Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

Oat's latest statement, from al.com:

“This entire time I’ve tried to be thoughtful in my words relative to this tragic incident, and my statements came across poorly. We were informed by law enforcement of other student-athletes being in the vicinity, and law enforcement has repeatedly told us that no other student-athletes were suspects — they were witnesses only. Our understanding is that they have all been fully truthful and cooperative. In no way did I intend to downplay the seriousness of this situation or the tragedy of that night. My prayers continue to go out to Jamea Harris’s family.”

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2023/02/nate-oats-i-made-unfortunate-remarks-about-brandon-millers-involvement-in-darius-miles-case.html

Edited by BrooklynBull

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

My take on this statement

he just threw his players under the bus, and without specifically saying didn't know the extent to which his players were in the vicinity of the crime 

(At the moment only read your quote)

Edited by Tee4three

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Nate, Miller and Alabama with a big F U win tonight lol. 

Took care of a 3-12 conference team in OT, as a one man band, one other player had 10. I guess he’s good at compartmentalizing games and life. He should fit right in to the NBA. Lebron will lobby for him to come to LAL

Seems like Miller was in the "wrong place, wrong time" because he decided to make a bad decision and place himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm surprised Oats and Miller aren't on some type of administrative leave while this awful mess is being sorted out.  Seems like that should be the minimum consequences at the moment. 

The attorneys I'm sure are investigating text messages, phone calls, etc.. and they will see what the player and coach knew and talked about well before it came out. 

• Like 2

And one of the ESPN announcers last night said that there was a lot of misinformation going around and people should go to a YouTube video of the Alabama AD for all the facts.

They also seem to give a very brief (30 second at most) summary with a supposed timeline graphic of what happened before moving on.  I only watched the second half so maybe I missed something.

How sad!!

Edited by bullsbball

55 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Being "in the wrong place, at the wrong time" is one thing.  Taking a gun to the "wrong place" is another.  He's not being charged because "he didn't know the gun that was requested was going to be used in committing a crime."  I wonder what he thought it was requested for. 

He brought a gun to somebody who said they needed it because someone mouthed off at them at a bar. In a state like Alabama that could easily be seen as bringing somebody their gun for self protection. I don't agree with it but this is what super lax gun laws get you. The DA even said they couldn't charge him with anything given Alabama laws.

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

And one of the ESPN announcers last night said that there was a lot of misinformation going around and people should go to a YouTube video of the Alabama AD for all the facts.

They also seem to give a very brief (30 second at most) summary with a supposed timeline graphic of what happened before moving on.  I only watched the second half so maybe I missed something.

How sad!!

Nothing against the Alabama AD, but I seriously doubt they are providing an unbiased view of the events that have happened. Also, Alabama athletics have made some very suspect decisions related to the handling of athletes (especially those that can benefit the teams greatly) that have been involved in or close to criminal activity. Time will tell, but I don't expect any suspensions for anyone on this. Even Dicky V denounced Oates. Not great, but at $4 million per year, I guess it's part of the deal.

5 hours ago, zigo230 said:

I'm surprised Oats and Miller aren't on some type of administrative leave while this awful mess is being sorted out.  Seems like that should be the minimum consequences at the moment. 

I'd have expected, for the reasons already mentioned, that Miller would have been sidelined for a time as his role was fleshed out.   But someone made the decision that Alabama's season and Miller's contribution to the team were so valuable that they were willing to take the chance that this would blow over.

What didn't help AT ALL was Oats' comments, especially the quotable "wrong spot at the wrong time".   I think that has "turned the tide" (yes....I went there) on this and it has ignited. 

If this player wasn't that valuable to the team (or Alabama was 13-12), he would have already been on leave.

The problem they have now is that it is a bit of a mess, since the coach has been dragged in to the situation (through his own efforts), the team is the #1 seed in Bracketology and the player is high profile (scored 41 last night).

