Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Shawn Fulcher (JUCO G)

Jeseph

• Jeseph changed the title to Shawn Fulcher (JUCO G)
1 minute ago, Dabulls said:

Also held offers from Rutgers and Manhattan according to Rivals, not sure why verbal commits didn’t have that. His twitter also has an offer from seton hall

We have an offer from Manhattan listed on his profile along with Marist, Saint Peter's, Norfolk State, and Chattanooga. To echo what @DooleyBull06 said, a number of those offers (Saint Peter's, Manhattan, Marist, etc.) appear to have been during his initial recruitment when he was in high school. NSU and Chattanooga both offered last month. -Nathan, VC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

Thankfully I'm not the coach, but a 6 foot guard that doesn't shoot incredibly well in JUCO likely means there is a lot we don't know. Hopefully he can play defense and handle the ball effectively.

If I'm being honest, I'm a little concerned about the quality/pedigree of player we're bringing in. Competing with the MAAC/NEC/MEAC for talent is not how you get to the top of the MAC. I'd love to hear Coach G's honest thoughts of how it's going thus far compared to his expectations when taking the job.

For now I'm choosing to be optimistic, as I understand that it's a heavy lift to fill 8 spots and not every guy can be a star recruit. I do hope we add junior/senior transfers to round out the roster so we can recruit those spots again soon and hopefully raise the level of guys we're after.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great pick up!

Not worried about poor shooting stats in juco

If a player is very good at getting to the basket or passing but can't shoot, surround that player with four players on the court that can shoot. Then his shooting will mean less especially at a Mid major level 

Honestly improving shooting to an average or adequate level is an aspect in my opinion that just takes time/patience/effort. Also some times just takes shot selection as well 

26 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

If I'm being honest, I'm a little concerned about the quality/pedigree of player we're bringing in. Competing with the MAAC/NEC/MEAC for talent is not how you get to the top of the MAC. I'd love to hear Coach G's honest thoughts of how it's going thus far compared to his expectations when taking the job.

For now I'm choosing to be optimistic, as I understand that it's a heavy lift to fill 8 spots and not every guy can be a star recruit. I do hope we add junior/senior transfers to round out the roster so we can recruit those spots again soon and hopefully raise the level of guys we're after.

I just beg for some patience. Coach is building. And building will take time. He is an unknown commodity as a coach so why would high quality players wanna play for him. Right now his reputation is that of having been an assistant on a two time championship nova staff. Gotta give him time. He wasn’t gonna come in and bring nova recruits with him. However he is bringing in what he feels are nova style players that he can develop as a core going forward. There’s nothing wrong with a NYC guard with a chip on his shoulder. He may come in and improve his 3pt % and he may come in and not be relied upon to make threes but rather facilitate the ball to those that can. Let’s just be patient. This is his first recruiting class, can’t expect everyone to be a diamond in the rough or a standout. 

20 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I just beg for some patience. Coach is building. And building will take time. He is an unknown commodity as a coach so why would high quality players wanna play for him. Right now his reputation is that of having been an assistant on a two time championship nova staff. Gotta give him time. He wasn’t gonna come in and bring nova recruits with him. However he is bringing in what he feels are nova style players that he can develop as a core going forward. There’s nothing wrong with a NYC guard with a chip on his shoulder. He may come in and improve his 3pt % and he may come in and not be relied upon to make threes but rather facilitate the ball to those that can. Let’s just be patient. This is his first recruiting class, can’t expect everyone to be a diamond in the rough or a standout. 

I don't think I said anything to contradict this tbh.

"Some electricity in the guard group is never a bad thing."

"...you gotta love NYC point guards."

"For now I'm choosing to be optimistic, as I understand that it's a heavy lift to fill 8 spots and not every guy can be a star recruit."

I agree that yes, building takes time and yes, high quality players won't want to come here quite yet. It's just a bit of a reality check that we're recruiting down a level from what JW was doing (based on the relatively little info we have to go on re: mid-major recruiting). To get this thing off the ground, Coach and his staff will have to develop talent and put them in positions to succeed through strategy, both of which are just as important as recruiting.

It’s late in the recruiting cycle. Also he was offered by Rutgers and seton hall… he’s not a shooter, he’s a slasher who gets to the basket. Averaging nearly 17 ppg and being a slasher in nothing to sneeze at. We gotta remember that stars don’t matter that much, Preston and massinburg were heavily under recruited. Just build chemistry to be competitive 

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

I don't think I said anything to contradict this tbh.

