Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

On ESPNU right now Arkansas State is having a party beating top of conference Troy with the Barstool jesters in attendance. It's not quite the atmosphere we had in the best Oats years, but click it on if you want to see what a mid-major school having fun looks like. Oh and they sell the devil's brew too.

Not gonna lie, I'm jealous and so are the UB STHs I'm texting with.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

On ESPNU right now Arkansas State is having a party beating top of conference Troy with the Barstool jesters in attendance. It's not quite the atmosphere we had in the best Oats years, but click it on if you want to see what a mid-major school having fun looks like. Oh and they sell the devil's brew too.

If hodgson is there more than 2 seasons I'll be jealous

Think he bolts for any power conference job as soon as this off season

I'm glad to see him doing well though

I always root for Western New York guys 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If hodgson is there more than 2 seasons I'll be jealous

Think he bolts for any power conference job as soon as this off season

I'm glad to see him doing well though

I always root for Western New York guys 

Zero chances. He’s got this team playing hard. A lot of energy in a nearly full building. He will be a favorite to win the sunbelt then bolt after. Arkansas st was terrible last year.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Watching the game too. Troy fought back to make it close. That gym is rocking on a Thursday night. I don't recall Alumni ever being that pumped. That's college ball.

9 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Watching the game too. Troy fought back to make it close. That gym is rocking on a Thursday night. I don't recall Alumni ever being that pumped. That's college ball.

6,709 for the 84-73 victory over Bowling Green on 3/8/19 was better than this. Totally crazy with three deep around the track.

But yeah ASU had an excellent atmosphere tonight. They play some crazy Oats ball, almost exclusively threes, dunks, and layups, and frenzied highs and lows. Only a 13-14 record coming into the game though, so the on-court product isn't some massive draw yet. Marketing, fun, self-awareness, and energy can go a long way it seems. 

38 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

6,709 for the 84-73 victory over Bowling Green on 3/8/19 was better than this. Totally crazy with three deep around the track.

But yeah ASU had an excellent atmosphere tonight. They play some crazy Oats ball, almost exclusively threes, dunks, and layups, and frenzied highs and lows. Only a 13-14 record coming into the game though, so the on-court product isn't some massive draw yet. Marketing, fun, self-awareness, and energy can go a long way it seems. 

Arkansas St has not been good. Analytically, this is one of their best teams according tovik. Arkansas St is buying into Oats ball. Look at our attendance but no one is fired, no one is hired over. Attendance is down about 300, basically, our core fans is 2500 that will "go" no matter what.

Nothing but love for BH. Can’t say I’m surprised though. Guy understands the landscape and tonight is just the latest example. Only consolation prize would be ADMA getting hired by Missouri. Hopefully he can take George with him too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The Pitt game close to (checks math) 20 years ago? WTF I'm old.

The game where Reggies was hitting the refs table buzzer to get BG back out of the locker rooms because the ran away with time still in the game. 

20 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

The Pitt game close to (checks math) 20 years ago? WTF I'm old.

The game where Reggies was hitting the refs table buzzer to get BG back out of the locker rooms because the ran away with time still in the game. 

Ditto the UConn game (from the reports I heard) the night before the Ball State MAC Championship Game in Detroit.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBull said:

Ditto the UConn game (from the reports I heard) the night before the Ball State MAC Championship Game in Detroit.

The UConn game is still one of if not the loudest buildings I've been apart of

Remember UConn trying to inbound a ball with seconds remaining and thinking alumni was about to collapse 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The UConn game is still one of if not the loudest buildings I've been apart of

Remember UConn trying to inbound a ball with seconds remaining and thinking alumni was about to collapse 

Those were the days when we could get a UConn or UNC to come to Alumni. Makes you think, will we ever get a big time program to come to Alumni again? 

1 minute ago, MKBullsfan said:

Those were the days when we could get a UConn or UNC to come to Alumni. Makes you think, will we ever get a big time program to come to Alumni again? 

We weren't a very good team or seemingly posed a threat but after nearly pulling off an upset of a top 5 team, I think teams got scared

Plus I believe those were the times when Niagara falls was sending guys to top power conference teams yearly and that brought teams like uconn to the area 

27 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Calhoun told Reggie that night that he was never coming back to UB to play.

UNC came as part of three game deal.  Their top guard was Ed Cota, whose high school coach was on staff at UB, Roc Eisenberg.

