Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB MBB vs Iona 11/22 11am

DocCas86

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Are we to the point we're guys will just leave the team when they get back from Thanksgiving? 

I've been joking with my buddy who I share seasons with that he should go back, get his MBA and run point. He's 36 but was a pretty slick local HS PG. It's becoming less of a joke by the game. 

• Haha 1

I can deal with poor offensive performances they are all working in a new system. It’s the apparent lack of defense that gets me that’s effort and communication at its core pride.  Iona at this moment is shooting 68%!!! Hope there is another comeback in them to make this respectable at the end. 

2 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

Truthfully, I can't see how this isn't the worst team in the MAC this season.

It will be by far the worst team in the Mac, possible worst team in the country

*Barring the team all of a sudden developing insanely quick

Edited by Tee4three

5 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

I can deal with poor offensive performances they are all working in a new system. It’s the apparent lack of defense that gets me that’s effort and communication at its core pride.  Iona at this moment is shooting 68%!!! Hope there is another comeback in them to make this respectable at the end. 

This is what I don't get, I can handle the ok development and miss reads and other breakdowns that come with freshman and an entire new team

This team has zero structure. Zero. No offensive structure and no defensive structure. Looks like a bad intermural game at the triple gym 

We went from a team that had talent/athletes with no structure to a team that looks devoid of both 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

This is what I don't get, I can handle the ok development and miss reads and other breakdowns that come with freshman and an entire new team

This team has zero structure. Zero. No offensive structure and no defensive structure. Looks like a bad intermural game at the triple gym 

We went from a team that had talent/athletes with no structure to a team that looks devoid of both 

No lies here.

7 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Spot on. No D. Turnovers city. Just running around. No fire. Nothing. I've never seen d1 teams give up such easy baskets possession after possession.  A missed switch, not moving your feet happens, but literally not every possession.  These guys are wide open, both under the basket and outside. It's crazy. Is it possible to have the worst D and highest turnover % in D1 on the same team? This is absolutely trending towards it. I'm just shaking my head here as I watch this. It's like watching a very, very bad high school team that is coached by the social studies teacher in their last year of teaching versus the top team in the region. I said "over 3.5" Mac wins the other day. Boy was I wrong.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

It will be by far the worst team in the Mac, possible worst team in the country

I mean yeah, I think we're looking at computer metrics in the 340 range by the time the season is done.  They're already 320 on Kenpom and 300 on Torvik.  Worst in the MAC by quite a bit on Kenpom, and slightly ahead of only CMU on Torvik.  CMU already has 2 D-1 wins this year and appears to be trending slightly upward, so it won't be long.

5 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I mean yeah, I think we're looking at computer metrics in the 340 range by the time the season is done.  They're already 320 on Kenpom and 300 on Torvik.  Worst in the MAC by quite a bit on Kenpom, and slightly ahead of only CMU on Torvik.  CMU already has 2 D-1 wins this year and appears to be trending slightly upward, so it won't be long.

I have to be honest. I don't care about the metrics. Do the following, please:

Play defense, hard and as a team

Crash the boards

Stop turning the freaking ball over

Do those 3 and it will be a bearable and watchable experience.  Even if they shot 15% a game, I could at least watch that team and not be embarrassed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I have to be honest. I don't care about the metrics. Do the following, please:

Play defense, hard and as a team

Crash the boards

Stop turning the freaking ball over

Do those 3 and it will be a bearable and watchable experience.  Even if they shot 15% a game, I could at least watch that team and not be embarrassed. 

5 turnovers in the first 2:30 of the 2nd half. Seriously? That's grammar school stuff. I don't know how that can be explained.  They have countless turnovers in the backcourt today. That's inexcusable for a d1 team. Thank goodness I have to get back to work and I can stop watching this!

Happy Thanksgiving all.

8 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

I state my case again, that bad stretch but other than that it’s even

Two "bad" offensive stretches meaning scoreless periods of 4 and 5.5 minutes in the first 12 minutes of the game...I'm not comfortable calling a quarter of the game a "stretch," personally. 

