Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

On 11/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, xDerekRx said:

I would agree the stadium does not deter me from going. Granted I live and work within a stonesthrow from the stadium. However I always catch at least 1 game per year without a thought to how bad my seat will be. 

But yes a nicer newer facility would certainly appeal to some. Its just definitely not keeping 10k people away.

BrooklynBull I am not saying it keeps 10,000 people away. But UB Stadium is a problem. Buffalo football fans grew up with great site lines in Rich Stadium and the new Buffalo Bills stadium is getting MLS stadium stacked seating straight up like the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. Especially with today’s younger generation why leave home or the dorm room if the television viewing is better than UB Stadium? It’s a problem especially that outdated video board doesn’t help either. I would buy the largest video board for that end zone like Sahlen’s Field if I was UB athletics. That at least buys UB athletics some time until they can raise the money to remove the track and I would take out the bleacher seating for chair backs straight up as stacked and as high as possible to improve viewing at UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

Here is the plan, what we need....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-what-nil-price-is-a-projected-high-major-starter-in-the-transfer-looking-portal-looking-for/amp/

GH3: Buyout is probably $325,000 x 3 or 4 years = $975k

Somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 
Somewhere between $200,000 and $300,000    
Somewhere between $300,000 and $400,000    

In my estimation, factoring in the coaches' buyout and the recruitment of six to seven individuals, we're aiming for a budget of $1.4-1.6 million. Additionally, securing buy games will require an extra half a million, and allocating funds for charter flights during non-conference and select MAC games adds another million to the equation. I propose a shift in our focus from donations to the school and construction projects towards acquiring a coach and players. If we do things correctly, we can go after Hurley when and if he gets fired in 12 months. 

I am ready to spearhead this effort and arrange a meeting to launch the initiative. Does anyone have contacts with high-level donors? With the necessary financial support, we can effectively oversee the department through the NIL efforts. Upon achieving a consistently sold-out Alumni Arena, the resulting revenue can be directed towards the ongoing fundraising projects.

The weaponization on the NIL front is fully underway, let's start Horns United

Annual Fundraising Goals

1.2-1.4 million for players annual

1 million - one time to buy out GH3

1 million for buy games (UNC, etc) annually

1 million for charter flights

Edited by TheCommish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Only if Hurley brings another Oats with him.  Other than that, his antics were an embarrassment to UB.

I think if we have 1.4 million in NIL money, we can get almost anyone we want.

Edited by TheCommish

18 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Only if Hurley brings another Oats with him.  Other than that, his antics were an embarrassment to UB.

So you are good with the choirboy George Halcovage that looks and sounds the part but he can’t coach or win? Bobby Hurley knew what he was doing and is a competitor. I think that is another flaw with George Halcovage as a head coach no fire he seems to be ok with losing. No real desire for anything he is basically a statue who no way should be allowed to come back. It’s so bad if I was UB athletic director I would send George Halcovage home and coach the UB basketball team myself until the contract is paid off. That is what I would do because it is not fair to those UB basketball players and it certainly isn’t fair to the UB fans it’s a total disgrace. If Bobby Hurley was available I would hire him back. It’s so disgraceful I would call Jim Whitesell at the SUNY wherever he went. Trying to work it out with Jim Whitesell to comeback and ship George Halcovage to Jim Whitesell’s job if money is that tight for UB athletics in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

18 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I think if we have 1.4 million in NIL money, we can get almost anyone we want.

To improve UB basketball they need to fire the clueless head coach. Then come up with $1,500 to $2,000 a season for just your starting core of starters like the Bonnies do it. That will make UB Bulls basketball contenders in the MAC again. Again you don’t have to come up with much. The key is the head coach that is where UB athletics and the UB big donors screwed this thing up big time last season. George Halcovage is no Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt. You want that $1 million dollar salary plus that is where UB athletics and UB donors are unwilling to go. Too get anybody in the Mark Schmidt, Bobby Hurley level of coach that is the price. The sooner UB donors accept that and get that the better. But unfortunately I think another 20 loss plus season is going to happen before that sinks in for some UB donors I hope I am wrong in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

To improve UB basketball they need to fire the clueless head coach. Then come up with $1,500 to $2,000 a season for just your starting core of starters like the Bonnies do it. That will make UB Bulls basketball contenders in the MAC again. Again you don’t have to come up with much. The key is the head coach that is where UB athletics and the UB big donors screwed this thing up big time last season. George Halcovage is no Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt. You want that $1 million dollar salary plus that is where UB athletics and UB donors are unwilling to go. Too get anybody in the Mark Schmidt, Bobby Hurley level of coach that is the price. The sooner UB donors accept that and get that the better. But unfortunately I think another 20 loss plus season is going to happen before that sinks in for some UB donors I hope I am wrong in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I don't want the year that Bonnies is having, Bonnies won't be back to the tournament unless they win A-10. St. Bonaventure has a big problem IMO. They have a small donor base and those donors are needed to focus on keeping the schools doors open. UB does not have that problem.

4 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I've outlined the strategy. We aim to secure a successful coach for $500k, and if necessary, we can engage in fundraising for additional money. However, I suggest prioritizing funding for NIL, directing the funds towards charter flights, buy games, starters, and three reserves initially. We may not necessarily require the department, as we can theoretically determine the terms for the funds raised. In the first year, our target is $4.4 million, with the goal of reducing it to $3 million to maintain a steady flow.

Can we get 440 people to donate $10k each?

Edited by TheCommish

Dropping football to FCS and putting the savings towards the basketball program was the way to go, but that ship has sailed - Alnutt's going to be a doormat for the donors and their terrible ideas for the next 20 years

Pooling money to get rid of Halcovage and letting Alnutt keep his job would be ridiculous - so of course that's what will happen

11 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I've outlined the strategy. We aim to secure a successful coach for $500k, and if necessary, we can engage in fundraising for additional money. However, I suggest prioritizing funding for NIL, directing the funds towards charter flights, buy games, starters, and three reserves initially. We may not necessarily require the department, as we can theoretically determine the terms for the funds raised. In the first year, our target is $4.4 million, with the goal of reducing it to $3 million to maintain a steady flow.

Strategy is easy. Finding 40 people much less 440 to do that annually, oh yeah with no tax write off, would be insanely hard here. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:36 PM, TheCommish said:

Money for NIL is for NIL.  Travel and buy games are expenses for the school.  Schools cannot pay NIL money.

As to your question at the end the answer is, no.  I think that other for years when a donation has been made for a major infrastructure project has been made, athletics has not received $4,000,000.00+ in donations in total, let alone for basketball alone.