Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

55 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

The Mighty Maniac in me is still so happy about this.

I love this too. He was definitely a fan favorite. Tiny, super fast, great shooter. He came up clutch so many times.

Is he a great coach? No idea. Am I absolutely pumped about seeing him on the side of the court next year, hell yeah!

CC for 3!!!!!!

• Like 1

I know it’s early into HC’s time here at Buffalo but I’m wondering how long it will take until we see some transfers/commitments? Gotta think he’s been making some calls. Hopefully coach Halcovage is a bit like Burke and tweets out something if a commitment is made. Hated that Whitesell had no energy online (as well as on the court)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

I know it’s early into HC’s time here at Buffalo but I’m wondering how long it will take until we see some transfers/commitments? Gotta think he’s been making some calls. Hopefully coach Halcovage is a bit like Burke and tweets out something if a commitment is made. Hated that Whitesell had no energy online (as well as on the court)

I definitely think once the staff is rounded out the recruiting stuff will start to pick. Love that the staff News is coming fast and furious the last two days. Give it time, he’s gotta assemble a staff that can go out and hit the trail. I’m sure he’s also formulating a recruiting plan in the mean time. And I agree with the energy. Already a stark contrast. Being active on social, not necessarily the coach, but the coach and the program is super important to kids these days. Hate it or love it.

14 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I definitely think once the staff is rounded out the recruiting stuff will start to pick. Love that the staff News is coming fast and furious the last two days. Give it time, he’s gotta assemble a staff that can go out and hit the trail. I’m sure he’s also formulating a recruiting plan in the mean time. And I agree with the energy. Already a stark contrast. Being active on social, not necessarily the coach, but the coach and the program is super important to kids these days. Hate it or love it.

So far these hires seem to be above what we would normally get. I'm liking that. I have a feeling the last coach is gonna be a big wig in either coaching or a former NBA player. 

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Interesting quote here: 

"Hamlet is an accomplished recruiter and coach whose resume speaks for itself. Welcome back home to New York, Coach Tibbs!"

Perhaps Tibbs we be the lead recruiter?

Is it too late for tibbs to grab jj starling or is he committed to Syracuse now 

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Interesting quote here: 

"Hamlet is an accomplished recruiter and coach whose resume speaks for itself. Welcome back home to New York, Coach Tibbs!"

Perhaps Tibbs we be the lead recruiter?

Wouldn't that be lateral? 

I feel like UB had to offer him the associate position to draw him here. Or at least, chair 2

Edited by Kevin

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I feel like UB had to offer him the associate position to draw him here. Or at least, chair 2

You would know more than me. Does being second seat exclude the person from being lead recruiter? Legit asking. I just found that quote interesting. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

With Brey out at ND, was Tibbs unemployed? Or did he still have an assistant spot there?

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

You would know more than me. Does being second seat exclude the person from being lead recruiter? Legit asking. I just found that quote interesting. 

Yeah, chair 2 has more responsibility. Of course, everyone helps with recruiting, but chair 3 (lead recruiter) does a lot of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

With Brey out at ND, was Tibbs unemployed? Or did he still have an assistant spot there?

Yeah with him out of course that plays a role, but I don't think he'd still take a lateral move to a "less program/conference" 

I have to assume he's at least chair 2. 

16 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Looks like a solid hire. Albany, Vermont, Notre Dame along with AAU. Young, energetic group, should be fun!

Super exciting hire for me. The fact that he's from Albany (Troy) and was in the City Rocks program for five years is his biggest selling point (Brey met him while recruiting a CR player). There's no better "in" for recruiting NYS and surrounding areas than that. Their players were everywhere in March. Bring us the next Jeenathan please. 

15 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Is it too late for tibbs to grab jj starling or is he committed to Syracuse now 

Probably too late, but that would be incredible. 😂

12 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Unlikely that Shrewsberry was going to retain him. He was only at ND for a year, with a year at Albany then seven at Vermont, so he hasn't established himself as a P5 assistant yet. That said, I imagine that larger programs will be keeping tabs on him here and won't hesitate to poach him eventually.

Tibbs will be our lead recruiter. A quick Google showed what I was hoping to see - he was the guy who pulled Anthony Lamb from Rochester to Vermont (and now to Golden State). That's a bigger scout/recruit/develop win than anything by any coach we've had before. (How did Oats and Co. let a two-time Rochester POTY slip out of state? Tibbs' City Rocks connection probably. https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/college/vermont/2015/09/07/uvm-basketball-picks-recruit-freshman-class/71857712/)

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

So cage and tibbs were both announced as assistant head coaches potentially leaving the associate head coach spot open, but maybe there won't be an associate and every one will be assistant? 

I still feel there is a veteran presence ready to drop. I could be wrong.