Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020-21 Schedule

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Ah, okay, I guess UVM didn't lose as much to graduation as I thought.

Looked into this a little more.  They were ranked 89 last year on barttorvik.com.  Per barttorvik.com returning possession minutes is 61%.  They did lose three  starters including their top scorer Anthony Lamb from last year.  They did add transfers from Northern Arizona and George Washington.   Looks like they did a good job filling for departures.  Will be a good test.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, DocCas86 said:

They did lose three  starters including their top scorer Anthony Lamb from last year. 

Oh, okay.  

That's more in keeping with what I was thinking.

Losing three starters is big, especially when Lamb is gone.  He could take over games and just dominate.  The possession numbers are probably skewed because Lamb would get double teamed so often which would open up other players and inflate their numbers.

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Oh, okay.  

That's more in keeping with what I was thinking.

Losing three starters is big, especially when Lamb is gone.  He could take over games and just dominate.  The possession numbers are probably skewed because Lamb would get double teamed so often which would open up other players and inflate their numbers.

I agree an improvement in rank seems optimistic, but I still think they will be a good test.  I am looking forward to this game.

50 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

... I am looking forward to this game.

Me too.  More generally though, I’m looking forward to see the improvement in free throw shooting, what with all the isolation and all.  

(Everett Duncan finished #2 all time at UVM, shooting 85%.  Ernie Duncan finished #4, with 83%.   Anthony helped inflate some of the other player’s stats, but not these.)

For reference, #2 at UB is only 82%. 

6 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Chanse Robinson looking strong

I have liked most of what I have seen for Chanse.  Initially was thinking 3 ppg for him, but not having Zachery and his work effort, I am optimistic he can contribute more..would like to see about 5 - 6 ppg...This would put him on par with Graves /  Bearden freshman year.  Fingers crossed.

image.png.81a2a5a6b13e428c25e7bc8f4bc7109e.png

7 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I have liked most of what I have seen for Chanse.  Initially was thinking 3 ppg for him, but not having Zachery and his work effort, I am optimistic he can contribute more..would like to see about 5 - 6 ppg...This would put him on par with Graves /  Bearden freshman year.  Fingers crossed.

image.png.81a2a5a6b13e428c25e7bc8f4bc7109e.png

Curious what you've seen that you've liked. He keeps as low of a profile as I've seen from a kid these days. We have seen maybe two minutes of footage from the official accounts. And the "reporters" who covered the team in 2018 have all disappeared. Genuinely curious because the was genuine excitement when Chanse committed, it was a huge under the radar get for us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Curious what you've seen that you've liked. He keeps as low of a profile as I've seen from a kid these days. We have seen maybe two minutes of footage from the official accounts. And the "reporters" who covered the team in 2018 have all disappeared. Genuinely curious because the was genuine excitement when Chanse committed, it was a huge under the radar get for us.

My optimism (perhaps too much so) stems from a number of tweets that were shared on his recruiting profile showing dedication to go extra mile. In addition to the limited video and I confess influence of initial buzz also lead to my favorable outlook.  

5 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

My optimism (perhaps too much so) stems from a number of tweets that were shared on his recruiting profile showing dedication to go extra mile. In addition to the limited video and I confess influence of initial buzz also lead to my favorable outlook.  

That video (granted its just practice)  think shows he can play in the MAC this year and thats a good thing because we will need him to play a lot more than expected

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I'm with you. I remember the video of him jumping with the bungies attached to him. He seems well positioned to continue the hard-nosed southern PG tradition that Davonta and Rondo have established.

In general I just miss coverage and excitement around the team. I know 2017-2018 was a golden era that may not be repeatable year to year, but a slightly off first season under Whitesell followed by Covid has dampened a bit of the momentum and enthusiasm around the program. Getting Zaakir commited was a nice boost.

I assume everyone is operating under the assumption that the entire season will be played without fans? Really going to miss being in the building if so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

I'm with you. I remember the video of him jumping with the bungies attached to him. He seems well positioned to continue the hard-nosed southern PG tradition that Davonta and Rondo have established.

In general I just miss coverage and excitement around the team. I know 2017-2018 was a golden era that may not be repeatable year to year, but a slightly off first season under Whitesell followed by Covid has dampened a bit of the momentum and enthusiasm around the program. Getting Zaakir commited was a nice boost.

I assume everyone is operating under the assumption that the entire season will be played without fans? Really going to miss being in the building if so.