1 hour ago, MKBullsfan said:

Not until we’re competitive as Gonzaga. We would need to do 2 for 1, no cash or pay teams to come here. Some schools won’t need the money. St Mary’s offered a lot of money to host teams, no takers.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:44 PM, MKBullsfan said:

No UB Bulls won’t be able to do that again. Because the money numbers don’t work today. UB Alumni Arena is a mid major arena at best like St Bonaventure Reilly Center except Alumni Arena is very poorly designed from a seating bowl standpoint compared to Reilly Center. Also a huge problem is major issues with apathy with UB students participating in attending UB athletics events at UB in great numbers compared to a St Bonaventure. UB student support is like a commuter school it’s embarrassing after 30 years. The UB students know about UB athletics the problem is they are saying no not for me and there is nothing that can fix that.

You can’t force someone to do something they aren’t interested in participating in. The problem that Key Bank Center faced with bringing big basketball schools to Buffalo is the guarantee upfront money these big programs want. It’s even more of a gap between big major schools and mid major schools now than back 20 years ago. I don’t really think about it as a UB Bulls fan just winning the MAC games on our schedule. I don’t really care if UB students or Canisius students attend athletics events or not it is there loss.

I just enjoy the games yearly from the Big 4 schools. It’s a Western New York generational thing and you aren’t changing young people today there going to do what they are going to do. I will tell you out of my entire family I am the last link to old school Buffalo sports where we followed college sports. I still follow Little Three basketball hardcore it’s a big deal my Griffs beat the Niagara Purple Eagles in a basketball upset last night. My nephews say what are you talking about uncle? When my generation is gone hang on because UB fans complaining about attendance now. Wait it’s going to get a whole lot worse for college sports in Western New York. Again I hope I am wrong in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Another win for Arkansas State today. That's 5 in a row and 7 of 8 to get them to 15-14 (10-6) overall and up to 136 in KenPom.

For comparison, this is where UB finished each season under Jim Whitesell:

• 2020: 148
  • 2021: 77
  • 2022: 130
  • 2023: 211

Remember all the comments about Hodgson being out of control, not knowing the x's and o's and not being mature enough to be a head coach... All he's done in his first year is guide a historically weak program to a 151 spot improvement in their KenPom ranking and taken them from a 4-14 Sun Belt record to 10-6.

For perspective on Arkansas State, this is where they finished in KenPom the last six years:

• 2018: 281
  • 2019: 254
  • 2020: 206
  • 2021: 252
  • 2022: 181
  • 2023: 287

Hodgson knows how college basketball operates. It's a shame UB's athletic director put his pride above improving the program.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Another win for Arkansas State today. That's 5 in a row and 7 of 8 to get them to 15-14 (10-6) overall and up to 136 in KenPom.

For comparison, this is where UB finished each season under Jim Whitesell:

• 2020: 148
  • 2021: 77
  • 2022: 130
  • 2023: 211

Remember all the comments about Hodgson being out of control, not knowing the x's and o's and not being mature enough to be a head coach... All he's done in his first year is guide a historically weak program to a 151 spot improvement in their KenPom ranking and taken them from a 4-14 Sun Belt record to 10-6.

For perspective on Arkansas State, this is where they finished in KenPom the last six years:

• 2018: 281
  • 2019: 254
  • 2020: 206
  • 2021: 252
  • 2022: 181
  • 2023: 287

Hodgson knows how college basketball operates. It's a shame UB's athletic director put his pride above improving the program.

Not to defend Alnutt but keep in mind the difference in academic requirements between SUNY and Ark St. 

And was it pride or being turned off by the attitude displayed by Hodgson when Oats left?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Not to defend Alnutt but keep in mind the difference in academic requirements between SUNY and Ark St. 

And was it pride or being turned off by the attitude displayed by Hodgson when Oats left?

I would say the two are intertwined in this circumstance. Alnutt clearly doesn't like Bryan Hodgson and was likely turned off by the way things ended for him in Buffalo. However it's his pride that won't allow Alnutt to move past those circumstances when he had an opportunity to consider hiring a WNY native who was clearly qualified for the job.

And while there are huge academic disparities between UB and Arkansas State, we've already seen the caliber of players Hodgson recruited to Buffalo during Nate Oats time here so that wouldn't factor into the decision in my opinion.

5 hours ago, promotherobot said:

MBB majors

4 - Communication, 1 - Legal Studies in Coaching, 3 - Exploratory, 1 - Psychology, 1- Business Admin, 1 - none

The 1 business major went to a great hs, most likely here for education first, and will probably graduate from UB, not transfer. 

Edited by TheCommish

6 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

MBB majors

4 - Communication, 1 - Legal Studies in Coaching, 3 - Exploratory, 1 - Psychology, 1- Business Admin, 1 - none

The 1 business major went to a great hs, most likely here for education first, and will probably graduate from UB, not transfer. 

Not enough communication majors based on the communication I see on the court

Edited by rma
  • Haha 1