Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

48 minutes ago, Chet said:

It looks like $$$$$ is pouring into Arkansas State’s collective. Good first season, metrics all rising quickly, highly rated recruits in the pipeline. I’m jealous.

Serious question because I really want to understand the economics of mid-majors and our peers. Based upon this, is their target $150k for this year? They currently have $51k? Is this money then distributed to the current players and then incoming players? Any idea on the distribution? I assume it’s not even, but does everyone get something or just a couple guys get it? What if an incoming guy gets more than the best remaining guy? Since the university supposedly isn’t involved in these things, who actually determines how this distribution works?

I had heard Jack got around $75k and CuJu was $150k+car (not sure if ever validated). If that’s the case, would still be tough to keep players I would think for mid-majors. You would really need $1 millionish I would think. Is this distribution a one time bonus type or do you get an annual payout too? 

final thought, I’m assuming this is taxable income so does that get held back for the players or do they get smacked with a tax bill of 30%-45% of this NIL money? 

I am really fascinated and would love to know what is truly real.

17 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

final thought, I’m assuming this is taxable income so does that get held back for the players or do they get smacked with a tax bill of 30%-45% of this NIL money? 

I don't think independent contractors typically get taxes withheld. And the non-cash NIL incentives (car, tattoos, limo ride to the 2005 Heisman Awards) are considered taxable too.

Ideally the collectives will help educate everyone involved in the taxes involved, making ES payments, etc. In reality do you think most are?

28 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Serious question because I really want to understand the economics of mid-majors and our peers. Based upon this, is their target $150k for this year? They currently have $51k? Is this money then distributed to the current players and then incoming players? Any idea on the distribution? I assume it’s not even, but does everyone get something or just a couple guys get it? What if an incoming guy gets more than the best remaining guy? Since the university supposedly isn’t involved in these things, who actually determines how this distribution works?

I had heard Jack got around $75k and CuJu was $150k+car (not sure if ever validated). If that’s the case, would still be tough to keep players I would think for mid-majors. You would really need $1 millionish I would think. Is this distribution a one time bonus type or do you get an annual payout too? 

I am really fascinated and would love to know what is truly real.

A donor is matching up to $150k.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rma said:

I don't think independent contractors typically get taxes withheld. And the non-cash NIL incentives (car, tattoos, limo ride to the 2005 Heisman Awards) are considered taxable too.

Ideally the collectives will help educate everyone involved in the taxes involved, making ES payments, etc. In reality do you think most are?

I guess just another side effect that may turn into a bad outcome for the kids they are supposedly helping. You know the IRS is going to want their cut no matter how many points you score.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

CBInfor Arkansas St

Chicago State is in the CBI?  The same Chicago State that was a perennial doormat in the old Mid-Continent?  12-18 this year and #302 KenPom as an Independent.  Not sure how that rises to the level of being invited to one of these tournaments 🤔 .  But good for them

And good luck to Ark St. 

One of BH recruits, who redshirted this season, is going into the portal. You just never know what the hell is going on and what looks like one thing on the outside may not be what it is on the inside. There is no perfect scenario. Maybe BH, after seeing him practice, etc. didn't feel he was a fit either and it is best for both sides. MBB is a wacky, wild new world!

7 hours ago, UBinMD said:

One of BH recruits, who redshirted this season, is going into the portal. You just never know what the hell is going on and what looks like one thing on the outside may not be what it is on the inside. There is no perfect scenario. Maybe BH, after seeing him practice, etc. didn't feel he was a fit either and it is best for both sides. MBB is a wacky, wild new world!

It’s why relying on so many freshman is a problem. It’s year to year right now. 

40 minutes ago, Chet said:

It’s why relying on so many freshman is a problem. It’s year to year right now. 

Dont disagree, but in this case, the Ark St player was a JUCO transfer and was a medical redshirt. You just don’t know anymore 

45 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Can we lock this thread unless it actually pertains to us? Feel free to go to their board if you want to oogle over BH. He’s not our coach. Time we move on. 