I agree that not as fun this year but I was assuming mostly covid related rather than folks losing interest.   For example last year I thought there was a glimpse into practice.  Where this year I would guess No One outside program can come in.   I am still hopeful for the season...but do think without Zachery we are going to need some more from Robinson or Gallion.  Also hope we get production from Hartnett and Skogman.  

I am not local so will be watching as much ESPN+  as I can...agree it will be good to get back to normal someday.

30 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Buffalo News reports no Canisius or Niagara on schedule this season.

Some details from Buffalo News article:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

UB men's basketball won't face Canisius, Niagara this season

UB-Buffalo-Basketball-Scull-Alumni-Arena-William Mary

University at Buffalo players celebrate a three-point basket against William & Mary during the second half of a college basketball game at Alumni Arena on Nov. 30, 2019.

Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News

The University at Buffalo’s men’s basketball schedule won’t include a pair of local opponents this season.

UB Athletic Director Mark Alnutt told The News on Tuesday that while the men’s basketball schedule hasn’t been finalized, the Bulls will not face Big 4 opponents Canisius or Niagara.

“Niagara is off, with certain restrictions and what they’re trying to do,” Alnutt said. “Jim (Whitesell) has talked to their coach and I’ve talked to (Niagara AD) Simon Gray and their schedule is pretty much set as to where they want it. It would have been an opportunity for us to go up there, but they’re looking at an opportunity next year.

“Canisius, we needed to take a break this year, and resume that game next year. We’ll do that, for a variety of reasons. With St. Bonaventure, we’re scheduled to play them, but we are still finalizing the date.”

Canisius leads the all-time series against Buffalo, 32-19. The series dates back to 1912, but this will be the first pause in the series since the 1994-95 season.

The postponement of the Canisius-UB series comes after an off-campus incident last month, in which UB basketball player Malik Zachery was arrested in connection with the stabbing of Canisius’ Scott Hitchon during a pickup basketball game. Zachery faces two felony charges (second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon) and is scheduled to appear in North Tonawanda City Court for a hearing in December.

The four-year contract between UB and Bona, obtained by The News through a Freedom of Information Act request, states that the nonconference game is scheduled for Dec. 5 at the Reilly Center in Allegany, but can be rescheduled by both schools.

The changes in the schedule for UB come in a year in which schedules have been condensed and in some cases overhauled because of the Covid-19 pandemic. College basketball season is scheduled to begin Nov. 25; its original start date was Nov. 10, but was pushed back 15 days to coincide with winter breaks at colleges around the country. Many colleges have opted to end in-person classes prior to Thanksgiving, and switch to remote learning through the remainder of the fall semester.

Bona said Niagara and Canisius are on its tentative nonconference schedule, along with UB.

'None of the Big 4 teams – UB, Bona, Canisius and Niagara – has released its nonconference schedules yet, though Alnutt anticipates UB will release its schedule by the end of the month.

Alnutt also said UB’s men’s basketball schedule will be primarily a regional schedule, and that UB is also considering playing in a MTE (multi-team event) in Connecticut, in lieu of the Paradise Jam. Both UB and Bona withdrew from the eight-team tournament, which was scheduled for Nov. 20-23 in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Stadium.com reported last week that the MTE will include UB, Iona and Vermont, and is scheduled for Nov. 30-Dec. 2 at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn.

Seems like they’re in the process of creating a challenging out of conference schedule which will be a good test before the conference schedule. Losing Zachery will be tough but I’m really confident in our guards. Graves, Segu, and gallion are great players and I think they’ll be great contributors. Robinson looks good in practice and I’ll believe he will bring a exciting flare to the game when he checks in. I’m hoping Nickleberry has a breakout year, he’s a great player and should be a force if he stays healthy 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Seems like they’re in the process of creating a challenging out of conference schedule which will be a good test before the conference schedule. Losing Zachery will be tough but I’m really confident in our guards. Graves, Segu, and gallion are great players and I think they’ll be great contributors. Robinson looks good in practice and I’ll believe he will bring a exciting flare to the game when he checks in. I’m hoping Nickleberry has a breakout year, he’s a great player and should be a force if he stays healthy 

Good call out on Nickelberry - Barttorvik has him only averaging 1.8 PPG on less than 10 minutes per game.  His seasons with Memphis 2.8 PPG as freshman and sophomore year with Trinity Valley 15.0 PPG indicate he has ability.  Here's hoping you are right.  That would be huge lift to overall team depth.