Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Do you think Halcovage will win a MAC Championship at UB? If so, when do you see that occurring by?  Based on what I have seen, I am not optimistic, but as long as he is the coach I will be pulling for him and think he should have opportunity to succeed.  My goal I had in mind for a new coach was competing for MAC by 3rd year. 

I'm rooting for him too, as I want to see UB do well. I'm just saying that I realistically don't think he's the long term coach for UB based on what we've seen. I think that the days of "give a coach 3-4 years" are gone given the state of things nowadays. You can flip a roster with talent and experience in a matter of weeks. Longer contracts used to be needed to give confidence to high schoolers (and their families) that the coach that they commit to won't have the rug pulled out in their 4 years but it's clear that's not a major issue for kids any more with the portal.

I think it's a huge opportunity cost to let Halcovage pilot the beginning of our NIL era. If he continues to crash and burn, and I don't think going .500 for a couple seasons is enough to fix that, there aren't going to be many people looking to throw money at the mess that he made, especially if they had already been throwing money at the teams that get him fired. Where does that leave us then?

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Blueprint foundation getting rich?

Nice to see you back.

This was your comment about three weeks ago.

You’re awesome at PR. You know a lot more than you’re letting on. You should be a politician. Edit: I’ll get some info and respond

Have you gotten and more information?  We are still waiting for your response.

7 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Nice to see you back.

This was your comment about three weeks ago.

Have you gotten and more information?  We are still waiting for your response.

In due time 😀 Should I share with everyone? My understanding the president needs to approve any use of non-profit, correct?

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2024/blueprint-sports-nil-collective-nonprofit-1234761748/

One of Blueprint’s main selling points is “501(c)(3) fundraising.” Specifically, it has a companion charity, called the BPS Foundation, which allows Blueprint’s NIL collective clients to receive tax-deductible contributions.

In effect, the BPS Foundation serves as a donor-advised fund for college sports boosters who want to contribute to for-profit NIL collectives. Instead of making the contribution to the collective directly, they would instead donate to the nonprofit, which would then be responsible for paying athletes served by the collective.

In an interview with The New York Times last year, Sine claimed he could not speak about the BPS Foundation because it was being run by others. The paper, however, noted that Sine had been listed as the nonprofit’s “president” in documents filed with the Nevada Secretary of State.

“As we understand today, they are operating within the law, and kudos for them,” Belzer said in an interview. “That is a business decision they made, and if they are making a profit, that is great. But we don’t view that as a long-term sustainable business opportunity, and if we feel something is not ethically aligned with our long-term business strategy, we are not going to engage in that business today or tomorrow.”

Edited by TheCommish

28 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

In due time 😀 Should I share with everyone? My understanding the president needs to approve any use of non-profit, correct?

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2024/blueprint-sports-nil-collective-nonprofit-1234761748/

One of Blueprint’s main selling points is “501(c)(3) fundraising.” Specifically, it has a companion charity, called the BPS Foundation, which allows Blueprint’s NIL collective clients to receive tax-deductible contributions.

In effect, the BPS Foundation serves as a donor-advised fund for college sports boosters who want to contribute to for-profit NIL collectives. Instead of making the contribution to the collective directly, they would instead donate to the nonprofit, which would then be responsible for paying athletes served by the collective.

In an interview with The New York Times last year, Sine claimed he could not speak about the BPS Foundation because it was being run by others. The paper, however, noted that Sine had been listed as the nonprofit’s “president” in documents filed with the Nevada Secretary of State.

“As we understand today, they are operating within the law, and kudos for them,” Belzer said in an interview. “That is a business decision they made, and if they are making a profit, that is great. But we don’t view that as a long-term sustainable business opportunity, and if we feel something is not ethically aligned with our long-term business strategy, we are not going to engage in that business today or tomorrow.”

Here is the list I found for schools utilizing this group:

Penn St, Colorado, Arkansas, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, NC St, Maryland, Utah, Washington, Stanford, Boston College, Villanova, DePaul, Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, George Washington, Wichita St; Loyola-Chicago, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, Montana St, High Point

MAC Schools: Buffalo, Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo

Looks like pretty good company to me. 

9 hours ago, TheCommish said:

So have you made your donation yet or are you trying to find away to avoid making a donation to the collective?

You could also reach out and hire any athlete to perform services for you directly.  You could have them endorse your business directly.  Caitlin Clark was hired directly by State Farm.  Others were hired by Dunkin'.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

So have you made your donation yet or are you trying to find away to avoid making a donation to the collective?

You could also reach out and hire any athlete to perform services for you directly.  You could have them endorse your business directly.  Caitlin Clark was hired directly by State Farm.  Others were hired by Dunkin'.

The President approved the usage of SUNY money being spent on the non-profit, correct? By the way, today we should find out if the schools will pay NIL and not offshoot collective. I'll donate when you let us know who put up the money to fund the NIL startup and selected the individuals. You know way more than you're letting on with Nickel City Collective. You're not being transparent in my opinion. 

I have a huge request going on right now, I'm talking to high level people in Albany, the request will take time. I've called in favors.  

On 2/19/2024 at 11:59 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Money for NIL is for NIL.  Schools cannot pay NIL money.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, BrooklynBull said:

NIL "donations" are not donations.  They are payments for which an athlete is supposed to do something. If they do something for you are they could be your employee?  Do you have the proper insurance if they get hurt?  Donations to name things after yourself or another leaves a legacy for the future.  NIL is fleeting at best.

