Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Assistant Coach Calvin Cage leaves for Hampton

18 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I had heard this about a week back, but I saw the first public acknowledgment of it in an Instagram story with Canisius transfer Xzavier Long committing to Hampton and mentioning Cage.

Screenshot? He's private.

6 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't follow Long either. Cage had posted it but now it appears to be gone (maybe it wasn't supposed to be public yet?)

Long is committed there though:

I think Cage's family and daughter is down that way. May be it's a better location for him on a personal level.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I think Cage's family and daughter is down that way. May be it's a better location for him on a personal level.

I think it's partially that. I was also told in November/December that he was already eyeing the UB MBB HC position after GH3 (theoretically) would be canned. I think he didn't want to go down with the current staff and parachuted to a gig closer to home.

Edited by trueblue32

Just now, trueblue32 said:

I don't follow Long either. Cage had posted it but now it appears to be gone (maybe it wasn't supposed to be public yet?)

Long is committed there though:

Gotcha. Any jist of what it said? If true, we'll be losing our commitment from Quintin Cooper who was personally recruited out of DC by Cage.

This is not ideal. Cage isn't necessarily a superstar coach, but he was the most passionate guy on the bench and his UB connection meant something. But there were times that myself and others noticed him looking frustrated with GH3 and everything. I'd understand him bailing on what may be a dead man walking staff and taking the opportunity to move closer to home.

Wonder when they'd get around to making this public?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace him. Maybe someone with an ounce of knowledge and experience.  

Honestly don't think they'll be able to. I can't imagine any coach with experience coming and taking a lower title than Tibbs and Presutti who Halcovage named Associate Head Coaches for no reason. They painted themselves into a corner

22 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Honestly don't think they'll be able to. I can't imagine any coach with experience coming and taking a lower title than Tibbs and Presutti who Halcovage named Associate Head Coaches for no reason. They painted themselves into a corner

If not an experienced former HC, maybe someone younger with some recruiting chops ala Hunter Jenkins but without the whole fraud stuff. 

Who they do hire us surprisingly big in my opinion, it will look bad if it's a promotion from within. Kinda like you can't get any interest in the job

Imagine they have someone already or have a plan since cage is already hired and on another teams website

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

It will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace him. Maybe someone with an ounce of knowledge and experience.  

Take your negativity elsewhere! 

Edited by Chet

14 minutes ago, UB92 said:

How about an alumnus who was on the team and wants to get his start in coaching?  Or is at a low tier program?

Anyone for that bill?  

Zach Filzen (D3 HC), Sean Smiley (D3 HC), Ikenna Smart (NBA Video Coordinator), Brock Bertram (HS Assistant)

• Like 1

Just now, rma said:

Zach Filzen (D3 HC), Sean Smiley (D3 HC), Ikenna Smart (NBA Video Coordinator), Brock Bertram (HS Assistant)

I heard Jay Wrights wife is looking to get him out of the house more 

• Haha 1