And that's not even touching on defense.

Edited by MuchMany

We (UB Bulls) got rolled by Iona Gaels MAAC with no Rick Pitino who is at St. John’s. Congratulations UB Bulls basketball has fallen worse than Canisius Golden Griffins Reggie Witherspoon. I have see enough to know George Halcovage isn’t ever going to be the answer for UB basketball the Jim Ward of college basketball completely clueless. I think UB Bulls athletics needs to have sort of an intervention like when Reggie Witherspoon took over again North Carolina Tar Heels in season. I understand it was different issues with the NCAA rules violation. But my point UB and UB athletics can make such a move if they care. Make UB alum Turner Battle interim head coach on a trail basis until UB athletics can have another national coaching search in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Cage posted this on IG this morning. No idea what it's actually in regard to, but with the apparently undisclosed discipline of some of the guys on this trip, combined with the terrible play, something seems off to me. 

Screenshot_20231122_092628_Instagram.jpg

I noticed Adams was not in the box score today.  Obviously, I don't know what is at the crux of any disciplinary actions, but if it is a sincere attempt to guide players toward what is important, then I hope the coaching staff gets through to the players.  I think what we are seeing on the court, has an element of team mindset.  I know that Adams is capable of playing better than he has.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Cage posted this on IG this morning. No idea what it's actually in regard to, but with the apparently undisclosed discipline of some of the guys on this trip, combined with the terrible play, something seems off to me. 

Screenshot_20231122_092628_Instagram.jpg

Agree. Very strange message and without trying to figure what is going on I guess it is up to Cage and the rest of the coaching staff to try and get these players mindset and attitude to change for the better. Is this just a group of players who don’t mesh together with minimal talent like many of our past teams over the years. We will find out very soon.

3 hours ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

I really appreciate people’s optimism on this forum, but I really don’t think anyone can get realistic hopes up for even another win this season. You can’t magically fix major issues of turnovers, defense and depth. 

I disagree. I’m not coming at you but you can fix turnovers and defense over time. Generally speaking, it’s about teaching. For example, without getting into the weeds, what’s our ball screen defensive philosophy? Do we switch on screens? Do we swarm on D? It’s all about having a philosophy and implementing it. Yes you have to get guys to commit and buy in but it’s coaching. Coaching in practice and communication on the floor are vital. As for turnovers, not having a true PG hurts no doubt, but there have been times so far where I’ve seen Smith or Chatman dribbling on the perimeter, PG or not, that’s not really what you want. Today Boldin had 7 TOs, that screams at me a freshman trying too hard and forcing the issue. Again some of the stuff I’ve see on tape is coachable. It will just take time. 

We suck right now. Maybe we didn’t think it would be this bad but I guess you gotta bottom out before building back. Gonna be a long likely losing season but let’s see if over time we can improve. 

41 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I disagree. I’m not coming at you but you can fix turnovers and defense over time. Generally speaking, it’s about teaching. For example, without getting into the weeds, what’s our ball screen defensive philosophy? Do we switch on screens? Do we swarm on D? It’s all about having a philosophy and implementing it. Yes you have to get guys to commit and buy in but it’s coaching. Coaching in practice and communication on the floor are vital. As for turnovers, not having a true PG hurts no doubt, but there have been times so far where I’ve seen Smith or Chatman dribbling on the perimeter, PG or not, that’s not really what you want. Today Boldin had 7 TOs, that screams at me a freshman trying too hard and forcing the issue. Again some of the stuff I’ve see on tape is coachable. It will just take time. 

We suck right now. Maybe we didn’t think it would be this bad but I guess you gotta bottom out before building back. Gonna be a long likely losing season but let’s see if over time we can improve. 

Alnutt is the architect of the current athletic department.  Not good afer 5 years.  Not sure anyone can say he has done a good job since taking over.