Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

48 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Big question is, does he have to sit out as a two time transfer?

Snooped around the Akron Zip fan board to see if I could find anything there.  They are talking like he will be playing next year.  I guess they need Butler to agree to a waiver?

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Snooped around the Akron Zip fan board to see if I could find anything there.  They are talking like he will be playing next year.  I guess they need Butler to agree to a waiver?

The rules are just so wonky these days.

Transfer Portal Statistics

School              Requests Trans Out Trans In
Central Michigan    9        7         1
Buffalo             8        5         0
Miami               8        3         2
*Bowling Green      7        4         3
Toledo              6        4         1
Northern Illinois   5        3         2
Eastern Michigan    5        0         1
Ball State          5        2         2
Western Michigan    4        3         2
Akron               3        1         3
Kent State          3        0         2
Ohio                1        0         2

UB is the only MAC school to have no player transfer to them.

Half of the MAC players in the transfer portal have found new homes (but none for Eastern Michigan).

I guess no surprise that Akron, Kent and Ohio have few players transferring and on top of that, are bring in new transfers.

Is UB more focused on HS recruits than transfers?

Edited by bullsbball

This is a quote on Bobcat Attack allegedly from Jeff Boals regarding the transfer portal while talking to fans at a caravan event:

Unsurprising insight from caravan event in Pickerington:
Players in the portal are driven by dollar signs. "And big men are more expensive than anyone else." -- Jeff Boals.

I read somewhere that it was rumored Ohio had a decent chunk of change in their collective for basketball. They recently added a former 4-star Maryland transfer and 3-star Creighton transfer.

Pair that together with UB being relatively quiet on the portal front and it makes you think. Jerrod Calhoun was rumored to not be interested in the job once he heard about the Bulls NIL situation. I think this is going to play a bigger factor going forward than many posters on this board want to admit.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is a quote on Bobcat Attack allegedly from Jeff Boals regarding the transfer portal while talking to fans at a caravan event:

Players in the portal are driven by dollar signs. "And big men are more expensive than anyone else." -- Jeff Boals.

I read somewhere that it was rumored Ohio had a decent chunk of change in their collective for basketball. They recently added a former 4-star Maryland transfer and 3-star Creighton transfer.

Pair that together with UB being relatively quiet on the portal front and it makes you think. Jerrod Calhoun was rumored to not be interested in the job once he heard about the Bulls NIL situation. I think this is going to play a bigger factor going forward than many posters on this board want to admit.

Big men cost more bc they have no future in the nba therefore they stay in college and make money. Example Bacot from UNC and now Dickinson. Who literally said he chose Kansas bc they paid him more than Michigan did. Also it’s clear to see we had no NIL plan and that whatever plan we had severely lacked. Hopefully the new regime is committed to growing the nil base.

6 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

If a school sets up a collective, how long before a lawsuit is brought to make sure that the money distributed is in compliance with Title IX?

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

If a school sets up a collective, how long before a lawsuit is brought to make sure that the money distributed is in compliance with Title IX?

Good question. But isn't the NIL money ultimately money from private sources and not really subject to Title IX?

12 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Jerrod Calhoun was rumored to not be interested in the job once he heard about the Bulls NIL situation.

Yeah, Youngstown State is really up there when it comes to NIL collectives, facilities, and budget. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Eh they beat out Bonaventure, Grand Canyon, and George Mason for Cornish. They beat out Bradley, Nebraska Omaha, and North Texas for Mitchell. That's fine, Ohio is a good mid-major program, that doesn't scream spending big bucks to me. High major benchwarmers have to go somewhere if they're being squeezed out by mid-major up transfers. Unless they've announced NIL deals since committing I don't think this is what the differentiating factor is. Boals has been pretty open about being an old man yelling at a cloud since the NCAA tournament.

Edited by trueblue32

1 hour ago, rma said:

Yeah, Youngstown State is really up there when it comes to NIL collectives, facilities, and budget. 

The reasoning was “why would he leave a job for another similar situation at UB when he can wait for something better?”

His contract ended up getting re-worked. Calhoun has also already had success with the portal at YSU which is an awful job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Eh they beat out Bonaventure, Grand Canyon, and George Mason for Cornish. They beat out Bradley, Nebraska Omaha, and North Texas for Mitchell. That's fine, Ohio is a good mid-major program, that doesn't scream spending big bucks to me. High major benchwarmers have to go somewhere if they're being squeezed out by mid-major up transfers. Unless they've announced NIL deals since committing I don't think this is what the differentiating factor is. Boals has been pretty open about being an old man yelling at a cloud since the NCAA tournament.

Fair point and you’re right that the list of schools involved weren’t tremendous. Ohio was in the running for talented Monmouth transfer Myles Foster (went to Illinois State) and is pursuing another former Top 200 recruit out of UCONN and Texas A&M. The point is that Boals is being aggressive. I didn’t want to post this because it’s unconfirmed but there was a rumor that Ohio’s collective has raised $100,000 for basketball. That’s not nothing if true…

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

The reasoning was “why would he leave a job for another similar situation at UB when he can wait for something better?”

His contract ended up getting re-worked. Calhoun has also already had success with the portal at YSU which is an awful job.

He would also need to be formally offered the UB job, too. Not just his agent saying that he was offered the job to get more money from YSU.

My prediction is that the better job never comes. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong.

• Like 2