Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls are going....KNOXVILLE! #4Tenn/#13Buffalo

32 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Every time UB plays anywhere with announcers not familiar with UB, what do they talk about? Blue Collar, Hard Hats and coaches in mechanics shirts with their name on it. That’s branding my friends.

35 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

What they are losing sight of that the mens tournament does very well is play up the underdog and the backstories, the top tier mid major players to see how their fair (pun intended) against Goliath. That captures the imagination of young fans, that could be them someday even if they aren’t on the super elite 8th grade AAU club. It provides that hope and spark, which is what pure athletics is supposed to be about. They need someone to start thinking that way and capture a bigger audience. 

You know when Akron plays they will mention Enrique Freeman story.

4 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

If Fair drops 30 on the Vols (or Woolley, for that matter), that should get someone’s attention. 🤘🤘

That would be a great memory like when we took down Arizona and beat them convincingly. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John said:

Do you see ESPN just posted their top 25 players for the tournament and of course Fair was not in the top 25. Fair 4th in the nation in scoring and not even a mention. Just another indication all their attention is on the top teams and don’t give mid majors or lower conferences any press. Sad that it is all about the money they can generate. Go Bulls!!

Wait till she transfers to Syracuse.

4 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Wait till she transfers to Syracuse.

There are two other coaches that might be in the running for Syracuse job and both are now assistant coaches at ACC schools now. Hope against hope that Coach Jack will stay here. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

As the gentleman in front of me Saturday said, "there's likely going to be other big name schools looking at her as well."

Do agree. I know there are other cool’s looking for coaches. Does it come down to the fit being right or big big bucks!!!

6 hours ago, John said:

Do agree. I know there are other cool’s looking for coaches. Does it come down to the fit being right or big big bucks!!!

10 years is a good run and she showed she can do it over a long period and restock without the hills and valleys most mid-major programs endure (CMU comes to mind). Won’t be mad if she leaves, but very sad. She’s been great for our school 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

10 years is a good run and she showed she can do it over a long period and restock without the hills and valleys most mid-major programs endure (CMU comes to mind). Won’t be mad if she leaves, but very sad. She’s been great for our school 

Of course the question is who would then be the next coach. What direction does the AD go in. And of course…what players portal out.

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Of course the question is who would then be the next coach. What direction does the AD go in. And of course…what players portal out.

Question for me is Sharkey ready? Can she step in and keep things moving in the right direction? Would Stephanie Reid come back as an assistant to keep Wooley and the Australian pipeline open? Has that been the plan? Would she be viewed as unfavorably as Whitsell as a poor hire from within? Is there a splashy name out there looking for redemption like FLJ?

Lots of questions, but let’s enjoy Saturday and hopefully beyond first. Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I too will be sad if she leaves.  I'll be mad if she decimates the team.  

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I too will be sad if she leaves.  I'll be mad if she decimates the team.  

FLJ has had a special relationship with her players that translated to success on the floor and appealed to the public, as evidenced by a pretty steady growth in fans during her tenure at UB. I hate to see that go. Coach would be a fool to not try to take Fair and maybe Woolley with her if she goes to SU or any other program. As for her replacement, I don’t have a deep well of faith in our AD, and I don’t think UB will pay the kind of money it would take to hire a coach that could maintain the team at the current level of success. Just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, 1975 said:

FLJ has had a special relationship with her players that translated to success on the floor and appealed to the public, as evidenced by a pretty steady growth in fans during her tenure at UB. I hate to see that go. Coach would be a fool to not try to take Fair and maybe Woolley with her if she goes to SU or any other program. As for her replacement, I don’t have a deep well of faith in our AD, and I don’t think UB will pay the kind of money it would take to hire a coach that could maintain the team at the current level of success. Just my 2 cents.

That's what I'm afraid of. Emptying our roster and sending the program back to the stone age.

If there was one sport UB could become a national power in it's women's basketball. We have a good start already. Imagine if somehow some wealthy patron made it worth it for FLJ to stay and turn Buffalo into the next UCONN or U of SC?

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Emptying our roster and sending the program back to the stone age.

If there was one sport UB could become a national power in it's women's basketball. We have a good start already. Imagine if somehow some wealthy patron made it worth it for FLJ to stay and turn Buffalo into the next UCONN or U of SC?

Love the ambition but let’s not go down this road again. Remember the Gonzaga of the east with the men? Until the university is willing to spend millions to keep coaches, we will never reach that level. Sad fact. However we can be that school that launches coaches to higher ground. IE Nate Oats. Bring in young up and comer coaches who win a mac title or two in their stint here then rinse/repeat. It’s what we failed to do with the men. Let’s not repeat that mistake with the women. Gotta stay progressive. 

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Love the ambition but let’s not go down this road again. Remember the Gonzaga of the east with the men? Until the university is willing to spend millions to keep coaches, we will never reach that level. Sad fact. However we can be that school that launches coaches to higher ground. IE Nate Oats. Bring in young up and comer coaches who win a mac title or two in their stint here then rinse/repeat. It’s what we failed to do with the men. Let’s not repeat that mistake with the women. Gotta stay progressive. 

The story of how long coaches stay at colleges seems like it has changed over I am not sure how many years. The days of how long coaches stay now are determined not only on how their record is but on how much money they aspire to make. I am sure their are cases all over the country where coaches are content and happy at one college is spite of record or income. Good example is Sue Guevara at CMU who was there for 12 years before retiring and I know she could of left many times due to her success at CMU. In today’s culture of coach firings and leaving for greener pastures we have to live in the moment and enjoy the journey and as I have said before remember all the great times with the teams we are supporting. As I told many of the coaches and players at the March madness seeding party on Sunday “Thanks for the memories that will last a lifetime.” Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

We are currently a 9.5 point underdog to Tennessee. That's actually not bad, I think we have a real shot at this one.

Going to be a tough one for sure, but just looking at some of the Vols’ stats, I agree that we have a shot. Overall they shoot 41.6% (30% from 3) and only 64% from the line, along with 17+ TOs/game. Granted, that’s against very tough competition. Very strong on the boards with 47.9 rpg.  Their leading rebounder is 6’6” and averages 3.7 bpg, but their leading scorer has been out a few weeks and sounds like she may not play in the dance depending how far they go. Here’s hoping UB puts an early end to their season. Go Bulls!! 🤘

5 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Their leading rebounder is 6’6” and averages 3.7 bpg, but their leading scorer has been out a few weeks and sounds like she may not play in the dance depending how far they go.

Actually, Tennessee’s leading scorer who’s missed the last 8 games also leads the team in rebounds and assists per game.  If the Bulls can get the Vols’ 6’6” center into foul trouble and Fair and Woolley come out firing, then I like our chances.