Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

BG the only other MAC team in the WNIT field.  I have to assume Toledo and Ball will be invited to play in the CBI or whatever the other invitational is (which I also assume will be a step up in competition from the WNIT).

Will be nice to see UB get to play at least one more game and Watson get a chance to add to her season point total. 🤘

18 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

BG the only other MAC team in the WNIT field.  I have to assume Toledo and Ball will be invited to play in the CBI or whatever the other invitational is (which I also assume will be a step up in competition from the WNIT).

Will be nice to see UB get to play at least one more game and Watson get a chance to add to her season point total. 🤘

Toledo and Ball St. were both selected to the WBIT. That is now considered the "second tier" women's event since it is funded by the NCAA. The WNIT is now the "third tier" tournament since it's still a pay to play format. In any case, glad they get to experience some more postseason basketball and maybe we can win one or two.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Former Ohio and current Alabama guard Mark Sears named Second-Team AP All-American. That's incredibly impressive.

Truly is. He's one of the success stories, unfortunately the % are against most of these guys. Congrats to him.

1 hour ago, eyjee said:

Could see this being an Ali x2 situation and he goes back to Ball St.

I guess the grass was a sprayed on green at Indiana not the lush Kentucky bluegrass he was expecting 

5 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

The MAC is taking some hits, roughly 30 in portal, latest transfers include Sullinger and Moss.

The fact that Sullinger stayed in the MAC this year and didn't go MVC or something surprised me. Especially after the success of a guys Sears and Dennis at P5 schools.

10 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Also a cautionary tale that now 2 good players leave for greener pastures, find out it’s not so green, then return. 

As more and more people see this, or people not finding another school to play for, I believe the portal will have fewer entrants.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

As more and more people see this, or people not finding another school to play for, I believe the portal will have fewer entrants.

There were 800 in the first week. That is insane! I believe there are 349 D1 basketball teams currently, at 14 per roster, that's 4,886 players. 800 is 16% roster turnover. That doesn't even count players that will get added as teams drop off in the various tournaments. I would say maybe 20% of players exhaust eligibility (Seniors, Grads, Covid holdovers) plus incoming freshman along with those trying to jump up from JUCO/NAIA/D2/D3. Doesn't seem like there are enough chairs. 

13 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

There were 800 in the first week. That is insane! I believe there are 349 D1 basketball teams currently, at 14 per roster, that's 4,886 players. 800 is 16% roster turnover. That doesn't even count players that will get added as teams drop off in the various tournaments. I would say maybe 20% of players exhaust eligibility (Seniors, Grads, Covid holdovers) plus incoming freshman along with those trying to jump up from JUCO/NAIA/D2/D3. Doesn't seem like there are enough chairs. 

I agree - the MAC has 37 (or 36 - depending B. Artis White - is he staying at WMU?) - this represents approximately 21% of MAC players in the portal - with likely more to come. 

Ball St picks up Sparks, but the next day Jaylin Anderson indicates he is going into the portal.

Edited by DocCas86

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree - the MAC has 37 (or 36 - depending B. Artis White - is he staying at WMU?) - this represents approximately 21% of MAC players in the portal - with likely more to come. 

Ball St picks up Sparks, but the next day Jaylin Anderson indicates he is going into the portal.

It is truly a wild ride!

7 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Wait till he finds out it's in Ohio, which is in Canada 🙃

I'm not seeing any stats from last season. Was he injured or just stuck on the bench? His freshman year he played 101 minutes and 2.6 ppg and 1.5 rpg. 4-star recruit apparently at one time. This is yet another reason why I'm not worried about the stars our recruits receive.

Arguably our best player in program history was a late add out of Texas with 0 Division 1 offers, but I would take his heart and desire to win over anyone. He made those around him better.

48 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I'm not seeing any stats from last season. Was he injured or just stuck on the bench? His freshman year he played 101 minutes and 2.6 ppg and 1.5 rpg. 4-star recruit apparently at one time. This is yet another reason why I'm not worried about the stars our recruits receive.

Arguably our best player in program history was a late add out of Texas with 0 Division 1 offers, but I would take his heart and desire to win over anyone. He made those around him better.

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2023/11/9/23954175/kam-craft-could-be-done-for-the-season-xavier-basketball-redshirt

Seems like he had a knee injury in his freshman year - had surgery but had an issue again last year.  If he is healthy, maybe a good pickup for Miami (OH).

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2023/11/9/23954175/kam-craft-could-be-done-for-the-season-xavier-basketball-redshirt

Seems like he had a knee injury in his freshman year - had surgery but had an issue again last year.  If he is healthy, maybe a good pickup for Miami (OH).

Thank you. We will see how it goes. Knees on basketball players are always tough 

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I know we've had the conversation a hundred times but the current transfer system is rotten. Fans having to hope that "Hill will consider a return to BGSU as he explores his options" is a crummy spot to be in. Having to rerecruit your stars every year is a thankless one-way relationship. 

While I appreciate the players embracing the opportunity for "empowerment," there is a correction coming. A semi-pro sport with uninhibited free agent movement will not have longevity. Time will tell, people don't want to root for a random collection of mercenaries every year. Fans and donors make the world of college sports go 'round and fans are getting shorted right now. Without our dollars, college kids could absolutely play basketball with each other, but no one would care, pay, or watch. A fan union might be in order to remind players, coaches, ADs, etc who's really the boss. 

• Like 6