing shooting performance by Adams, and only 1 FG and 2 pts in 30 minutes for Smith? Need more production out of those 2 if they’re going to be leaders on this (more likely than not) single-digit win team.

Fans watching the game how was the bench and coaching staff as far as communication and energy?? A couple of concerns are Adams shooting 2-10 and 2-11 the last two games and Jones status. He had a decent first half against Roberts Wesalyn but did not play in the 2nd half. Played only 9 minutes against Hofstra and not at all against Louisiana. Even the earlier games that he played he appeared moody and not very happy. Not sure if anyone on the coaching staff can change his attitude with some positive energy. Was their better ball movement and some semblance of team ball on both ends?? 

3 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Buffalo Bulls basketball is a lost cause this season. And if George Halcovage doesn’t get some NIL money from the UB alumni to go into the transfer portal to acquire some real basketball players with experience that can play next season will be a lost cause to. The choice is up to the UB alumni if they can raise NIL money for basketball if not the crap show will continue that is presently UB Bulls basketball it’s as simple as that in today’s Division I college sports. Other than Niagara Purple Eagles UB Bulls basketball is one of the worst in the Buffalo Big 4. Look at where UB basketball was 5 years ago and now it’s a mess. Jim Whitesell looks like John Wooden compared to George Halcovage. We are seeing why so many other programs passed on George Halcovage way over his head. We went from Bobby Hurley to Nate Oates to Jim Whitesell to this crap. I don’t want to hear ever again from UB alumni that UB Bulls are too good for the Buffalo Big 4. UB Bulls basketball is no better or worse than anyone else in the Buffalo Big 4 in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This a a rough take, but not too many lies being told.