Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

I think with intros, especially at bigger schools, it’s become all theatrical. In Alabama’s case the lights were off, there was l-e-d-s and smoke. A lot going on. Easy for fans to not care, or lose sight of what’s going on or not even be in their seats. It’s more for the students. I love when the opposing team is introduced and the student sections chants “who” after a player is announced. Or they bring newspapers and pretend to read the paper as players are being intro’d. Or flat out turn their backs. Fun stuff. But def a pat down was tone def. And shouldn’t be done ever. Shannon Sharpe made some great points regarding it

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Oats and Bama are locked in a good one vs Missouri right now on ESPN trying to pull away. Alabama's entire team and bench have so much emotion and intensity.

It's been a good game to watch

That's what the "blue collar points" is really about

You want the bench and teammates rooting and congratulating each other on routine or fundamental plays that lead to wins

If your bench is cheering a good defensive possession or a dive at a loose ball as much as they do a dunk or 3 pointer, you will be tough to play

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oats was just thrown under the bus by Nick Saban.  One of the Alabama football players was arrested on drug and weapon charges.  Here is Saban's quote:

: "Everybody's got an opportunity to make choices and decisions. There's no such thing as the wrong place at the wrong time. It is what it is, but there is cause and effect when you make choices and decisions that put you in bad situations."

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-crimson-tide/news/police-report-reveals-tony-mitchell-attempted-evade-officers-while-traveling-141-mph-prior-arrest/

10 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Oats was just thrown under the bus by Nick Saban.  One of the Alabama football players was arrested on drug and weapon charges.  Here is Saban's quote:

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-crimson-tide/news/police-report-reveals-tony-mitchell-attempted-evade-officers-while-traveling-141-mph-prior-arrest/

Tony Mitchell is listed as 2nd string STAR on the 2023 Alabama Depth Chart, so not an integral player. Easy to toss him aside, plenty of other guys to fill that spot. Saban gets to be the Alabama hero, distance himself from Basketball and show he's tough on crime. You can't script this stuff!

Edited by UBinMD

15 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Tony Mitchell is listed as 2nd string STAR on the 2023 Alabama Depth Chart, so not an integral player. Easy to toss him aside, plenty of other guys to fill that spot. Saban gets to be the Alabama hero, distance himself from Basketball and show he's tough on crime. You can't script this stuff!

The manufactured outrage around this story has grown powerful enough that Nick Saban is now an angel in comparison to Oats' evil. We can't script this stuff, but we sure can summon it from the depths via viral sanctimony.

Since he left UB, I've always felt that Nate was destined to coach in the NBA. This episode may hasten that move to years instead of decades away, should he decide to escape hypocritical, over-moralizing landscape of modern college athletics. 

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

The manufactured outrage around this story has grown powerful enough that Nick Saban is now an angel in comparison to Oats' evil. We can't script this stuff, but we sure can summon it from the depths via viral sanctimony.

Since he left UB, I've always felt that Nate was destined to coach in the NBA. This episode may hasten that move to years instead of decades away, should he decide to escape hypocritical, over-moralizing landscape of modern college athletics. 

When Saban looks like the good guy, you may want to reconsider your choices. The NBA would probably be a good home for his at some point. He may have to dial back the fire a bit, can't do that for 82 games and hope the players respond, he will need to be more surgical with that. Will need to drop the blue collar thing too, no NBA players will buy into that. The goal in the NBA is to keep an opponent under 110 😂

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere here. Worth a read for anyone who has followed this story closely and cares to stay informed on the facts of the matter. 

https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa/new-evidence-provides-compelling-account-bama-hoops-murder-case

Is the actually video available anywhere or is it just a recap from the local newspaper?

On 3/21/2023 at 8:38 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Saban tries to gently roll the bus backwards. https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2023/03/nick-saban-on-wrong-place-wrong-time-comment-that-was-strictly-about-our-program.html?utm_campaign=alabamacrimsontide_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Minus a few block/charge calls throughout the tournament, I love how physical it’s been. Grown man basketball. 

To each their own, but I can't stand it. I'd like to see more emphasis on skill. There's hands on every driver, pushes on most rebounds. A recommitment to freedom of movement needs to be addressed by the rules committee. Can't wait for the covid old guys to disappear. 

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

To each their own, but I can't stand it. I'd like to see more emphasis on skill. There's hands on every driver, pushes on most rebounds. A recommitment to freedom of movement needs to be addressed by the rules committee. Can't wait for the covid old guys to disappear. 

I grew up watching old school Big East. I loved the physical play but it was a detriment in the NCAA tournament. When they played the soft ACC teams you just had to brush those guys and it was a foul. The new players are such good shooters and quick, if there wasn’t some physicality it would be the NBA, which is why I don’t watch the NBA.

8 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I don’t disagree about the freedom of movement. That’s why I’ve had my issues with the block/charge calls. But overall I think the play has been good. Physical but not limiting.

6 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I’m just happy Alabama lost. Will be interesting to see how Hodgens and Oats do without each other, it’s been at least 8 years right? They each need to replace the other’s skill set. Should be an interesting reload for each of them. 

Curious as to why? The more success he has, the more our brand benefits. Plus I like the guy and find his philosophy to be sharp and his personality/story engaging/inspiring.

Oats will be able to find another hustler bagman.  Hodgson will likely not find another analytics whiz master motivator. 

• Like 1