Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

2 hours ago, pottier25 said:

So just as I was thinking the selection committee might actually give UB a fair shake this year because they earned it I read all these posts. I think UB could win out and still be a 7 or 8 so they have to play a 1 or 2 and possibly (likely) stopping a run. I believe it's so corrupt they actually do things like this to prevent a mid major run as best they can.

And a 6 seed would have to play a 3 seed. Best cast scenario is be a 5 seed and have to play a 4 seed like we did last year. No matter what the situation it’s going to be a rough path. I want us to get the highest seed possible but first of all we need to win the first round which everyone seems to forget. None of these teams are bad. IMO it doesn’t matter much really, we will be up against a giant. Let’s just hope we do what we know this team can do and take em down 

15 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The selection committee is always gonna favor major teams. Which is why as inconsistent as they are Indiana will get in.

I get what you're saying, but, Indiana is not getting in the tournament at 6-12 in the conference lol and being 11th in the Big Ten. Dick Vitale mentioned it during the Indiana game, that the committee is turning away from mediocrity. And would be surprised if Indiana makes it in. 

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I get what you're saying, but, Indiana is not getting in the tournament at 6-12 in the conference lol and being 11th in the Big Ten. Dick Vitale mentioned it during the Indiana game, that the committee is turning away from mediocrity. And would be surprised if Indiana makes it in. 

Dude I hope you’re right. I feel they don’t deserve it. Them and Texas don’t. But they both had top notch wins. We will see. But I agree with you and hope you are right. But they committee has done crazy things before.

i don't think it's crazy to discuss indiana as a bubble team.  they got some bad losses, but they beat michigan st 2x, wisconsin, marquette, and louisville.  they're 55 in net - can't use that as a uber metric for why we're an at large team, then dismiss it when talking p5 teams, right?

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

not exactly made up of a bunch of blue bloods, but many will roll with that narrative.  ;D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ed said:

i don't think it's crazy to discuss indiana as a bubble team.  they got some bad losses, but they beat michigan st 2x, wisconsin, marquette, and louisville.  they're 55 in net - can't use that as a uber metric for why we're an at large team, then dismiss it when talking p5 teams, right?

not exactly made up of a bunch of blue bloods, but many will roll with that narrative.  ;D

So if you are in a power 5 conference of one of the top rated conferences your team can have a 500 record or a little above a 500 record, a losing record in your conference and if you have 3-5 wins against the top teams you are going to make the tourney and a mid major that is say overall a 20 win season with 2-4 losses might not get in because of strength of schedule being weak because the majority of the big conference teams don’t want to play the UB’s of the world??????  There is no fairness in this system and there will never be. Again I am just letting off steam again. It of course is unprecedented for us even to be in these discussions but this is the beauty of college basketball at our level. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for the information. I wonder how they are selected and who does the selection of who is on the committee???? Go Bulls!!!!

Based on the article committee members are assigned conferences to monitor all season. Right around now they should all gather and begin debating and making mock brackets.

1 hour ago, John said:

So if you are in a power 5 conference of one of the top rated conferences your team can have a 500 record or a little above a 500 record, a losing record in your conference and if you have 3-5 wins against the top teams you are going to make the tourney and a mid major that is say overall a 20 win season with 2-4 losses might not get in because of strength of schedule being weak because the majority of the big conference teams don’t want to play the UB’s of the world??????  There is no fairness in this system and there will never be. Again I am just letting off steam again. It of course is unprecedented for us even to be in these discussions but this is the beauty of college basketball at our level. Go Bulls!!!!!

yep.  get in early, or pay your dues to get into a good conference. 

fairness is, of course, subjective.  i might argue a 20 win team with maybe 1 signature win getting in is less fair than indiana not getting in with that resume.  mid majors don't have the opportunity in conference to play a lot of good teams - not exactly the p5 conferences fault that those teams suck. they have limited opportunities ooc, but they're there (look at us), and it's not like you need a lot of opportunities against top ranked opponents if you make the most of them  (look at us, nevada, wofford...).  

hell, one might make the argument that mid majors have an easier route to getting ranked - if you beat 1 or 2 ranked teams, all you have to do is run up a gaudy record against your mediocre ooc opponents (cause, you know, it's so tough to schedule) and lousy in conference opponents, whereas a better p5 team might get beat up day in and day out.  all subjective (and life ain't fair anyway).

Edited by ed

31 minutes ago, ed said:

yep.  get in early, or pay your dues to get into a good conference. 

fairness is, of course, subjective.  i might argue a 20 win team with maybe 1 signature win getting in is less fair than indiana not getting in with that resume.  mid majors don't have the opportunity in conference to play a lot of good teams - not exactly the p5 conferences fault that those teams suck. they have limited opportunities ooc, but they're there (look at us), and it's not like you need a lot of opportunities against top ranked opponents if you make the most of them  (look at us, nevada, wofford...).  

hell, one might make the opportunity that mid majors have an easier route to getting ranked - if you beat 1 or 2 ranked teams, all you have to do is run up a gaudy record against your mediocre ooc opponents (cause, you know, it's so tough to schedule) and lousy in conference opponents, whereas a better p5 team might get beat up day in and day out.  all subjective (and life ain't fair anyway).

I understand. The crappy p5 teams will continue to get richer because of the conference they are in. It is my choice to not watch a lot of power 5 teams that are not good teams. Do agree that is just how the jaded  system is set up and I just have to get off this topic for my own sanity. Will enjoy our ride and Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

UB just dropped 4 KenPom spots to 24, in just one game against Ohio

Even beating them is losing... I am expecting us to run a rampage on BG though. The MACC will be a grind but we have so much depth and experience we can overcome anything.

18 hours ago, weareub46 said:

0.3%. So you’re sayin there’s a chance 

I just think the notion or suggestion at all of UB as a national champ is quite amazing. Not sure I would have expected that thought in my lifetime. I still dont think we end up that high (4 seed) but just the look of it on a bracket would just still seem surreal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

I just think the notion or suggestion at all of UB as a national champ is quite amazing. Not sure I would have expected that thought in my lifetime. I still dont think we end up that high (4 seed) but just the look of it on a bracket would just still seem surreal.

Last year in Albany I said that I probably just witnessed the closest we'll ever get to a team D1 national championship.  And a year later I may be proven wrong.

• Like 1