Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

26 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UMass has won 11 NCAA Tournament games and has reached the Final Four, Elite Eight and a Sweet 16 and now they're in the MAC. They have the most basketball history of anyone in our conference. They also went to the NIT Finals in 2008 and NIT Semifinals in 2012. They pay Frank Martin over $1.6 million

They're leaving the 8th ranked KenPom conference for the 24th ranked league. They spend money and have a good academic reputation. This is a good move for the MAC. A big reason their football is awful is because they've been independent and recently jumped up to FBS 12 years ago. It's not easy for Northeast Schools in poor recruiting areas to be successful at football. We know that being UB fans lol

Don’t dispute those stats, however their last NCAA appearance was 2014, they haven’t achieved Sweet 16 let alone Round of 32 since 1996 (note the 1996 season that ended in the final 4 was vacated). They haven’t won the conference tournament since 1996, they were last regular season champs in 2007. Will they be Top 4 in the MAC? Probably and should paying their coach close to double the normal going rate for a MAC coach. Potentially their coach may bail knowing their basketball future will be less bright and his recruiting may take a dip. We have had 2 slighter better than average players jump the MAC to A-10 in the last few years just from UB.

All this said, I don’t see this move doing much to change the image of the MAC. I do appreciate your optimistic outlook of this move and I will grant you it is better than nothing, which is the usual course of the MAC

14 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Ok, I will reserve judgement until 2025, but it doesn’t make the MAC a 2 bid league or anything of that level. Also, by this logic St Bonaventure would be #1 in the MAC as well. What does their NIL situation look like?

They apparently spend a lot of money on athletics, however:

They have 9 men’s sports/10 women’s sports. This includes expensive sports such as hockey and lacrosse. 

UB has 6 men’s sports/8 women’s sports. 

UMASS: $43.9 million = $2.3 million per sport

Buffalo: $31.0 million = $2.2 million per sport 

Obviously I’m aware each sport isn’t allocated equally but it’s interesting to me nonetheless. 

Correct! This doesn’t make the MAC a 2 bid league but it improves the overall strength of the league and give the conference a better chance of at-large berths into the NCAA Tournament (very unlikely) and the NIT (more probable).

I’d lump UMass in with Akron, Kent State, UB, Ohio and Toledo. They’re good this year but they’ll likely be among the group above during most seasons.

Where this move will have more importance is if it’s a combo move with other teams in play. That’s one way to really improve the strength of the league basketball wise. If I told most mid-major college basketball fans the MAC was adding UMass and WKU, they’d say that’s great for the league.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

14 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Also, by this logic St Bonaventure would be #1 in the MAC as well.

They would be near the top in men's basketball but they're a one trick pony. Bare minimum resources to other programs, especially women's programs.

Our softball team, lead by a rotating set of coaches, that up until this year rotated their home field with a high school field, a D2 softball field, and a swamp, was 3-5 against them in the past 10 years. The other sports we both compete in aren't nearly as competitive for Bona as the softball series is. Our soccer team is 5-2 the last 10 years, women's basketball 8-2, women's tennis 12-0 (last loss to Bona was September 2000).

12 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Don’t dispute those stats, however their last NCAA appearance was 2014, they haven’t achieved Sweet 16 let alone Round of 32 since 1996 (note the 1996 season that ended in the final 4 was vacated). They haven’t won the conference tournament since 1996, they were last regular season champs in 2007. Will they be Top 4 in the MAC? Probably and should paying their coach close to double the normal going rate for a MAC coach. Potentially their coach may bail knowing their basketball future will be less bright and his recruiting may take a dip. We have had 2 slighter better than average players jump the MAC to A-10 in the last few years just from UB.

All this said, I don’t see this move doing much to change the image of the MAC. I do appreciate your optimistic outlook of this move and I will grant you it is better than nothing, which is the usual course of the MAC

While you’re right about their lack of tournament success, they’ve had five Top 86 KenPom seasons since 2007. While they have more resources in the A10, they’ve also had a much tougher road playing in a Top 10 league most years. Simply adding them to the MAC won’t drastically change the image of the league but they’ll be a tough team if they continue to spend the same way they currently are. If they reduce their budget, then they could be just another MAC school but I’m assuming they’re making this move because of football and the assumption they’ll be successful in basketball taking a step down.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

UMass joining has to be a good thing for UB right?

Either it signals an expanding MAC that includes more schools like UB or the top of the MAC or maybe it gives UB a partner to join another current conference more east coast based or one that doesn't even exist yet 

Personally feel UB should be in a conference more east coast/atlantic based, heck even our recruiting seems to be headed that direction in recent years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Marcus Camby is currently 49 years old,

Julius Erving just turned 74.  His last two choices for college were UB and UMass.  He went to UMass because they hired his high school coach as an assistant.  This per former UB man's and women's basketball coach and former AD, Ed Muto.

11 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Julius Erving just turned 74.  His last two choices for college were UB and UMass.  He went to UMass because they hired his high school coach as an assistant.  This per former UB man's and women's basketball coach and former AD, Ed Muto.

12 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Sprry for the triple post.  It did not look like the first attempt was posted.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is a cool fun fact! I may use this in future discussions.

On paper it seems like a great move for everything except football.  Their basketball program (while no, it's not Gonzaga) will raise the overall tides of the conference and they'll compete at a high level.  Academically it seems like a slam dunk and gives UB an academic peer in the conference.  

Football doesn't move the needle much, but overall I think this is a pretty nice get for the MAC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UMass has won 11 NCAA Tournament games and has reached the Final Four, Elite Eight and a Sweet 16 and now they're in the MAC. They have the most basketball history of anyone in our conference. They also went to the NIT Finals in 2008 and NIT Semifinals in 2012. They pay Frank Martin over $1.6 million

They're leaving the 8th ranked KenPom conference for the 24th ranked league. They spend money and have a good academic reputation. This is a good move for the MAC. A big reason their football is awful is because they've been independent and recently jumped up to FBS 12 years ago. It's not easy for Northeast Schools in poor recruiting areas to be successful at football. We know that being UB fans lol

Huge fan of Frank Martin heck of a coach and serious recruiter. He took University of South Carolina to final 4 during his 10yrs there. This is his second year at UMass and already +2 in conference play. His style of play and overall experience  MAC MBB is on notice when they officially join. The good thing though he has reset the market for MAC MBB coaches and staff salaries.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

NIU beat Toledo on their home court tonight.  Previously with 3 MAC wins, now 2 full games ahead of UB for DFL.  Maybe there’s hope for the Bulls when they play the Rockets on Saturday?

Or NIU made them mad and we’re about to feel the heat from it

16 hours ago, clodney said:

BGSU, Western Michigan, Miami, and UMASS... only 2 more and we can make our own hockey conference!

Can we repurpose center for the arts for this? I think the middle part with the vaulted ceiling all lit up would make a cool rink. I want a hockey team so bad, we’d suck the first few years being outrecruited and without a conference, but it would be so much fun.

4 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Can we repurpose center for the arts for this? I think the middle part with the vaulted ceiling all lit up would make a cool rink. I want a hockey team so bad, we’d suck the first few years being outrecruited and without a conference, but it would be so much fun.

Call up Jeremy Jacobs and get him to fund it

Tight game between BG and Ohio on CBSSN.  Each team just seems to have the kind of athletic players that UB lacks at the moment.  Looking forward to a day when we can compete with even these middle tier MAC teams on a consistent basis.