Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

On 3/24/2023 at 1:37 PM, UB Horns Up said:

It isn’t the same there are a lot more Division I basketball schools over 300 than Division I football schools over 100. Ben McCollum isn’t that young he is middle aged. John Beilein had connections here and plus Canisius College was in no position to be picky with the low money they were offering. This UB candidate Ben McCollum is more a Canisius College replacing Reggie Witherspoon candidate than a UB candidate. But UB spends like Canisius College so here we are. John Beilein also had Buffalo Memorial Auditorium and no NIL or transfer portals to deal with. UB spending $500,000 only to hire potentially a Division II basketball coach with no area ties and no understanding of the UB program is concerning. Nate Oats started as a assistant to Bobby Hurley so he had a understanding of the workings of a Division I UB Bulls basketball program so it isn’t the same.

UB Bulls basketball went from the top of the mountain in the lowly MAC basketball to begging Division II coaches wonderful what could go wrong? UB is taking all the risk on the potential Ben McCollum hire I say no if it was my choice which it isn’t. The Ben McCullom is just a wreck less potential hire because of cancel culture around UB and some of the UB Donors anything but Alabama basketball insanity you don’t run a winning big time Division I basketball program like that. But what do I know I was only in Division I college basketball with the Canisius Golden Griffins in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You’re not going to build a stable program at this level. If you’re successful, you get poached.  Building the “next Gonzaga” is never going to happen.  In order to be stable you have to be willing to invest and we know UB ain’t about that.

54 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

You’re not going to build a stable program at this level. If you’re successful, you get poached.  Building the “next Gonzaga” is never going to happen.  In order to be stable you have to be willing to invest and we know UB ain’t about that.

Please stop feeding the troll. Dude is hilariously uninformed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

What are everyone's interest rankings - personally feel all the names mentioned would be good hires

But 1. McCollum and  2. Hunter intrigue me the most followed by 3. Washington and 4. Cohen out of the names mentioned 

1A. McCollum 1B. Cohen 3. Mennenga (deep Toronto recruiting ties)

Hunter and Washington have recruited big time prospects to famous basketball schools under coaches who played in the NBA. Not sure how that translates here. I'm also not wild about B1G basketball. I'll dive deeper if it's either of them to find the positives to get excited about, but right now they just don't do it for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

1A. McCollum 1B. Cohen 3. Mennenga (deep Toronto recruiting ties)

Hunter and Washington have recruited big time prospects to famous basketball schools under coaches who played in the NBA. Not sure how that translates here. I'm also not wild about B1G basketball. I'll dive deeper if it's either of them to find the positives to get excited about, but right now they just don't do it for me.

Having Toronto and Canadian ties would be great, really no excuse not having a recruiting pipeline from there

Just now, 121Merrimac said:

Disagree.  Our tiny fan base needs to grow, not shrink.  Simply scrolling past is better than cutting off completely.

I'd agree if they showed any sign of being a fan of UB. And the block feature allows you to click and show individual messages by a blocked user, which can be fun in the same way a smelling salt can be.

2 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

One or 2 lines, agreed, a 5 minute scroll for 1 post, not interested. 

Me neither.  Only takes .2 sec to scroll though.

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

I'd agree if they showed any sign of being a fan of UB. And the block feature allows you to click and show individual messages by a blocked user, which can be fun in the same way a smelling salt can be.

At least they are finally responding to a few replies.  Maybe they will eventually come around?  (I doubt it, but...)

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Having Toronto and Canadian ties would be great, really no excuse not having a recruiting pipeline from there

As much as I'm in love with the idea of McCollum, I'm long-term obsessed with the idea of recruiting the GTA and Montreal. Combine both? Take my donations.

I've said it before, but 10 million people live between the two. 150 current D1 players hail from Canada. It's bizarre that we only had one of them on our roster.

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

As much as I'm in love with the idea of McCollum, I'm long-term obsessed with the idea of recruiting the GTA and Montreal. Combine both? Take my donations.

I've said it before, but 10 million people live between the two. 150 current D1 players hail from Canada. It's bizarre that we only had one of them on our roster.

Makes a lot of sense, but so does NYC. Many of our students are from NYC and Long Island.

20 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Do you have a favorite former Bull from Canada?  Skeete, I presume.  Possibly Boudreau?

I loved Skeete. My memories of Boudreau are admittedly a little foggy (undergrad 😅), but his UB bio says he was a good hockey goalie and his favorite athletes were Jordan and Maurice Richard, which is the sweet spot I'm looking for. What about you? 

14 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I loved Skeete. My memories of Boudreau are admittedly a little foggy (undergrad 😅), but his UB bio says he was a good hockey goalie and his favorite athletes were Jordan and Maurice Richard, which is the sweet spot I'm looking for. What about you? 

Rodell Wigginton was good too, but a 2(?) year transfer won't get my vote.  Dom Johnson is interesting because of two sports.  Yeah, it's gotta be Skeete, right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

On his last name alone it’s him lol

To the windows...to the wall.

Went down memory lane and read this article. He's the answer to a good trivia question - the only one here for Spoon, Hurley, and Oats. His vouching for Oats apparently carried weight at the time. Wonder if any of the current guys remaining are being asked for their input right now... 

Edited by MuchMany
😅
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

To the windows...to the wall.

Went down memory lane and read this article. He's the answer to a good trivia question - the only one here for Spoon, Hurley, and Oats. His vouching for Oats apparently carried weight at the time. Wonder if any of the current guys remaining are being asked for their input right now... 

What a great read. Thanks for sharing this one. I loved Skeete. Great name and even better player. 

• Like 2