Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo/EMU 2.17.22 (12pm)

UBinMD

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Someone mentioned it before, but when Brewton steps on the court today, something happens. It's bizarre that one player sucks air out of the room like that.

I’ve noticed the second unit has been 4 reserves and Williams. That’s too many reserves on the floor together. Should be no more than 3 reserves. That might explain their sluggishness. 

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

Somehow we got a call! Might have been fortuitous, but I believe the ball was still on the Buffalo side. 99/100 times that's a backcourt violation.

It was on an inbounds…you’re allowed to go into the backcourt. Williams should know that…they way he acted was unnecessary. He was good to go into the backcourt.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It was on an inbounds…you’re allowed to go into the backcourt. Williams should know that…they way he acted was unnecessary. He was good to go into the backcourt.

What's the rule on that? Since he landed with his first and only (pivot) foot in the frontcourt, then put his other foot down in the backcourt, I thought it might be ruled a violation.

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

What's the rule on that? Since he landed with his first and only (pivot) foot in the frontcourt, then put his other foot down in the backcourt, I thought it might be ruled a violation.

It's where the ball is on that play, so I believe the call was correct. However, Williams would have done himself a better service to not have tiptoed the line, just take a step back, receive the ball and move on. He basically created a controversy where none should have existed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Exactly what @UBinMDjust said. Williams is allowed to land and establish position wherever he lands. He just made it awkward when he didn’t have to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Their version of Rondo. I actually think he could be dangerous in the coming seasons.

4 star recruit out of HS I believe, has a huge social media following much like Segu does. Wouldn’t be surprised if eastern becomes a sleeper in the coming seasons 

Took care of business on what could’ve been a trap game. First unit was strong. Can’t fault Whitesell with getting the second unit minutes bc of the loaded schedule. Only critique is turnovers and free throws. Had we shot better at the line this game wouldn’t have been as close. As coach just said…stack wins and keep improving. 

• Like 2

Did eastern ever get close? Or was it always a double digit lead

Didn't watch the game, just followed this thread and would check the score from time to time

Every time I went to check the score after reading this board I thought I would see a tie game or a one or 2 possession game. Each time it was double digit lead and each time I laughed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whitesell showed up for the post-game interview at least to take credit for the win - typical. In all seriousness, for all his shortcomings which we've discussed thoroughly, he's a truly likable guy and I'm proud to have him representing us.

80 minutes played in 40 hours time. 80 minutes spent in the driver's seat. This team really isn't far off from the powerhouse we all expected, so I get the frustration at times. If we had a neutral or even positive replacement player in Brewton's place and our main guys cleaned up their own trouble spots (consistency, turnovers, FTs), I think we'd be right there with the top couple teams in the MAC. Hell, if the Bona and Canisius buzzer beaters go our way...oh well. We're 15-8, 9-4 as it stands and rounding into our best form of the year. Let's go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Did eastern ever get close? Or was it always a double digit lead

Didn't watch the game, just followed this thread and would check the score from time to time

Every time I went to check the score after reading this board I thought I would see a tie game or a one or 2 possession game. Each time it was double digit lead and each time I laughed 

At around the 8 minute mark in the second half the lead was cut to 6. Then the starters came in and closed it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Whitesell showed up for the post-game interview at least to take credit for the win - typical. In all seriousness, for all his shortcomings which we've discussed thoroughly, he's a truly likable guy and I'm proud to have him representing us.

80 minutes played in 40 hours time. 80 minutes spent in the driver's seat. This team really isn't far off from the powerhouse we all expected, so I get the frustration at times. If we had a neutral or even positive replacement player in Brewton's place and our main guys cleaned up their own trouble spots (consistency, turnovers, FTs), I think we'd be right there with the top couple teams in the MAC. Hell, if the Bona and Canisius buzzer beaters go our way...oh well. We're 15-8, 9-4 as it stands and rounding into our best form of the year. Let's go.

We are rebuilding those expectations. Of course we are still weary that this is fools gold bc of who we are playing. Hopefully we win out the rest of this month into that rematch against Toledo. Once March comes each game from that point could be against the leagues better teams. Go Bulls! Hopefully it’s the excitement is building on campus and students come out on Saturday afternoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Jones hitting shots will that bring him more minutes and more time at the 2 guard spot as the season closes? 

I think I'd like to see him take all of Brewton's minutes (maybe give a couple more to Jack).  Brewton and Jones on-off numbers are similar, but I think Jones' would be better if more of his minutes came off the ball with less responsibility.  Jones is more efficient/productive almost across the board with the exception of turnover rate, and I'd attribute that mostly to him having more responsibility to create for others.

I had hopes that Brewton could get going and be a microwave scorer off the bench, but that just hasn't come to fruition which is unfortunate.  We're running out of runway for him now and I think we should tighten up the rotation + think about the program's future. Even if it's a push in terms of on-court impact we might as well get experience for Jones who will be here for 3 more years.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

... critique is turnovers ...

Agreed, but... Several have been because they are trying to push the pace, which I like.  Yes, I'd like fewer TO, but not at the expense of slowing down too much.  For example, Mballa's double dribble the other day, and another bad lead out pass today.  They made me cringe, but at least they were being aggressive.