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

The President approved the usage of SUNY money being spent on the non-profit, correct? By the way, today we should find out if the schools will pay NIL and not offshoot collective. I'll donate when you let us know who put up the money to fund the NIL startup and selected the individuals. You know way more than you're letting on with Nickel City Collective. You're not being transparent in my opinion. 

I have a huge request going on right now, I'm talking to high level people in Albany, the request will take time. I've called in favors.

There cannot be SUNY funds to start the collective because as of this post the NCAA still prohibits direct school to athlete payments.  So why would the president have to approve SUNY funds for something that they cannot be used for?

As for who put up the money to start the collective ask the collective.  https://nickelcitynil.com/pages/faq-contact

How were the directors picked?  You found one on Linkedin.  Why do not you just ask her how she was selected?

As I have said before, I have nothing to do with the collective, other than donating to it, which is more than anyone can say you have done for the collective, to date.

You have your own business and want a UB athlete to represent the business: https://nickelcitynil.com/pages/corporate-sponsors.

You want to support athlete pick at team or every team: https://nickelcitynil.com/pages/fan-memberships

You want a tax deduction and have an athlete help out at a charity: https://bpsfoundation.net/donations/university-of-buffalo-student-athlete-community/

Every time you have your questions answered you come up with new ones.  It appears that you just do not want to contribute and keep finding excuses to not donate. So, please either donate or stop typing.

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

There cannot be SUNY funds to start the collective because as of this post the NCAA still prohibits direct school to athlete payments.  So why would the president have to approve SUNY funds for something that they cannot be used for?

SUNY school presidents need to approve any association with non-profits. 
again, you know the answers but won’t answer them. I got information coming and people from Albany asking questions. 

20 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

SUNY school presidents need to approve any association with non-profits. 
again, you know the answers but won’t answer them. I got information coming and people from Albany asking questions. 

Athletics already works with lots of non-profits with the athletes.  If you follow the teams online you would see the posts with the athletes in the community.  So apparently, the president has already approved the non-profits.

16 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Athletics already works with lots of non-profits with the athletes.  If you follow the teams online you would see the posts with the athletes in the community.  So apparently, the president has already approved the non-profits.

Yes, and needs to approve this one as well. I won't have the documents for 60 days, should have information from Albany soon.

5 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Yes, and needs to approve this one as well. I won't have the documents for 60 days, should have information from Albany soon.

I've gotten lost in the string, what exactly is your documentation and information from Albany proving? Are you of the opinion there should be no NIL? Are you implying the current NIL is in some way illegal? Are you implying there is some other issue with this specific NIL or NILs in general?

I am just trying to understand what the smoking gun is going to tell us when it arrives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I've gotten lost in the string, what exactly is your documentation and information from Albany proving? Are you of the opinion there should be no NIL? Are you implying the current NIL is in some way illegal? Are you implying there is some other issue with this specific NIL or NILs in general?

I am just trying to understand what the smoking gun is going to tell us when it arrives.

I want answers to the questions that Brooklyn refuses to answer. He knows the answers to all the questions but won’t answer them. 

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Sixty day to get documents from Albany.  Sounds like a Freedom of Information request.  I am still waiting for a response from about nine years ago.

Yes and no. I know I’ll have my information. I was promised it.

15 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I want answers to the questions that Brooklyn refuses to answer. He knows the answers to all the questions but won’t answer them. 

I have no idea what questions that I have not answered, when I know the answer.  If I do not know the answer to a question, I say so and tell you where to go to ask the questions to get the answers you want. 

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I have no idea what questions that I have not answered, when I know the answer.  If I do not know the answer to a question, I say so and tell you where to go to ask the questions to get the answers you want. 

All you responded was "ask them" but you know a lot more than you're letting on in my opinion.

Who picked these people to lead?
Who selected Blueprint?
Who makes the decision to let them go if they're not brining in the money?
Someone controls the board. Alnutt? Foundation? Athletics?
Who is funding the NIL Collective?
What percentage of the donations go towards a specific person? Blueprint is obviously making money.
"Since the corporation is not affiliated with UB I doubt it is controlled," if that is true, did the president sign off on approving UB athletics' affiliation with Nickel City Collective which is required
What is the time being spent on Nickel City Collective from athletics? Athletics already made an video, was this approved by the president?

9 hours ago, TheCommish said:

All you responded was "ask them" but you know a lot more than you're letting on in my opinion.

Who selected Blueprint?
What percentage of the donations go towards a specific person? Blueprint is obviously making money.
"Since the corporation is not affiliated with UB I doubt it is controlled," if that is true, did the president sign off on approving UB athletics' affiliation with Nickel City Collective which is required
What is the time being spent on Nickel City Collective from athletics? Athletics already made a video, was this approved by the president?

You used to raise your hand and tell the teacher she forgot to assign the homework, didn’t you?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Who selected Blueprint?
What is the time being spent on Nickel City Collective from athletics? Athletics already made an video, was this approved by the president?

Your opinion is wrong.  I have not asked anyone any of those questions.  I assume that all of the Is and Ts were properly dotted and crossed.

I will answer one of the questions that you have listed above and I have highlighted.  There was no need to ask anyone for the answer.  The collective is funded by people who support UB Athletics.  I am in that group of people.  You are not.

That raises the question, are you part of the solution or the problem? I will let others on here answer this question.

• Like 1