Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Toledo/UB

UBinMD

1 hour ago, clodney said:

I have no confidence in the mental state of this team. We got into a straight up brawl with a local high school team, had one of our players arrested and thrown out of the program, then proceeded to lose to that high school team downtown.

Choke much?

Toledo isn't always going to shoot that well...but if UB wants to beat them, they have to play better than they did tonight.  I liked how they came out after halftime but Toledo was playing so well it didn't matter.  When the other team is shooting this well, it's hard to win.  I like that the team kept at it the whole time.  The officiating didn't decide anything tonight, but it was odd that they didn't call anything for the first 30 minutes then suddenly started calling a lot.

Segu - you could tell he was really ticked and was doing everything he could to fight back.
Jones - I love when any freshman plays with confidence and is willing to take some shots.

Toledo - what can you say, they live up to the hype.  And they run the floor in transition the way we'd like to.

Crowd - lots of credit to True Blue, they showed up tonight.  They kept trying to prod the team on when they needed it.  That was the kind of showing I hope for every game at this point.  Hopefully more of the students in the end zone had fun and want to join in.  

Side note - I love how the band just cuts in and starts playing.  Because those DJ's and the advertising gimmicks would take all the time if they could.  More band and fans, less DJ's.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, enrique14150 said:

Toledo isn't always going to shoot that well...but if UB wants to beat them, they have to play better than they did tonight.  I liked how they came out after halftime but Toledo was playing so well it didn't matter.  When the other team is shooting this well, it's hard to win.  I like that the team kept at it the whole time.  The officiating didn't decide anything tonight, but it was odd that they didn't call anything for the first 30 minutes then suddenly started calling a lot.

Segu - you could tell he was really ticked and was doing everything he could to fight back.
Jones - I love when any freshman plays with confidence and is willing to take some shots.

Crowd - lots of credit to True Blue, they showed up tonight.  They kept trying to prod the team on when they needed it.  That was the kind of showing I hope for every game at this point.  Hopefully more of the students in the end zone had fun and want to join in.  

Side note - I love how the band just cuts in and starts playing.  Because those DJ's and the advertising gimmicks would take all the time if they could.  More band and fans, less DJ's.

Agreed on a lot of this. Ub is capable of beating them, but it surely wasn't in the cards tonight.

Crowd was definitely better. Just is crazy that ub goes like 7 weeks with no students in the middle of the season.

The band = + ; DJ = -

50 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Agreed on a lot of this. Ub is capable of beating them, but it surely wasn't in the cards tonight.

Crowd was definitely better. Just is crazy that ub goes like 7 weeks with no students in the middle of the season.

The band = + ; DJ = -

I've said it before, the winter break is so long (break + that mini semester) that they seriously need to find a way to engage the commuter students who are here during that.  It's not a "it would be nice to" thing, it's a "it's imperative we do this" thing.  The program can't afford to go 1/3 of the season without any 'college basketball' atmosphere.

Edited by enrique14150

12 hours ago, clodney said:

More bulletin board material for Whitesell:

- Despite winning 9 in a row, the coaches in the Midmajor Top 25 poll (which includes Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk) didn't think you were worthy of being in the top-25 midmajors in the country. You're currently "receiving votes" behind teams like Wagner (KP #141) and Bryant (KP #196)... 

- Kent State, who you beat by double digits and currently outrank by 20 spots in Kenpom, is actually #11 in that same midmajor poll.

- YOU have the best win in the entire conference this year (by a mile!) over North Texas and still nobody thinks you can compete with teams like Toledo, Ohio & Kent. You aren't mentioned as a possible MAC champ anywhere.

Guess they were right.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Erie County said:

If no one leaves, that team has ranked potential 

With no seniors this should be a scary team next year. After watching the game and not thinking they are as good as they showed I looked into their stats. They had quite a few MAC games where they shot over 50%. They shot 48% from the field and about 38% from 3’s for the year so they are as good as they looked. They do remind me of our great teams where they keep coming at you in waves and keep hammering away. Even though we have had success we are no where like them. Again if we face them again I can’t see them shooting like close to 60% for a large portion of the game and not sure we have the quickness and defensive intensity to stop them. Still looking forward to Cleveland to see if we can overcome some of our weaknesses. Go Bulls!!!!

s.

