Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

Just now, ChubbyHubby said:

Question answer between Steve Tasker and Josh Allen was good last night.  Somewhere around 3000 students and you would have thought that they are all Bills' fans.  Hopefully they all show up this fall and are as loud as they were last night.

They will, for the Bills 😅

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Question answer between Steve Tasker and Josh Allen was good last night.  Somewhere around 3000 students and you would have thought that they are all Bills' fans.  Hopefully they all show up this fall and are as loud as they were last night.

Yeah Josh Allen was great and all, but my favorite moment might have been when everyone collectively booed the SA. 

Just now, ChubbyHubby said:

I was in a spot where it was tough to understand what was being said up there.  What was said that drew the booing?

There 3 boos all night. One when they first introduced the SA, one when an SA speaker mentioned Patrick Mahomes, and a third when Josh mentioned he liked Brady growing up. 

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Ah the perks of being a public employee

In addition to his annual base salary, Halcovage will earn additional compensation of $100,000 in his first season as head coach, a total that will increase by $10,000 each year through the 2026-27 season, and then stay at $140,000 for the final year of the contract.

Halcovage's annual compensation for the first four seasons of his contract will be $425,000 from March 30, 2023 to March 29, 2024; $435,000 for 2024-25, $445,000 for 2025-26 and $455,000 for 2026-27. His total annual compensation for the 2027-28 season will be $465,000.

That's a pretty solid deal.

Can't believe Jerrod Calhoun turned that down for $300k at Youngstown State and Hodgson preferred $385k in Arkansas /s

Jokes aside, this does point to Alnutt telling the truth. We probably got turned down by Cohen for whatever reason and then Halcovage was the second choice. Any other "candidates" "turning us down" were just trying to pump their own stock

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Can't believe Jerrod Calhoun turned that down for $300k at Youngstown State and Hodgson preferred $385k in Arkansas /s

Jokes aside, this does point to Alnutt telling the truth. We probably got turned down by Cohen for whatever reason and then Halcovage was the second choice. Any other "candidates" "turning us down" were just trying to pump their own stock

From what the article says I am shocked UB did not structure Whitesell's termination to owe him only 400k and not 500k. 

Their could of been some favors being done by bringing some people in. Pump their stock up the recruitment firms gets a higher commission, and in return helps us out. And I'm describing kickbacks at a public university.....

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

That's a pretty solid deal.

I would say that is a very good deal and may keep him a year or two more than we might have if he finds success and we can add some gravy to his deal. We do like giving extensions after all. 🤣

57 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I agree. I think Cohen was likely the 1st choice, I think I heard his wife may not have been enamored with Buffalo (I mean Cincinnati is pretty hard to leave). I think the D2 guy may have been an option, but may not have been a good fit when he got to campus. I'm very happy where we ended up and I'm glad we paid the coach a good wage. It also means his assistant pool money was probably pretty good too and he used it well from what I see.

36 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I agree. I think Cohen was likely the 1st choice, I think I heard his wife may not have been enamored with Buffalo (I mean Cincinnati is pretty hard to leave). I think the D2 guy may have been an option, but may not have been a good fit when he got to campus. I'm very happy where we ended up and I'm glad we paid the coach a good wage. It also means his assistant pool money was probably pretty good too and he used it well from what I see.

This is how I see it Coach G was the second offer 

Cohen turned it down (could be family stuff but I think it could be that he might have a legit shot at being Xavier's next coach if Sean Miller leaves)

The D2 coach I think was just not a great fit - better fits out there for him and the school, never was offered (where he ended up is perfect for him in my opinion) 

16 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Not for the assistants, imo.  5 guys split the same amount as the HC

Certainly not an even split. Pretty sure bring an assistant basketball coach is all about future earnings as a HC with short term pains (paying their dues). 

2 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

From what the article says I am shocked UB did not structure Whitesell's termination to owe him only 400k and not 500k. 

Their could of been some favors being done by bringing some people in. Pump their stock up the recruitment firms gets a higher commission, and in return helps us out. And I'm describing kickbacks at a public university.....

Whitesell also contractually has to look for another job and UB only owes the difference to what his new salary is. So the school is likely not on the hook for anything close to the $500k, but I guess time will tell. 

44 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

… Pretty sure bring an assistant basketball coach is all about future earnings as a HC with short term pains (paying their dues). 

Someone said George took a pay cut, soooo. 

44 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Certainly not an even split….

Of course not.  But what ratio would make sense?

HC 450

Staff 150, 120, 100, 50, 30 ??

Edited by 121Merrimac

33 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Someone said George took a pay cut, soooo. 

Of course not.  But what ratio would make sense?

HC 450

Staff 150, 120, 100, 50, 30 ??

Seems like a reasonable split. Not like $100k isn’t good money for a normal job

I should have clarified my comment about mid-major assistants and even D2 or D3 HC. It’s all about positioning for the “Oats money” job. You need some success as a mid-major HC typically to get the big gigs, not always.

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Hopefully these get re-negotiated over time

How would that work though?  HC gets 5 yr contract, including staff allowance.  All 5 probably want a raise after year one, but the pool stays the same.  The only way to promote someone, is to cut someone else off below the knee. 

Admittedly, the split I posted was based on no research of former staff salaries.  I have no idea of their individual responsibilities.  All of their salaries seem low to me.  I have no idea how accurate it is, just spitballing. 

8 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

How would that work though?  HC gets 5 yr contract, including staff allowance.  All 5 probably want a raise after year one, but the pool stays the same.  The only way to promote someone, is to cut someone else off below the knee. 

Admittedly, the split I posted was based on no research of former staff salaries.  I have no idea of their individual responsibilities.  All of their salaries seem low to me.  I have no idea how accurate it is, just spitballing. 

Pretty standard that if a coach has a decent year they are extended/raise. Usually the coach negotiates to increase the staff pool as well. Plus I’m guessing the state automatically gives some raise, albeit it’s probably marginal. I think we’ve shown as a school that if someone is successful they’ll be rewarded. I see no reason to believe that wouldn’t be the case here too. 

• Like 2