"Some electricity in the guard group is never a bad thing."

"...you gotta love NYC point guards."

"For now I'm choosing to be optimistic, as I understand that it's a heavy lift to fill 8 spots and not every guy can be a star recruit."

I agree that yes, building takes time and yes, high quality players won't want to come here quite yet. It's just a bit of a reality check that we're recruiting down a level from what JW was doing (based on the relatively little info we have to go on re: mid-major recruiting). To get this thing off the ground, Coach and his staff will have to develop talent and put them in positions to succeed through strategy, both of which are just as important as recruiting.

I’m not going at you. I can just sense an impatience growing amongst some here. And ppl wanting transfers as if we are in a win now mode. I think it’s pretty clear coach is choosing to bring guys with multiple years of eligibility. I wouldn’t consider it a step down. Just a different approach for this upcoming season. And as of today there’s about 1,800 kids in the portal. So still plenty of time.

34 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/fab-50-juco-freshmen

He is listed there

Also he was an all American as a freshman. Not too familiar with juco but as a first year player that has to be impressive 

I don't know if I buy that this coaching staff is recruiting down a level than previous ones. Think they just recruit different types of players

A third-team, D2 JUCO All-American. Nice honor. Top 50 JUCO freshman is solid but he doesn't appear on the top 100 JUCO recruits heading to D1. I like the player from what I can tell, but seeing guys like RayJ Dennis, Sincere Carry, Jason Preston, Ryan Rollins, Mark Sears, etc boss the MAC...it's just a different level imo. Grabbing a guy like Jayden Reid, who just went to USF, is the type of commit that would grab my attention.

Transfers like Adams and freshmen like Ceasar were a different level than what this staff has recruited so far imo. Ceasar was an elite player in the league that Bryson Wilson is coming from. I'm sure our recruiting will pick up and I'm on board with building a roster without taking shortcuts, but for me it's just been a reality check of where we are reputationally, granted it's late in this cycle. Still excited to see how the group comes together. I'm just a little wary of this season's outlook at this point and trying to gauge my expectations (as an eternal optimist).

Just now, Dabulls said:

It’s late in the recruiting cycle. Also he was offered by Rutgers and seton hall… he’s not a shooter, he’s a slasher who gets to the basket. Averaging nearly 17 ppg and being a slasher in nothing to sneeze at. We gotta remember that stars don’t matter that much, Preston and massinburg were heavily under recruited. Just build chemistry to be competitive 

He'd be at Rutgers or Seton Hall if those offers were real and current. His offer from Chattanooga got pulled because they got someone else. I like his slashing, finishing, and underdog story and background. But Rondo was hardly good and big enough to be a star guard at this level. Hard to expect this kid to match his level.

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

A third-team, D2 JUCO All-American. Nice honor. Top 50 JUCO freshman is solid but he doesn't appear on the top 100 JUCO recruits heading to D1. I like the player from what I can tell, but seeing guys like RayJ Dennis, Sincere Carry, Jason Preston, Ryan Rollins, Mark Sears, etc boss the MAC...it's just a different level imo. Grabbing a guy like Jayden Reid, who just went to USF, is the type of commit that would grab my attention.

Transfers like Adams and freshmen like Ceasar were a different level than what this staff has recruited so far imo. Ceasar was an elite player in the league that Bryson Wilson is coming from. I'm sure our recruiting will pick up and I'm on board with building a roster without taking shortcuts, but for me it's just been a reality check of where we are reputationally, granted it's late in this cycle. Still excited to see how the group comes together. I'm just a little wary of this season's outlook at this point and trying to gauge my expectations (as an eternal optimist).

He'd be at Rutgers or Seton Hall if those offers were real and current. His offer from Chattanooga got pulled because they got someone else. I like his slashing, finishing, and underdog story and background. But Rondo was hardly good and big enough to be a star guard at this level. Hard to expect this kid to match his level.

Looking at the recruits so far in terms of rankings we have two three stars in Wilson and Famakinde, Sabol who’s under recruited but plays in the same league as Wilson. Finally Fulcher who was under recruited in JUCO but had solid offers out of HS. Overall it’s not a bad class so far, they’re young so hopefully HC can gel them together as they get older. That seems to be his vision