Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

56 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

claiming someone is ageist because they don't think someone displays enough energy?  ha ha  Talk about a strawman

And that’s not even an accurate stereotype. Felisha Legette-Jack had a ton of energy on the sidelines and is quite a bit older than GH3. One year her energy, disagreement with the referees, or combination of both got her called for a rare technical foul. 

• Like 1

Actually most of you posters are new compared to me, 2004

JW is almost 20 years older than BH or NO. Talk to me in 5 or 10 years. We all slow down with age. Energy? I don’t find bill self and his bench coaches as energy coaches. The bench has a few towel wavers at the end.

Edited by TheCommish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

JW is almost 20 years older than BH or NO. Talk to me in 5 or 10 years. We all slow down with age. Energy? I don’t find bill self and his bench coaches as energy coaches. The bench has a few towel wavers at the end.

I feel like UB fans have a skewed perception of what type of energy a coach should have. Nate Oats and Bobby Hurley (and his brother) are some of the most caustic coaches in all of college basketball. Run down the list of top teams this year and tell me how many others behave like them on the sidelines (not Kelvin Sampson, not Matt Painter, not Rick Barnes, not Scott Drew, and on and on). I think energy is just an easy thing for average fans to critique because it is obvious to everyone. I don't think it's a requisite attribute of a good coach

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rma said:

And that’s not even an accurate stereotype. Felisha Legette-Jack had a ton of energy on the sidelines and is quite a bit older than GH3. One year her energy, disagreement with the referees, or combination of both got her called for a rare technical foul. 

Imagine the energy she would have shown if she was 20 years old and in that situation! ha ha

Yes, I agree with you.  Not everyone slows down and has a more mellow demeanor with age.  There are some pretty intense 70 year olds I know still running companies and demanding the VPs try to keep up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

I feel like UB fans have a skewed perception of what type of energy a coach should have. Nate Oats and Bobby Hurley (and his brother) are some of the most caustic coaches in all of college basketball. Run down the list of top teams this year and tell me how many others behave like them on the sidelines (not Kelvin Sampson, not Matt Painter, not Rick Barnes, not Scott Drew, and on and on). I think energy is just an easy thing for average fans to critique because it is obvious to everyone. I don't think it's a requisite attribute of a good coach

Bobby Hurley is also 4 games under .500 in the pac12. Great Mac coach but an below average p4/p5 coach

16 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Bobby Hurley is also 4 games under .500 in the pac12. Great Mac coach but an below average p4/p5 coach

Do agree. I know we have had our opinions and perspectives over the years about coaches and now the basketball culture of today. Coaches all over the country have different coaching philosophies and of course personalities. The key is to have a winning culture and a competitiveness that will breed more success and of course be able to recruit the best players. Also a coach has to have some luck that the players improve and want to stay in the program. Again it is all subjective and we all can have our different opinions and there is no right or wrong answer. The beauty of college sports has been diminished for some of us because of so many factors. All of us in some form have to try and find our enjoyment in sports in our own way. Our family will always continue to find our joy in life.

• Like 1

The team’s offensive woes are well on display, but the lack of intensity on D and lack of energy on the bench are a tough pill to swallow. That coupled with the coach that shows little emotion of the sideline while the team consistently gets blown out paints a really bad picture. 

2 hours ago, Chet said:

The team’s offensive woes are well on display, but the lack of intensity on D and lack of energy on the bench are a tough pill to swallow. That coupled with the coach that shows little emotion of the sideline while the team consistently gets blown out paints a really bad picture. 

Unfortunately that is on full display for all to see. 

6 hours ago, Chet said:

Last game, the starters were: I. Adams · S. Chatman · S. Fulcher · R. Sabol · J. Smith

The starters for most of the season: I. Adams · A. Boldin Jr. · S. Chatman · R. Sabol · J. Smith

Boldin doesn't play, did he travel? Lloyd McVeigh, Zaakir Williamson , Bryson Wilson  played the remaining minutes. That leaves James Graham, Kanye Jones, Diovion Famakinde not playing? All three have to wave the towel? Cage wasn't exactly towel waver or bench clapping when he played, why would he change?

We don't have a lot of guys. What is energy? Define that? Bench clapping? raising the roof on a 3 pointer? We need the bench to act like monmouth? 

