Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

37 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

That was a totally different time with an avid Athletic supporter President (Bill Greiner) heading up UB followed by Simpson with Dr. Greiner playing a role. Tripathi is an academien.

Wasn't Tripathi in the same position then? Or just more people involved in the process then that were interested in athletics vs now 

40 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Going back to my previous post about budget and politics. 

I'm going to add one more. There is something massive about to come out about the program.  Either sanctions, violations, etc. Maybe a move to a lower conference. 

adding a fourth

ADMA is not the AD. Plans are to do the press release after a new basketball coach is hired. However no basketball coach wants to play for a unknown guy that might put them on a very short leash.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:47 PM, Kevin said:

Yes. That's what I've heard inside the program as well on my end. Who knows if they will listen to extra advice from the search firm this time. 

Cohen loves the Buffalo area too.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:36 PM, Kevin said:

They hire them and then dont use the information they provide.

By the way, I was also told that "cohen would take the job". Unsure where he ranks on our list. 

Any updates from these sources on why Cohen had a change of heart wrt being ready to take the job and/or his love for the Buffalo area? @Kevin

Edited by MuchMany

Honestly, who is even left out there. Saddi Washington? He seems like an alright candidate. But still, it’s very very alarming that we’re getting publicly rejected, especially by a buffalo native. At one point this job was coveted and now it’s being rejected numerous times. I just don’t get it. 

• Like 1

Does his offer have to match Becky burke? 250k?

I feel like that could be a thing in this search.

Missing out on your top three choices is a mess right now. Whitesell was a mess of a hire for many reasons and now they can't get anyone to take this job.

This is the kind of optics that make me consider just checking out. Was never a big BB anyway but there had been success so I got pulled in. I can understand down years when players do not turn out to be what you expect but this is really making the school/program look like a joke. This is on MA, seems like he was going after the right type of coach but you cannot get publicly rejected like this. If Coach K turns you down, no big surprise but you have to understand you were not going to get him so why try….

I know I am all over the place with this now but maybe it come down to if heads do not roll and this is okay with the powers that be why bother as a fan. It started off so well, 9-9 in the MAC in not good enough we need to make a change. Well getting publicly turned down repeatedly is not good enough…

one name I have not heard put out the, the one everyone loves, Christian Laettner. Don’t care either way just thought he came up once before. Just realized that is the 2nd Duke reference not intentional and not a Duke guy either 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Wasn't Tripathi in the same position then? Or just more people involved in the process then that were interested in athletics vs now 

The Danny White hire was Simpson. Bill served as Emeritus. At one time we had UBAAC (University at Buffalo Athletic Advisory Council). I was a on it. Tripathi disbanded it an relied on the UB Board

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ub2019 said:

We can assume McCollum turned down the job as well correct? Have not seen that officially reported, but seems like it is trending that way. 

While it hasn't been explicitly reported - if Cohen was 1st and Calhoun was 3rd...

• Like 1

I'm checking indeed now for the posting, updating my resume to include my ubfan username 

If I get the position only shooting 3's

(Side note I once applied to one of the sports head coaching positions because it was posted on indeed and was just a click of a button even got an email thanking me for my interest but my experience doesn't match up with what they are looking for lol)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Well, we can't seem to woo coaching candidates so I'm not sure what our sell is to a better league?

Being in a one-bid league makes it that much harder to convince a coach to come here when they see the last coach was fired with a winning record.

34 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Maybe insultingly low offers?

This is why. This is correct from what I've heard. 

I also think there is some "well they tried for big fish" and to get us pumped when they hire someone halfway decent and be like "see they could get someone still" 

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is why. This is correct from what I've heard. 

I also think there is some "well they tried for big fish" and to get us pumped when they hire someone halfway decent and be like "see they could get someone still" 

Coming from the person who said Cohen would take the job and also that it would be done last week.

Not sharing information is fine. Lying is disrespectful.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Does his offer have to match Becky burke? 250k?

I feel like that could be a thing in this search.

Missing out on your top three choices is a mess right now. Whitesell was a mess of a hire for many reasons and now they can't get anyone to take this job.

I think your onto something with matching Burke. Politics the way they are powers that be are dictating that "Women get paid the same a Men". Therefore our ceiling on the mens coach is what Burke makes.

We could just give Burke a raise as well but while we enough money to hire a legit D1 mens coach. We don't have the money to pay the women's coach the same. This lowers our ceiling to around 375k for each coach.  That not enough to get a big name, not even close.  

They should hire that guy named Whitesell. Oh wait. Jesus what a mess this has become. The site crashes and then I come back and read all this! WTF. How far the lure of UB has fallen. Just when you thought we would make a recommitment to basketball we are cheaping out? Pathetic. I thought we’d have some good news today but now I’m depressed.

• Like 1