Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

11 hours ago, rma said:

Steven Stryker. His dad is Jon Stryker.

WMU's medical school is named after his great grandfather. I was wrong, it was actually Jon Stryker's sister who provided the $100 million gift to name the med school. But Jon has donated at least $5 million (combined) to WMU, a school he didn't attend.

There's also a $550 million anonymous donation to WMU that is rumored to be from the Stryker family.

I have it on pretty good authority that back when we had a men's soccer team the Strykers had committed to build a soccer specific stadium next to/behind the football stadium. The rumor was that Allen Greene was pushing too hard on it and the Strykers backed off. Soon after the soccer team got axed. That season IIRC the men's team was at one point the top team receiving votes in the soccer poll (essentially #26 nationally) and we had built a pretty good student following for the team. What could've been

10 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Waiting patiently for an attorney's opinion on this.  lol

Hahaha attorneys.  I think there was a ruling recently passed or in the court system in Cali that said athletes are state employees or something like that. If that becomes the case then this whole NIL goes into another realm

14 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Hahaha attorneys.  I think there was a ruling recently passed or in the court system in Cali that said athletes are state employees or something like that. If that becomes the case then this whole NIL goes into another realm

I've honestly always thought a real simple solution to paying student athletes and keeping it student based would be to make them "employees" pay them but have it all be deposited into an IRA/401k/403b or some retirement account. When they graduate they can withdraw the funds or move it and keep building it

Definitely over simplified but feel like it's something that could work and be beneficial to both the school and the student athletes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

The rumor was that Allen Greene was pushing too hard on it and the Strykers backed off. Soon after the soccer team got axed.

Probably had to figure out very fast if he needed to discontinue soccer or another sport like wrestling.

47 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The recent case in California was a finding that football and basketball players at USC were employees.  There is a hearing challenging the finding in November before an administrative judge within the NLRB.  The ruling if favorable to the students would not apply to UB.  That is because UB as a state agency is not subject to the National Labor Relations Act.

Regardless of your position on whether or not they are employees, why was the decision limited to football and basketball?  Students playing all other sports have the exact same commitment and similar obligations.  Also why is it limited to Division I?  Any ruling should also apply to Division II and Division III and NAIA private schools.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The recent case in California was a finding that football and basketball players at USC were employees.  There is a hearing challenging the finding in November before an administrative judge within the NLRB.  The ruling if favorable to the students would not apply to UB.  That is because UB as a state agency is not subject to the National Labor Relations Act.

Regardless of your position on whether or not they are employees, why was the decision limited to football and basketball?  Students playing all other sports have the exact same commitment and similar obligations.  Also why is it limited to Division I?  Any ruling should also apply to Division II and Division III and NAIA private schools.

I think this would be step one. Open the flood gates so to speak. 

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Big time transfer up

That feels like a great fit for Dennis. I like him a lot as a player, glad to be able to root for him now.

Not great for the MAC to lose it's best guys, but imo we needn't sweat comings and goings at the top of the conference at the moment. 

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ohio lands a Top 200 HS recruit in the 2024 class. Ayden Evans is a 6-10 center (listed as 6-8) on 247, a 3 star recruit, ranked 185th in his class and 32nd among centers. He chose the Bobcats over West Virginia, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Missouri. Bobcats will be anxious to make sure he signs during the fall.

https://247sports.com/player/ayden-evans-46118012/

Rivals has him listed as a 4 star player.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/ayden-evans-286511?view=pv

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

33 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Ohio lands a Top 200 HS recruit in the 2024 class. Ayden Evans is a 6-10 center (listed as 6-8) on 247, a 3 star recruit, ranked 185th in his class and 32nd among centers. He chose the Bobcats over West Virginia, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Missouri. Bobcats will be anxious to make sure he signs during the fall.

https://247sports.com/player/ayden-evans-46118012/

Rivals has him listed as a 4 star player.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/ayden-evans-286511?view=pv

If the coach does well this year, he will be gone as will this guy. I would be surprised if he signs this fall. 

• Like 1