Edited by TheCommish

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

Last game, the starters were: I. Adams · S. Chatman · S. Fulcher · R. Sabol · J. Smith

The starters for most of the season: I. Adams · A. Boldin Jr. · S. Chatman · R. Sabol · J. Smith

Boldin doesn't play, did he travel? Lloyd McVeigh, Zaakir Williamson , Bryson Wilson  played the remaining minutes. That leaves James Graham, Kanye Jones, Diovion Famakinde not playing? All three have to wave the towel? Cage wasn't exactly towel waver or bench clapping when he played, why would he change?

We don't have a lot of guys. What is energy? Define that? Bench clapping? raising the roof on a 3 pointer? We need the bench to act like monmouth? 

I have watched for facial expressions, frustration, exhilaration, body language, and determination. Pretty simple expressions of emotion IMO….I’m not talking about yelling and screaming or some outlandish display. 

13 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Hmm. This was yesterday...

All of the coaches you listed are fairly firey, so we may just disagree on the definition of the characteristic. Sure they're not always going wild, but they blow gaskets on refs and players multiple times per season. Dan Hurley, Bruce Pearl, Oats, Izzo, K, the list goes on and on.

Whitesell's teams and benches were very quiet and unanimated. Sure he'd bark some instructions and flap his arms a few times, but his teams had terrible chatter on D and were marred by low energy. The crowds were also dead. Halcovage's are even more so. Nothing to do with age, obviously.

It's not a requisite for a good coach, but unless you're a master tactician, you'd better find a way to instill passion in your guys. We've been flat for five years now. 

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Hmm. This was yesterday...

All of the coaches you listed are fairly firey, so we may just disagree on the definition of the characteristic. Sure they're not always going wild, but they blow gaskets on refs and players multiple times per season. Dan Hurley, Bruce Pearl, Oats, Izzo, K, the list goes on and on.

Whitesell's teams and benches were very quiet and unanimated. Sure he'd bark some instructions and flap his arms a few times, but his teams had terrible chatter on D and were marred by low energy. The crowds were also dead. Halcovage's are even more so. Nothing to do with age, obviously.

It's not a requisite for a good coach, but unless you're a master tactician, you'd better find a way to instill passion in your guys. We've been flat for five years now. 

Definitely needed JW’s bench to yell “defense” and wave that towel! It’s all about the jimmy’s and joes. I do agree, guys need to be engaged but that could mean lots of things. Watch a team huddle! Right about now, we could use JW over this staff.

hurleys energy hasn’t helped him at Arizona st. Once he gets fired, we should go after him. 

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Definitely needed JW’s bench to yell “defense” and wave that towel! It’s all about the jimmy’s and joes. I do agree, guys need to be engaged but that could mean lots of things. Watch a team huddle! Right about now, we could use JW over this staff.

hurleys energy hasn’t helped him at Arizona st. Once he gets fired, we should go after him. 

Definitely needed his defense on the court to communicate and play with connected intensity. And yeah some of that comes from the bench.

I'm Mr. Jimmy's and Joe's, believe me. I think the most important part of coaching is recruiting good players and developing their talents in practice.

But maximizing a group's intensity, passion, energy is also important. A lot of games are toss ups that tilt on the little things controlled by energy. The "blue collar" scorecard (I know, my bad).

No one's saying that energy guarantees success, example Hurley, but you better have some naturally intense guys on the squad if the coach doesn't bring it.

Having watched a few Arkansas State games this year, they'd be no worse than middle of the pack in the MAC. Their talent alone is better than half of our conference.

Who knows what the future holds for them but they at least have plenty of reasons to be excited with the caliber of guys they're recruiting paired with their fun style of play.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Thanks 1

Say what you will, but Hodgson understands college kids, marketing, virality, etc. Never in a million years would we bring in some popular sports joker personalities for a big conference matchup. Our game presentation is too busy blaring Cotton Eye Joe at the couple hundred septuagenarians that make up our crowds.

