Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sarcasm? Bc your point is valid. Obviously lightning won’t strike twice but looking for the next young up and comer should have been the goal. I rather have a guy who is hungry to get the next job than one who is happy where he is. In theory the hungry guy will do anything to win bc winning gets him to the next job. Whereas what we have is just a guy happy to be coaching and this is likely his last head coaching gig.

Isn’t that exactly what we did with Mo? And then everyone complains bc he’s learning on the job. 

• Like 1

Lol we always complain. Even when we win lol. But hey back in another bowl game…so really the football program hasn’t fallen off. With room to grow. So solid job being done. Especially navigating the portal. Hopefully next year we take another step forward and get to the Mac title game. Winning the conference/bigger bowl is the main goal and the floor is getting to a bowl game.

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Lol we always complain. Even when we win lol. But hey back in another bowl game…so really the football program hasn’t fallen off. With room to grow. So solid job being done. Especially navigating the portal. Hopefully next year we take another step forward and get to the Mac title game. Winning the conference/bigger bowl is the main goal and the floor is getting to a bowl game.

It's really hard to feel good about this bowl and season when we were in contention for the MACC and flubbed it away.

Just now, promotherobot said:

It's really hard to feel good about this bowl and season when we were in contention for the MACC and flubbed it away.

I am hoping that the players (and coaches) who stayed would like to win on their last game. I would like to see a good game, but honestly, I have no idea what to expect.

The expectations for football are completely unreasonable. We have arguably the worst stadium in FBS, no recruiting grounds, no history, we're in the worst state system (SUNY) for funding, and we're up against a rabid Bills fanbase in the second smallest NFL TV market in the country.

Basketball, on the other hand, has the ability to compete. There's a proud history of college basketball in WNY, solid recruiting grounds, our arena is decent, and we were building a strong brand thanks to Oats. We're still up against SUNY's funding shit-show but football is consuming most of those resources.

Right now, it's far more upsetting for me to see the basketball team getting blown out by mediocre competition in the 4th year of a ho-hum head coach than it is to see a football coach in his first full year go 6-6 and end up in a bowl game, even if the potential was there to do much more. 

Edited by clodney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

You mean like Alumni Arena?

Maybe I should have said basketball only arena (well you can still use it for wrestling and volleyball). We’ve given alumni some cosmetic surgery over the years but we should have a better facility. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Maybe I should have said basketball only arena (well you can still use it for wrestling and volleyball). We’ve given alumni some cosmetic surgery over the years but we should have a better facility. 

Alnutt has repeated mentioned the plan is to do just that after the Wellness Center is built on campus so intramurals/student workout area and such can move out of Alumni first. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, clodney said:

The expectations for football are completely unreasonable. We have arguably the worst stadium in FBS, no recruiting grounds, no history, we're in the worst state system (SUNY) for funding, and we're up against a rabid Bills fanbase in the second smallest NFL TV market in the country.

Basketball, on the other hand, has the ability to compete. There's a proud history of college basketball in WNY, solid recruiting grounds, our arena is decent, and we were building a strong brand thanks to Oats. We're still up against SUNY's funding shit-show but football is consuming most of those resources.

Right now, it's far more upsetting for me to see the basketball team getting blown out by mediocre competition in the 4th year of a ho-hum head coach than it is to see a football coach in his first full year go 6-6 and end up in a bowl game, even if the potential was there to do much more. 

UB Bulls had 2,009 fans at Alumni Arena against a good Toledo Rockets team on a Friday. UB Bulls was the only home team in town. The problem with just investing in UB Bulls basketball is it gets lost against three other Western New York basketball teams and the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits and Buffalo Beauts. Again the other three schools have more tradition than UB. The Bonnies scream old Buffalo as a 55 year old man I like old Buffalo. Again that is a problem I was a UB Bulls football and basketball season ticket holder for 30 years until my health no longer allows me to attend games anymore of any sport anymore. I also still supported the other three basketball programs. Even if Nate Oats stayed and the Bulls were winning the MAC yearly. UB Bulls basketball is up against the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits.

The Buffalo Bandits are dominate here we are practically in Canada. Our culture is mixed, eastern, midwestern, Canadian and Buffalonian. We are a unique market the Bonnies basketball look at that basketball presentation look at it? The Bonnies retired numbers the rural old Buffalo life the on the farm there radio station is the Big Pig with a Pig on the radio app like the way our Buffalo suburbs used to be farm land when I was a kid going to the dairy for a ice cream after Sunday supper. Don’t underestimate that appeal the Bonnies basketball are old Buffalo and someone like myself is very attracted to that. I spent a lot of money supporting UB athletics but I support the other three teams also. I have a religious experience when I put on a Bonnies jersey again it is the old Buffalo like we do Dingus Day I am not even Polish and I am really into it like Christmas. I am Irish so St Patty’s Day is huge with the parade and celebrations all of this old traditional Buffalo. UB pushing state especially New York City interferes with old Buffalo way of life we aren’t changing. Like New York Bulls Buffalo isn’t giving up tradition we are a unique market of old Buffalo passed down from generation to generation. We aren’t big city New York we are more what I can Buffalo Billy. I am not talking Bills Billy Buffalo mascot. Buffalo has a lot country hillbilly in Western New York rural that is why Country music is so big in Western New York. That is why UB athletics is doing the right thing staying the course in football promoting Buffalo Western New York over New York State New York City centric. That is UB Bulls ticket Buffalo Bulls football because none of the three private Catholic schools offer that. The football plays into our Buffalo Billy. The key is winning which UB football is finally doing. The Buffalo Bills are dominated as you say yes but the NFL is going to price a lot of those Bills fans attending Bills games now in 2026 out of season tickets when the new Bills stadium opens. UB football needs to upgrade UB Stadium to get those Bills fans to go to UB Bulls football games in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

Well deserved, happy for him. He gave this school a great run of teams in his time here. As was said in the Shawshank Redemption "some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright.". We were lucky to have had him here. What an amazing rise though. From teacher/HS coach, to assistant at a middle of the road mid-major, to head coach at the same mid-major (bringing the team up to top of the line mid-major), to a top-end league middling program and now getting that team to becoming one of the blue bloods. All in like a dozen years. Job well done!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Well deserved, happy for him. He gave this school a great run of teams in his time here. As was said in the Shawshank Redemption "some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright.". We were lucky to have had him here. What an amazing rise though. From teacher/HS coach, to assistant at a middle of the road mid-major, to head coach at the same mid-major (bringing the team up to top of the line mid-major), to a top-end league middling program and now getting that team to becoming one of the blue bloods. All in like a dozen years. Job well done!

I wonder does this mean raises for the assistant coaches as well?? Agree he has a a memorable rise and gave us some great and exciting years that will last a lifetime. I won the basketball at the MAC championship signed by Nate Oats and Coach Jack. Wonder what it could be worth someday?? I recently seen the Tom Brady rookie card with a $775.00 price and a signed Josh Allen jersey for $550.00 price!! One can only wonder and dream!! Go Bulls!!

• Like 1