Yesterday 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Basketball Jones Offline 
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Toledo vs. Buffalo - 7:00 - ESPN+ 
Great 40-minute effort against a team that has a lot of individual talent but does not play together as “one” like The Rockets do! Toledo used the same formula tonight that has led them to the brink of another regular season Championship with excellent balance on offense with 4 Starters in Double Figures and a “connected” help style defense which separates this Rocket team from past TK squads. Some key statistics that were difference makers for Toledo tonight were 17 assists and only 7 turnovers, 9-17 from the three-point line, Buffalo only getting to the Foul line 6 times, and only outrebounding the smaller Rockets by 1. Unlike last season, this team seems to be hitting on all cylinders going into the regular finale and into the MAC Tournament. If we can somehow “bottle” how we are playing right now and open it back up next week in Cleveland, we have a great shot at exercising our 41-year demons! But we’ll worry about that next week. First things first. Let us capture our 2nd consecutive MAC Regular Season Title Friday night and then cut down the nets as a “dress rehearsal “to the real deal that will happen on March 12th in Cleveland at around 9:30pm!

4 minutes ago, Chet said:
s.

Yesterday 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Basketball Jones Offline 
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Toledo vs. Buffalo - 7:00 - ESPN+ 
Great 40-minute effort against a team that has a lot of individual talent but does not play together as “one” like The Rockets do! Toledo used the same formula tonight that has led them to the brink of another regular season Championship with excellent balance on offense with 4 Starters in Double Figures and a “connected” help style defense which separates this Rocket team from past TK squads. Some key statistics that were difference makers for Toledo tonight were 17 assists and only 7 turnovers, 9-17 from the three-point line, Buffalo only getting to the Foul line 6 times, and only outrebounding the smaller Rockets by 1. Unlike last season, this team seems to be hitting on all cylinders going into the regular finale and into the MAC Tournament. If we can somehow “bottle” how we are playing right now and open it back up next week in Cleveland, we have a great shot at exercising our 41-year demons! But we’ll worry about that next week. First things first. Let us capture our 2nd consecutive MAC Regular Season Title Friday night and then cut down the nets as a “dress rehearsal “to the real deal that will happen on March 12th in Cleveland at around 9:30pm!

"....has a lot of individual talent but does not play together......" 

This poster from Toledo's fan board says it accurately IMO.

Edited by Chet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeseph said:

This is the same as saying poorly coached. How dare they!

What that Toledo board poster mentions is hard to do.  

You have to have the right collection of players to make it work OR the right coach to get them to play as a unit where the sum is greater than the individual parts.  

And even then it may not work some or most of the time.

The game was decided in the first 8 minutes (actually roughly 3 minute stretch from 5 to 8 minutes in).  A combination of turnovers, only ok shooting, not getting as many offensive rebounds, and poor transition defense lead to Toledo building the lead to 14 points by the 8th minute.  From that point on we pretty much matched baskets with them.   I don't want to make excuses, but I wonder if having played so many games recently contributed to us being slow getting back on defense.  In any case, if we want a shot at beating Toledo the team will need to find a way to prevent this from occurring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

The game was decided in the first 8 minutes (actually roughly 3 minute stretch from 5 to 8 minutes in).  A combination of turnovers, only ok shooting, not getting as many offensive rebounds, and poor transition defense lead to Toledo building the lead to 14 points by the 8th minute.  From that point on we pretty much matched baskets with them.   I don't want to make excuses, but I wonder if having played so many games recently contributed to us being slow getting back on defense.  In any case, if we want a shot at beating Toledo the team will need to find a way to prevent this from occurring.

A couple things here: if you notice the last few games we had gotten off to slow starts and trailed in games. WMU comes to mind. Fatigue from a condensed could be a reason. After today the rest for prep and recovery will do wonders. Second thing is habit. We have a habit of going into stretches where these issues you stated occur for long periods of time. If we cut the duration of them down or find ways to weather them better, we can make noise. Final point: I’ve stated this before, if we see Toledo again we cannot foul them. Check the FT stats in two games against them. They are mind boggling. 

• Like 1