Screenshot_20240214_101642_Instagram.thumb.jpg.47b8efa2881c3a3cbc721db3d311f76b.jpg

Agreed on your points but if there’s one thing that will keep me away from a UB basketball game it’s Frank Fleming. I’d watch us get destroyed by Niagara over seeing that guy in Alumni Arena. 

get rid of cotton eyed Joe please

1 hour ago, rma said:

Agreed on your points but if there’s one thing that will keep me away from a UB basketball game it’s Frank Fleming. I’d watch us get destroyed by Niagara over seeing that guy in Alumni Arena. 

get rid of cotton eyed Joe please

Lol what's your beef with the Tank? 

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Lol what's your beef with the Tank? 

He's an encyclopedia of baseball knowledge but acts like a child when his team (which happens to be my team) does anything remotely bad.

He's predicting they go 32-130 this season, which is 18 less wins than a team that signed something like 3 free agents and has an owner that is attempting to move the team. And is worse than every other team in the history of MLB since 1900. To Frank every player is washed up until they sign elsewhere, then they're an all star. FWIW the three top pitchers he whined about that signed elsewhere or were traded are injured and returning in June (Scherzer), injured and returning in August (DeGrom), and may or may not be available on opening day (Verlander).

I get that it's all part of his shtick and Barstool needs the clicks so he says outrageous stuff. I'd just rather listen to him go through random baseball anecdotes and history than watch him scream into a microphone about a 5-4 loss in April. And there's so much screaming that it isn't worth it for me to follow the other stuff IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rma said:

He's an encyclopedia of baseball knowledge but acts like a child when his team (which happens to be my team) does anything remotely bad.

He's predicting they go 32-130 this season, which is 18 less wins than a team that signed something like 3 free agents and has an owner that is attempting to move the team. And is worse than every other team in the history of MLB since 1900. To Frank every player is washed up until they sign elsewhere, then they're an all star. FWIW the three top pitchers he whined about that signed elsewhere or were traded are injured and returning in June (Scherzer), injured and returning in August (DeGrom), and may or may not be available on opening day (Verlander).

I get that it's all part of his shtick and Barstool needs the clicks so he says outrageous stuff. I'd just rather listen to him go through random baseball anecdotes and history than watch him scream into a microphone about a 5-4 loss in April. And there's so much screaming that it isn't worth it for me to follow the other stuff IMO

Ahh, Mets fan. I get a kick out of his cartoonish exasperation over teams I don't care for (especially the Dolphins, Devils, indifferent about Mets), but I totally understand it being unbearable if it overlaps with your own real passion.

I enjoy him and Rico and any of the other wrestling/shock jock-style guys at Barstool because I treat them like the fictional characters that they largely are. Not sure I'd be able to share a 30-minute Uber ride locked in with either though. But then again, I'd take either of them over Nate Geary or Sneaky Joe any day of the week so 😂

Point remains though, Hodgson gets current college basketball as well as anyone today. He's a hustler, he was Nate's bag man, and my guess is he'll be HC at a second tier P5 after two more seasons.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 11:17 AM, TheCommish said:

UB alums can live in denial but the reality is George Halcovage is a bad head coach. George Halcovage coaching is like singer Leif Garret not being able to sing and have a singer behind a curtain the girls would go wild back in the day for him. Now Leif Garret overtime became a better singer but he was very limited. Nothing is going to make Leif Garret Elvis Presley. There are Western New York high school coaches that would do a better job than George Halcovage. How embarrassing for UB basketball. The reality is Division 2 coaches like Mike McDonald would have done a better job than George Halcovage. There is no reason to get excited for UB basketball under George Halcovage just waiting until UB can afford to fire him. Stuff like this is exactly what is wrong with college athletics today. You can be a village idiot wait your turn and become a millionaire it’s a disgrace. I have more issues with college coaches brand new unproven with fat money long term contracts over paying the players some NIL money. If Bobby Hurley becomes available from Arizona State I would hire him back right away. UB is so bad Jim Whitesell would improve this team immediately. UB alums dreaming away are going to see what BSF sees. I realize with a UB education it takes longer to face reality George Halcovage is a bad coach. I see no real improvement just street basketball chucking up shots like former head coach Tom Parrotta at Canisius College back in the day. Tom Parrotta couldn’t coach either letting the players play street basketball. Sometime the Griffs would get hot and win a game or two but it’s fools gold in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo