Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

On 8/23/2023 at 10:36 AM, DooleyBull06 said:

The transfer portal is similar to one and dones. Every year you’re essentially forming a new team. If this is the route he wants to go then more power to him. As we are seeing, there’s a bunch of ways to form a team. But more important, is winning. If you don’t win none of it matters. If you win players, regardless if they are transfers or high schoolers, will want to play for you.

This is a very good way to get a talented team on the floor at a mid-major when you are a coach that isn't very good at coaching or player development.  

You bring in talent above the level of your conference and even when they underperform because they don't play well together you find success simply due to their talent they came in with.

However, in the NIL era, even more so than before, you're going to have to be going after the guys that other programs passed on.  Your offer is going to have to be their best offer to land a recruit.  Which means you're going to end up with the legal issues and locker room drama that come with the type of players who found Arkansas State as their best option, despite their great talent, as many other programs passed on them.

This could work out for BH if he finds success right away and is poached by a major conference program hopeful to get a fast riser on the cheap, but it could easily turn sideways quickly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, Chet said:

Interesting it was down to George Mason, Georgia St and Arkansas St for a 4-star. He had P5 offers, I assume Hodgson was the recruiter for the Alabama offer. Hopefully it’s a good pickup for him.

Edited by UBinMD

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Chet said:

DE9223A2-85F5-470E-B4E8-4CAA9892883D.png

That trilly Donavon has now tweeted a few times about hodgson recruits, and if I remember correctly was tweeting things about the chaos revolving around the ub job opening

I guess what I'm saying is I wonder if there is a connection there 

Anyways glad to see him still doing his thing in recruiting and hope it translates into success on the court 

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

That trilly Donavon has now tweeted a few times about hodgson recruits, and if I remember correctly was tweeting things about the chaos revolving around the ub job opening

I guess what I'm saying is I wonder if there is a connection there 

Anyways glad to see him still doing his thing in recruiting and hope it translates into success on the court 

Who is Trilly Donovan? Legit question.

26 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He’s still in college? 

Getting his PhD in Russian Literature at Arkansas State.

26 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

https://theathletic.com/4765841/2023/08/15/trilly-donovan-college-basketball-twitter/

At 4:13 a.m. ET on Jan. 5, a little-known Twitter account going by the name of Trilly Donovan posted that then-Texas coach Chris Beard would be fired later that day. About 10 hours later, national reporters began tweeting out the news of Beard’s dismissal.

That wouldn’t be the first — or last — of Trilly Donovan’s scoops. Though few noticed, he broke the news of Tulsa’s interest in Eric Konkol in March 2020. He also had the ACC/Big Ten Challenge coming to an end. It was nearly a year into the account’s existence when he broke the Beard news, and he had around only 300 followers at the time. But by the time the transfer portal started humming in April, Trilly Donovan had gained a reputation as one of college basketball’s most trusted news breakers. He has over 24,500 followers on the platform now known as X, and fans fervently await his dispatches on recruiting and coaching moves.

“He’s pretty accurate,” Kansas State coach Jerome Tang said. “It’s like he’s sitting in people’s staff meetings.”

All of which raises the obvious question: Who the heck is Trilly Donovan?

I tried to solve the mystery myself and even got him to agree to an interview. Once given a phone number, I could surely crack the case. One problem: He had ground rules. It had to be over Zoom, he wasn’t turning on his camera and I had to promise not to share the audio.

Trilly did provide the following biographical info: He works in college basketball, he’s 32, married, no kids and lives somewhere out East. That’s the extent of what he’ll reveal. Even in an interview setting, he will not say his first name. He will say he’s not an agent. He’s not a reporter. He’s not a coach. And …

“I’m not Billy Donovan,” he said, laughing. (But he grew up a Donovan-era Florida fan.)

The account started in February 2022 fairly innocently and never with the intention to become what it is now. The man behind Trilly Donovan said he’s always been a huge college hoops fan and is in a group chat with three other buddies involved in the sport. His original intention was to post some fun obscure stats and “point out nuances that maybe a casual college basketball fan wouldn’t catch.” That’s what it was at first, with ridiculous tweets like this one that celebrated Arizona walk-on Grant Weitman for his “trillions” — the Mark Titus-created term for putting up zeroes in every box score category except minutes and the motivation behind the “Trilly” in Trilly Donovan.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It's a burner account, it's made a lot of noise in this off season breaking some big time news in basketball

It's gotten to the point people have tried to figure who he is, was even an article about him in the athletic (edit: post above mine has a portion of this article)

Edited by Tee4three

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

PhD in Russian Literature even sounds made up. No offense to Arkansas St, but is Russian Literature a big thing there?

PhDs in Russian Literature absolutely exist, Tolstoy, Gogol, Pushkin, Dostoevsky...

But you caught me, it was a stupid joke poking fun at the academic rigor of Arkansas State and our old buddy 'Quil. 😅

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

PhDs in Russian Literature absolutely exist, Tolstoy, Gogol, Pushkin, Dostoevsky...

But you caught me, it was a stupid joke poking fun at the academic rigor of Arkansas State and our old buddy 'Quil. 😅

I had no doubt it was a real major, I was just suspicious that this particular institution had a robust Russian literature department. 🤣

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Russia must be a thing is Arkansas.  Pat Summerall was a Russian History major at the University of Arkansas.

0.14% of the state of Arkansas is considered Russian, national average 0.75%. Jonesboro (location of Arkansas St) is below the state average at 0.11%. Little Rock is slightly above the average at 0.15%. Yarborough Landing leads the state at 7.59%. May you one day win a trivia contest with this information. 

• 2 months later...

“Blue Collar Basketball” seemed to mesh with the royal blue of UB better than the crimson of Bama.  Shame we couldn’t have trademarked the term somehow, bigger shame it has faded from being the Bulls’ identity/philosophy. 

Edited by Bluebird96

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Gotta love the Alabama hard hat for a program with more resources than God. 

Resources plus hard work is a highly effective combination from my experience. They're not always mutually exclusive.

How is #8 Kenpom Alabama not ranked atm?