Seriously? People are enjoying this thread and posting because it's an interesting topic. Hodgson is a former UB assistant and many of the things he's doing at Arkansas State apply to what we believe should be happening at Buffalo.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Can we lock this thread unless it actually pertains to us? Feel free to go to their board if you want to oogle over BH. He’s not our coach. Time we move on. 

A Bit ridiculous - He's a Buffalo Native, Former Buffalo Assistant during our most successful years and he's doing well - Nothing wrong with talking about him on here! Not to mention Jamie Quarles is over there and LaQuil - More than enough Buffalo connections to warrant a thread! 
Plus - it's more interesting to read about him than our current crop right now! 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:01 PM, UBinMD said:

I guess just another side effect that may turn into a bad outcome for the kids they are supposedly helping. You know the IRS is going to want their cut no matter how many points you score.

I think the teammates who are majoring in accounting will set everyone straight on how to navigate that issue.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Who thinks we should extend GHIII?

If the team preforms better next year I’d consider it. Some of our freshmen were pretty impressive at times this year, they’ll only get better. Just need to hit the portal hard and find some players to surround them with. The young guys seem very bought into the process so I think they’ll stay for the ride. I’d go and grab another transfer center and PG instead of another freshman 

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

If the team preforms better next year I’d consider it. Some of our freshmen were pretty impressive at times this year, they’ll only get better. Just need to hit the portal hard and find some players to surround them with. The young guys seem very bought into the process so I think they’ll stay for the ride. I’d go and grab another transfer center and PG instead of another freshman 

Rightfully none of the freshmen were all-freshmen team in the weakest MAC in 20 years. Extending Halcovage for improving on 3 wins would be insane

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 4:45 PM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I'm assuming he would've left for SMU either way. Big time pay raise and competition increase from the MAC/Sun Belt to the American and soon to be ACC. Lanier was UB's top choice entering their search at the time according to people I spoke with back then.

Seems Rob Lanier will be named Rice University's new head coach tomorrow.

I live in Houston nowadays. Rice University's athletic program has floundered for the past 20 years or so (though baseball won the NCAA championship in 2003, it too has struggled the past decade). But the university has a new president and a new AD, has moved to the AAC, so this higher profile hiring may indicate a new interest in collegiate athletics.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UB77 said:

I live in Houston nowadays. Rice University's athletic program has floundered for the past 20 years or so (though baseball won the NCAA championship in 2003, it too has struggled the past decade). But the university has a new president and a new AD, has moved to the AAC, so this higher profile hiring may indicate a new interest in collegiate athletics.

Coach is familiar with conference so that’s a benefit too.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:17 AM, UBinMD said:

That didn't take long. Doesn't even have to move out of the state!

With the way the portal is now there no time to have a coaching search take longer than a week. You might miss out on transfers. And be left in a situation like we were a year ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

With the way the portal is now there no time to have a coaching search take longer than a week. You might miss out on transfers. And be left in a situation like we were a year ago.

Are we still doing the thing where we pretend that there was nothing that Halcovage could've done last year? He was hired on March 30th last year and brought in 5 unranked freshmen and a transfer who was once a high level recruit that did nothing at Maryland.

This year with a full recruiting cycle he has gotten 3 unranked freshmen and a transfer who was a once a high level recruit that did nothing at Maryland. If last year he needed more time, he evidently squandered it all this year (tbf he has 4 days to prove me wrong)

Edited by trueblue32

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Are we still doing the thing where we pretend that there was nothing that Halcovage could've done last year?

I am not doing anything. I’m merely saying that schools cannot drag the head coaching searching out for fear of missing out on transfers and risk of losing all their players to the portal. 

As far as our house goes, this is why I’ve not been as active commenting this year.  Bc it’s all doom and gloom on the board. I am willing to give Halcovage a contract cycle to show he can build this thing. But yes his recruits have been underwhelming. Maybe not using all the scholarships available was by design? To a degree he’s been overwhelmed as a first time coach. He needs to get better. The program needs to be better. Simple said.