Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

6 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Not to defend Alnutt but keep in mind the difference in academic requirements between SUNY and Ark St. 

And was it pride or being turned off by the attitude displayed by Hodgson when Oats left?

I’m always curious about what people know to be true. What do you specifically KNOW about what BH did or said when he and Oats moved on to Bama? 

What I KNOW is the players wanted JW and only JW. I know that from talking to them about the process. The rest is only rumors but from what I’ve heard BH was less about how he left and more about his maturity while a coach here. I've never posted any details bc I don’t know if any of it is true. 

12 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

What I KNOW is the players wanted JW and only JW. I know that from talking to them about the process. The rest is only rumors but from what I’ve heard BH was less about how he left and more about his maturity while a coach here. I've never posted any details bc I don’t know if any of it is true. 

Until today.

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Athletic programs shouldn't be making decisions based on what young, mostly unproven players want, especially in this climate of college athletics. I understand that many of them would've bolted if Whitesell wasn't the choice but UB was riding high at that point. Even if they lost the majority of their roster, a young up-and-coming head coach would've been able to fill the voids on their roster over time. It would've been a different story if we were talking about guys like CJ Massinburg, Jeremy Harris and Nick Perkins. That said, I understand why they ended up with Whitesell after their national search didn't lead to a hire.

I've also been under the impression that the reason Alnutt didn't consider Hodgson was more about perceived maturity issues than how he left.

I had a source very close to the program tell me UB basketball was in big trouble after everything played out in the months following Nate Oats departure. There's a lot that'll never get to the surface out of respect to my source but let's just say the mistakes that took place then have contributed to the downfall of their program and in some ways, continue to impact them today.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

Is it possible that two things can be true? Perhaps he wasn’t the right choice then, maturity, etc and that the years in Alabama allowed him to reflect on that and adjust accordingly and may now be ready? It’s also possible that once an AD lets a ship sail, they move on.

i think one of the big issues with the current GH3 staff is they are all young and inexperienced. They really leaded a JW type assistant to help this out. Instead, we have 4 young guys figuring it out on the fly while getting promoted weeks into their tenure with no reason for it, well in advance of any on court production.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

i think one of the big issues with the current GH3 staff is they are all young and inexperienced. They really leaded a JW type assistant to help this out. Instead, we have 4 young guys figuring it out on the fly while getting promoted weeks into their tenure with no reason for it, well in advance of any on court production.

Correct. Where is the savvy veteran coach that has been fired? Zero head coaching experience on the bench and this season has shown they're missing the guy with 30 years experience. How does that conversation not happen? 

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Correct. Where is the savvy veteran coach that has been fired? Zero head coaching experience on the bench and this season has shown they're missing the guy with 30 years experience. How does that conversation not happen? 

We really don’t have a very good AD…

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Arkansas State destroyed Louisiana in the quarterfinals. They battle Appalachian State in the Sun Belt semifinals tonight at 6. 

If only! We have both been on the Hodgson train since the news broke of Whitesel’s firing.

You can say what you want about Hodgson, but he’s a dog and a hustler. I’ll be rooting for him and Quarles this evening. Both directly off the Oats tree.

Likely a tough matchup for his team tonight taking on App State, the #1 seed in the SB and #75 team in KenPom (compared to the MAC’s top KenPom team in Akron @ #119). Arkansas State is at #130 in KenPom and a few spots ahead of Toledo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

If only! We have both been on the Hodgson train since the news broke of Whitesel’s firing.

You can say what you want about Hodgson, but he’s a dog and a hustler. I’ll be rooting for him and Quarles this evening. Both directly off the Oats tree.

Likely a tough matchup for his team tonight taking on App State, the #1 seed in the SB and #75 team in KenPom (compared to the MAC’s top KenPom team in Akron @ #119). Arkansas State is at #130 in KenPom and a few spots ahead of Toledo.

It will be discussed for years on Hodgson not being hired as our next head coach. He was a coach on our great teams, was a local guy who was popular with many, was involved in the community and who knows who he could have kept on the roster and recruited. He recruited many of the juco’s and some transfers and was known in the recruiting cycles. All because Alnutt thought he knew better and was just riding the success of others. Sad what has become once a winning atmosphere and culture. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, clodney said:

I'd take Hodgson as our AD at this point. 

I wonder if we had another AD or if Alnutt would admit his mistake and swallow his pride would he offer the head coach job to Hodgson????  I am sure he never listened to fans who wanted Hodgson. To dream the impossible dream!!

14 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Awesome story, congrats to him and good luck against whoever they play in the final.

A tough test against JMU, but you never know.

On that note, ADMA should take a hard look at whatever JMU is doing. They just moved to D1, have a 30-3 basketball team, a juggernaut mid-major football team, fantastic facilities, they are also kicking ass in many Olympic sports and are in a far superior conference. They should be a model of how this should work. I'm guessing they have something going on with NIL, but I don't know. They certainly seem to have the right coaches in place.

They are also a Virginia state school, not sure how that compares to SUNY, but it's not like Liberty with buckets of donor money pouring in and decades of tradition that is pulling in vast amounts of cash.

Edited by UBinMD

35 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A tough test against JMU, but you never know.

On that note, ADMA should take a hard look at whatever JMU is doing. They just moved to D1, have a 30-3 basketball team, a juggernaut mid-major football team, fantastic facilities, they are also kicking ass in many Olympic sports and are in a far superior conference. They should be a model of how this should work. I'm guessing they have something going on with NIL, but I don't know. They certainly seem to have the right coaches in place.

They are also a Virginia state school, not sure how that compares to SUNY, but it's not like Liberty with buckets of donor money pouring in and decades of tradition that is pulling in vast amounts of cash.

From JMU Wikipedia: "In 2020, the annual athletic fee for each student was $2,340, which finances three-quarters of Athletic Department revenues." 

I'm not sure how this fee compares to UB, but I'd guess that UB students don't pay nearly that much toward athletics.

1 hour ago, capencaper said:

From JMU Wikipedia: "In 2020, the annual athletic fee for each student was $2,340, which finances three-quarters of Athletic Department revenues." 

I'm not sure how this fee compares to UB, but I'd guess that UB students don't pay nearly that much toward athletics.

Assuming UB is still around 28,000 undergrads, that would be $65,520,000. That well exceeds our published Athletics budget for the year. In 2021-22, we expended $39.5 Million with revenues of $40.1 Million. It likely increased last year and this year at least incrementally. UB in Fall 2023 was $265.75 per semester or $531.50 = ~$14.9 Million. Raise it to $1,500/Year and you would end at $42 Million, excluding anything you receive from ticket sales, bowl payouts, pay games for MBB/Football, merchandise, etc. Certainly something that could be considered. JMU was at $58 Million for the Athletic Department Budget (highest in the Sunbelt on Day 1 of joining the conference).

The powers that be there feel athletics is important and enhances the school's profile. UB, as of now, does not have that same commitment. 

1 hour ago, capencaper said:

In 2020, the annual athletic fee for each student was $2,340,

It looks like the UB Athletic Fee is about $480.00 per year.  It is only paid by undergraduates.  I have said for years it should become a mandatory fee for all graduate students.  However, whenever it is brought up by the administration the current graduate students fight it.  It should be implemented by adding it as a discretionary fee for current graduate students, which will allow them to opt out of and make it just another fee paid by future graduate students.  They are leaving about $4,800,000.00 on the table by exempting graduate students from paying that fee.