Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

12 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Not a good showing by the MAC, just 2-9 in  round 2 vs the SBC.  Ironic that UB got one of those wins, and the only other MAC team we’ve beaten got the other one.

And that is why the MAC is a one-bid league. We really need to get out of this conference. American or SBC would be a great step up. I know its unlikely, but it feels like we are just treading water.

12 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

And that is why the MAC is a one-bid league. We really need to get out of this conference. American or SBC would be a great step up. I know its unlikely, but it feels like we are just treading water.

And both MAC wins this round were by 1 pt, so *this close*  to being swept 11-0.  I thought the MAC’s top 2 would fare well but Akron’s game wasn’t even close.  At least Toledo took App State to 2OT.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Can’t agree more. If Bills and NYS could have built in Amherst, Big 10 could have been a real possibility especially considering our rise in MBB, WBB and football until those runs ended. Now we are stuck in shit. Would have loved Danny White’s leadership to get that done although the reality is that most likely never happens.  ADMA seems like a great human being, but appears to significantly lack the ability and stamina required to move us forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

Can’t agree more. If Bills and NYS could have built in Amherst, Big 10 could have been a real possibility especially considering our rise in MBB, WBB and football until those runs ended. Now we are stuck in shit. Would have loved Danny White’s leadership to get that done although the reality is that most likely never happens.  ADMA seems like a great human being, but appears to significantly lack the ability and stamina required to move us forward.

You can lay this on the feet of the AD, but the President, based on what has and hasn’t happened, isn’t supportive of doing that at the present time. 

The focus is on investment in research…as evidenced by what has happened during the last several years.  Heck, that AI institute is now at UB. 

Sports investment will need to wait.  

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Big 10? That’s comical. The President and SUNY have zero interest in funding a $100+ million operation. We can’t even get a videoboard made in the last 30 years. 

For what it's worth, UB is 4 games back of going to Cleveland (WMU is 5-7 in the 8-spot, with UB at 1-11).  Western is home to Miami on Tuesday, with UB home against Eastern.  If Western wins and UB loses, I'm not sure how the tiebreakers work but UB would be 5 games out with 5 to play.  It's conceivable (though again, I don't know how the MAC tiebreakers work) that UB could be eliminated from postseason play on Tuesday night.

9 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

BG about to knock off Toledo. So many uncharacteristic unforced errors by Toledo down the stretch. 71-63 with 1 minute left. 

Very lively crowd in BG. Big win for them.

All 4 MAC teams who played tonight have the kind of players that UB just doesn’t have right now.  Got a long way to go to catch up 

Edited by Bluebird96

17 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is great news for the MAC. Adding UMass is tremendous for basketball and also signals the conference might still want to add Western Kentucky to round things off.

Can you imagine a MAC with:

UMass, WKU, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Buffalo etc...

That's a pretty good mid-major league most years!

We need to get our sh!t together in the two big sports. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is great news for the MAC. Adding UMass is tremendous for basketball and also signals the conference might still want to add Western Kentucky to round things off.

Can you imagine a MAC with:

UMass, WKU, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Buffalo etc...

That's a pretty good mid-major league most years!

There’s no way we can drop the directionals in favor of this right? Keep it like 12 teams but replace WMU, CMU, EMU, and maybe NIU?

UMASS was 3-9 in football, 3 of those losses to MAC teams. Interestingly, they also just hired Shane Montgomery as their new OC. I’m not very excited with this news, maybe I’m missing something.

Mens Basketball is 17-10, but 8-7 in conference. I suppose it will bring us up a notch, but they will also likely start getting lower level players that will be MAC worthy but maybe not A10 worthy.

maybe it will be an upgrade, but I still want out of the MAC.

Was this chart supposed to be impressive somehow? they are worse than any MAC team in football and Buffalo over this time period is better then UMASS. They are a good academic and research school, spend more money on athletics than anyone in the conferences, yet suck in football and a middling in MBB. Marcus Camby is currently 49 years old, so if that is the “rich basketball history”, that was a while back.

image.png.5a6de6cefae7c84d51bbf93db0f811d0.png

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

UMASS was 3-9 in football, 3 of those losses to MAC teams. Interestingly, they also just hired Shane Montgomery as their new OC. I’m not very excited with this news, maybe I’m missing something.

Mens Basketball is 17-10, but 8-7 in conference. I suppose it will bring us up a notch, but they will also likely start getting lower level players that will be MAC worthy but maybe not A10 worthy.

maybe it will be an upgrade, but I still want out of the MAC.

UMass basketball would be the top team in the MAC this season. Look at it as strictly a basketball addition. The conference benefits when there's more quality teams. Adding UMass helps out with that. I also think it's likely there's another move to be made. The Sun Belt shocked a lot of people with their aggressiveness last year. The MAC obviously took some notes and wants to look out for their long term future.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

11 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Was this chart supposed to be impressive somehow? they are worse than any MAC team in football and Buffalo over this time period is better then UMASS. They are a good academic and research school, spend more money on athletics than anyone in the conferences, yet suck in football and a middling in MBB. Marcus Camby is currently 49 years old, so if that is the “rich basketball history”, that was a while back.

UMass has won 11 NCAA Tournament games and has reached the Final Four, Elite Eight and a Sweet 16 and now they're in the MAC. They have the most basketball history of anyone in our conference. They also went to the NIT Finals in 2008 and NIT Semifinals in 2012. They pay Frank Martin over $1.6 million

They're leaving the 8th ranked KenPom conference for the 24th ranked league. They spend money and have a good academic reputation. This is a good move for the MAC. A big reason their football is awful is because they've been independent and recently jumped up to FBS 12 years ago. It's not easy for Northeast Schools in poor recruiting areas to be successful at football. We know that being UB fans lol

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

21 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Who are our 5 National Champions? Jones obviously and the D3 wrestling team, but I can't recall the others.

I also did a sport by sport analysis in another post. They are upper half of the MAC in men's basketball but it isn't like we're adding Gonzaga. They'll compete with Akron and Kent State for an upper seed in Cleveland.

Nice to add some academics to the conference though. I'm really getting worried about Akron potentially folding their entire school at some point. They had a program accreditation lapse a few years ago and had to settle with some students that sued them. Whoops!

4 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UMass basketball would be the top team in the MAC this season. Look at it as strictly a basketball addition. The conference benefits when there's more quality teams. Adding UMass helps out with that. I also think it's likely there's another move to be made. The Sun Belt shocked a lot of people with their aggressiveness last year. The MAC obviously took some notes and wants to look out for their long term future as a G5 football conference.

Ok, I will reserve judgement until 2025, but it doesn’t make the MAC a 2 bid league or anything of that level. Also, by this logic St Bonaventure would be #1 in the MAC as well. What does their NIL situation look like?

They apparently spend a lot of money on athletics, however:

They have 9 men’s sports/10 women’s sports. This includes expensive sports such as hockey and lacrosse. 

UB has 6 men’s sports/8 women’s sports. 

UMASS: $43.9 million = $2.3 million per sport

Buffalo: $31.0 million = $2.2 million per sport 

Obviously I’m aware each sport isn’t allocated equally but it’s interesting to me nonetheless.