Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Shawn Fulcher (JUCO G)

Jeseph

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

A third-team, D2 JUCO All-American. Nice honor. Top 50 JUCO freshman is solid but he doesn't appear on the top 100 JUCO recruits heading to D1.

The top 100 list is kids graduating from JUCO. Presumably he’s a qualifier (didn’t go to JUCO because of bad grades) and will be joining us this year with 3 years of eligibility because he doesn’t need to graduate to be eligible at the D1 level. Most kids on the top 50 freshmen list will be on the top 100 list next year

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I don't think I said anything to contradict this tbh.

"Some electricity in the guard group is never a bad thing."

"...you gotta love NYC point guards."

"For now I'm choosing to be optimistic, as I understand that it's a heavy lift to fill 8 spots and not every guy can be a star recruit."

I agree that yes, building takes time and yes, high quality players won't want to come here quite yet. It's just a bit of a reality check that we're recruiting down a level from what JW was doing (based on the relatively little info we have to go on re: mid-major recruiting). To get this thing off the ground, Coach and his staff will have to develop talent and put them in positions to succeed through strategy, both of which are just as important as recruiting.

I agree with your sentiment. 

Not everything is built around star rankings, but it sure would be nice to get guys that are highly coveted. It doesn't mean everything as I'm sure some will point to our Tom Brady (CJ) and say "you don't need stars!". Thats the exception, not the rule. 

They also surrounded CJ with high-end recruits. Hodgson is still scoring very high-end guys even to Arkansas State. Ohio is a factory of high-end recruits as well.

247 is the best and most consistent recruiting site out there in my opinion, have we scored even one player that they rank? 247 knows more than IG clips of a player. 

Also, a D1-level player generally should be in the top 100 JUCO rankings. Very rarely will a bad shooting JUCO player convert. I'm interested to see how he can handle the ball, but I'm not sure we can say to not worry about his D2 Juco shooting performances. That's not realistic. 

It almost feels like we are taking what we can get rather than pressing the limits. 

Every single player so far had limited to no competition. Either this NIL money is a huge problem, or they are only recruiting under-the-radar types, which by in large doesn't work. It can work on a onesie-twosie basis but not as your main recruiting efforts at this level. 

49 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I agree with your sentiment. 

Not everything is built around star rankings, but it sure would be nice to get guys that are highly coveted. It doesn't mean everything as I'm sure some will point to our Tom Brady (CJ) and say "you don't need stars!". Thats the exception, not the rule. 

They also surrounded CJ with high-end recruits. Hodgson is still scoring very high-end guys even to Arkansas State. Ohio is a factory of high-end recruits as well.

247 is the best and most consistent recruiting site out there in my opinion, have we scored even one player that they rank? 247 knows more than IG clips of a player. 

Also, a D1-level player generally should be in the top 100 JUCO rankings. Very rarely will a bad shooting JUCO player convert. I'm interested to see how he can handle the ball, but I'm not sure we can say to not worry about his D2 Juco shooting performances. That's not realistic. 

It almost feels like we are taking what we can get rather than pressing the limits. 

Every single player so far had limited to no competition. Either this NIL money is a huge problem, or they are only recruiting under-the-radar types, which by in large doesn't work. It can work on a onesie-twosie basis but not as your main recruiting efforts at this level. 

Spot on. 

• Like 1

Eh being a high school kid leading a wide open recruitment in May self selects for under the radar types. I think the idea is that likely not all of them will be a part of the next great UB team, they’ll transfer down after next year, then the scholarships are available for next recruiting cycle. If a multi-year D1 transfer doesn’t pan out they’re likely eating a scholarship until they graduate. If a couple look good next year and are part of a competitive team with the returners (and a couple transfers still to come hopefully), I’d consider the incoming group of underclassmen a success. I think finding > 0 long term pieces is significantly more valuable than a group of band aids. I’m not going to jump to the conclusion that the staff can’t evaluate and develop talent until they show us that.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

I’ll just say this in the debate of highly coveted vs under the radar recruits…essentially Coach Halcovage is building from the ground up. It was clear whatever the last regime was doing wasn’t working so why not take a blow torch to it and build your way from the ground up. In relating this to recruits, perhaps he is running into a challenge of getting “higher quality” guys here bc we were and are in that poor of a state as a program. Yes we have fallen that far from the Oats days. Which brings me to Hodgson…he very much still has all the years at UB and the bama years of equity built up. He’s known as a recruiter but can he coach? Flip side, perhaps Halcovage is confident that with his first ever recruiting class he can coach them up build them as core pieces then as the years come fill in the gaps. Win games, a title and along the way bring in higher level guys. I for one am not gonna criticize bc we know nothing of these players, know nothing of how coach will coach etc. I do know that if he brought in a 4 star recruit we’d be criticizing if that player didn’t pan out. So damned if you do damned if you don’t . All the while we haven’t even played a game yet. I want high level guys too but at this juncture it’s a little unrealistic to expect them to want to come here when we have a rookie head coach, bare cupboard of talent and by all accounts nothing in terms NIL. That’s why I said before, patience. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

• Like 3

• admin pinned this topic
  • Jeseph unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I was wondering if this would happen when commit from Kavon.   Fulcher did not seem to fit with potential emphasis on 3 point shooting.  Now maybe they pick up a little more size. 

Nothing again Fulcher, but I’m good with this. Ready for one more PF shooter that can be physical

Thought he was starting to turn it around near the end of the season. Had an absolutely brutal start to the season though 

Opens up a scholarship, go get a scorer and you'll likely have improved

Not a fan of running only two pg's one being a transfer from Usport and the other a freshman though