From a purely PR standpoint, I think they will likely need to cut their losses here.  I would suspect in the next day or two that Oats is put on administrative leave for a few games and Miller is put on the sidelines for a period of time while Alabama does "its own formal inquiry".

Alabama's formal inquiry will be about a week, at which time Miller will be reinstated...ready for the SEC championship (and, if not, certainly for the inevitable 1 - 16 matchup in the NCAA tournament).

The longer Alabama waits to do something here, the worse it will get for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Oats again admits he has no control of the team. He doesn’t watch introductions so he can’t be to blame. Although he has done this in other games, Miles obviously feels he’s in the clear and above suspicion so he doesn’t need to change his actions. I guess when you take the paycheck, you put up with whatever it takes to stay on top and fattening the bankroll. Oats went from golden boy to tone deaf boob is a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Oats again admits he has no control of the team. He doesn’t watch introductions so he can’t be to blame. Although he has done this in other games, Miles obviously feels he’s in the clear and above suspicion so he doesn’t need to change his actions. I guess when you take the paycheck, you put up with whatever it takes to stay on top and fattening the bankroll. Oats went from golden boy to tone deaf boob is a couple of weeks.

Just a terrible situation and Oats promising career and any good should be lost. What the hell was the coaching staff doing not making sure the players knew how they should handle themselves. Oats continued to put his foot in his mouth talking about how mentally tough Miller is. He made a terrible mistake that cost a woman her life and the entire Alabama administration should be ashamed of themselves. Unbelievable how power and greed influence your decisions. All the words Oats continues to say mean nothing when you don’t walk your talk. Oats will never live this down in the eyes of many people but is sure he will be able to justify this in his small group of people. Amazing what power and money do to people who lose alll sense of intelligence, common sense and decency. 

26 minutes ago, John said:

Just a terrible situation and Oats promising career and any good should be lost. What the hell was the coaching staff doing not making sure the players knew how they should handle themselves. Oats continued to put his foot in his mouth talking about how mentally tough Miller is. He made a terrible mistake that cost a woman her life and the entire Alabama administration should be ashamed of themselves. Unbelievable how power and greed influence your decisions. All the words Oats continues to say mean nothing when you don’t walk your talk. Oats will never live this down in the eyes of many people but is sure he will be able to justify this in his small group of people. Amazing what power and money do to people who lose alll sense of intelligence, common sense and decency. 

Amen 

52 minutes ago, John said:

Agree.  Didn’t we always think Oats was kinda a used car salesman with his words and promises?

13 hours ago, rma said:

UB women have done this same thing during intros. I'm not as close to the bench during men's games but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it too.

Wow!! Did not notice. Will pay more attention on Wednesday. In this day and age I do not think it is appropriate at any venue. Our family have lost so much of our passion and enthusiasm for sports as it has become for all a business and a money grab for all concerned that it is hard to be objective about how life is and will be in the future. As we were raised our parents stressed with us two main tenants were responsibility and accountability. Both are solely lacking today in both life and sports. 

23 minutes ago, John said:

Wow!! Did not notice. Will pay more attention on Wednesday. In this day and age I do not think it is appropriate at any venue. Our family have lost so much of our passion and enthusiasm for sports as it has become for all a business and a money grab for all concerned that it is hard to be objective about how life is and will be in the future. As we were raised our parents stressed with us two main tenants were responsibility and accountability. Both are solely lacking today in both life and sports. 

Just like always happens, everyone is on social media, everyone wants to be "seen", everyone wants to be "original". Unfortunately, they all just look silly (imo) because everyone trying to be original are really just mimicking others and look like the sheep they say they don't want to be. Frisking or pat downs as a celebration or whatever it is seems an odd choice to me, but I'm old so I don't understand a lot of things.

14 hours ago, rma said:

UB women have done this same thing during intros. I'm not as close to the bench during men's games but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it too.

I have seen this done many times over the years (mostly UB Men). Nothing unusual.

However, in the Alabama case, not appropriate.

• Like 3