Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Ball State | 1/23/24 7pm | ESPN+

1 minute ago, eyjee said:

I'm gonna hold fast to the fact that I want to give GH3 a chance at a full recruiting schedule but I'd be lying if I said the bolded didn't worry me in a big way.

You’re more optimistic than me and I respect that but what freshman class do you think could have saved this season? Not to mention that plenty of quality transfers were on the board when he was hired and he also failed at re-recruiting the players already on campus. It’s literally never been easier to rebuild a team on a one year schedule

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

You’re more optimistic than me and I respect that but what freshman class do you think could have saved this season? Not to mention that plenty of quality transfers were on the board when he was hired and he also failed at re-recruiting the players already on campus. It’s literally never been easier to rebuild a team on a one year schedule

Outside of GH3 coming in and being a tactical genius with his basketball strategy I don't think anything was saving this season.

Except maybe finding a way to have hired Hodgson instead...

1 minute ago, squire17 said:

Chatman keeping it closer than it could have been.

My biggest takeaway every game is that I feel horrible that he’s wasting his final year of eligibility on this team. The coach he got recruited by got canned when he was out with injury and NCAA rules stranded him here

Well, UB managed to hit double digits in 3’s for just the 2nd time all season but only by chucking it up at a 30% success rate.

The most telling stat to me is being outscored 20-2 on points off turnovers despite committing only 1 more TO than Ball (13-12).  Don’t know if I’ve ever seen that kind of disparity with almost equal turnovers. 

8 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

George honestly looked like he was going to cry at the end there

You can't coach dude

I’m with him, when I was in school I was on the board of True Blue and I used to wake up at 6 AM on game days to put flyers in all the lecture halls. I’ve had seasons ever since I graduated. For the first time I’m undecided on if I’ll waste my time on attending the next game. He’s murdered the fan support, there’s no promise for the future, and he can’t even keep the home games against fellow MAC cellar dwellers interesting. I don’t know if anyone in the athletic department reads this but these are the fans Halcovage is finding a way to drive away

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

“Guys keep coming back, thinking we got to get better the next day.”

Rich given that he couldn’t find anyone willing to take the 13th scholarship and two other scholarship players have disappeared.

Shoutout to Lenzi though since she’s the only person left on a once full media row

Edited by trueblue32

I once was involved with a basketball team that started the year badly. They were, in fact winless. Not just winless…they were getting destroyed game after game. Late in the season, they faced the top team, which was undefeated. On game day there was a problem: No referees showed up. The coaches asked for a volunteer to ref the game. I said I would help. I had no experience, and had never even played for an organized basketball team since eighth grade. Somehow, the winless team (which my third grade son played for) traded baskets with the undefeated team. As the game progressed, the complaints grew louder. By the end of the game, there was almost a riot, and I gained some respect for those who executed a thankless task. My son’s team had knocked off Goliath. The underdogs went on to win at least one more game that year before the pizza party/awards banquet. I think the Bulls can win against Eastern Michigan, but I refuse to ref that game.

Edited by squire17

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Ball State was a 1.5 point favorite and they win by almost 30 on our court? This team is terrible but the head coach does not sound like he was ready for this gig at all. 

Last 2 home games were 1 basket spreads. UB has lost both of those games by nearly 50 total points. I'd love to know how often that's ever happened before. 

What a far cry from the days when people bitched about only winning by 8 at home because it hurt our net rank. 

What a far cry from leaving a game after the conclusion and saying I enjoyed my past 2 hours. 

I honestly think it will be worse next year, and this is the worst product here since pre-2000. Sadly, I still feel that this team has enough skilled players to actually win some games. They are not a 1 win roster. But the one in charge is.

• Like 3

I don't know what's left to say - this game reminded me of a lot of the other games this season.  And I was really encouraged by how they played at Toledo.  Of course I had to miss the opening run because for some reason, they had a problem scanning my ticket. As soon as I walked in, Ball State started hitting shots.  At halftime we were like, "this game was just tied a couple minutes ago, what happened?"  They got killed inside, which is what we figured would happen in MAC play.  They took half their shots from three, which I would usually think is a bad idea but for an undersized team, what else are you going to do.  What really bugged me was they STILL can't play defense.  I understand losing to Toledo on the road; I can't fathom losing by 28 at home to a nothing Ball State team.  But I have to.

Chatman - showed what he could do and carried the team as best he could scoring-wise.
Adams - has somehow regressed this year. Is he playing hurt? 
Smith - tries so hard underneath but can't be a big man at this level on his own.
Sabol - hit a couple early

...I'm trying here.

The team is trying (except for a couple times second half where they got beat too easily).  I don't know what they're doing to keep that effort up. I didn't think this year would be great but man, this is brutal.  Way worse than I could've ever imagined.  At least in the beginning with Reggie you had the hope of a core of freshmen, spearheaded by a top-100 recruit.  It's hard to see any light at the end of this tunnel right now.

If they can do anything to improve right now, ANYTHING, figure out how to play better defense, consistently.  That will at least get you in games.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Last 2 home games were 1 basket spreads. UB has lost both of those games by nearly 50 total points. I'd love to know how often that's ever happened before. 

What a far cry from the days when people bitched about only winning by 8 at home because it hurt our net rank. 

What a far cry from leaving a game after the conclusion and saying I enjoyed my past 2 hours. 

I honestly think it will be worse next year, and this is the worst product here since pre-2000. Sadly, I still feel that this team has enough skilled players to actually win some games. They are not a 1 win roster. But the one in charge is.

I hear you loud and clear re: how far we've fallen. I'm not even attending or watching anything anymore, it's way too bad. But I think it's neck and neck which is worse, the coaching or the roster. Of course the roster is the creation of the coaches, so maybe that hints at the root problem.

I just think we're totally absent quality guard play, which is an impossible predicament in modern CBB. A couple decent to good forwards doesn't really mean anything.

I actually like our recruiting more than I thought I would at this point, going after high upside length. But GH3 and Co. need to pull off some miraculous portal additions to keep this thing even minimum respectable.